Gearing up for a cruise - ideas?

djpk2003

We sail away in 34 days and the excitement is killing us. Curious what your timeline of preparation is leading up to a cruise? When do you start packing? What other things do you do as a family to prepare or as activities to continue the anticipation?

Example: We always spend some time watching YouTube videos of the beaches or ports we'll be visiting - it helps amp us up even more. :D

Just thought it would be fun to hear what others do. Also - I'm fighting my urge to pack now, LOL. I actually enjoy the packing part of it and want to hold off at least until 3 weeks out. ;)

No time too soon on your first. Trust me, you’ll be packing, repacking, adding stuff, I guess the more seasoned cruisers will have given you ideas of stuff to take? I only found out after 4th cruise that the doors and walls are made of metal so magnetic hooks are good to hang stuff, sunhats or your individual packing bags say, extra Medical stuff that’s too bulky to put in the bathrooms.

Enjoy, where are you going and which cruise ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I start gathering clothes a month or two out...not like I need swimwear and sundresses in Iowa in September or October. I also get out our luggage and make sure it is all in good condition.

2 or 3 weeks out, I try on all the clothes I am thinking about taking. I make a mix and match capsule, and practice pack to make sure everything will fit in my carry-on suitcase. At the same time, I make sure I have the wine I want to take and pack that up in padding and a shipping box for the flight.

About a month out, I also start picking up anything I need to purchase. Travel size items, snacks, sunscreen, aloe, etc.

At two weeks out, I contact the post office to hold mail while we are gone. I also contact my credit card company to let them know I will be traveling.

3-5 days out (depending on my schedule) I pack everything except last minute items.

The day before we leave I have a haircut and a manicure and do my own pedicure.

Since we usually leave VERY EARLY (3:30am last time), I pack all last minute items the night before except for my pillow and have an alarm set to remind me to go to bed around 8:30. We set everything by the front door, and lay out clothes for the morning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We sail away in 34 days and the excitement is killing us. Curious what your timeline of preparation is leading up to a cruise? When do you start packing? What other things do you do as a family to prepare or as activities to continue the anticipation?

Example: We always spend some time watching YouTube videos of the beaches or ports we'll be visiting - it helps amp us up even more. :D

Just thought it would be fun to hear what others do. Also - I'm fighting my urge to pack now, LOL. I actually enjoy the packing part of it and want to hold off at least until 3 weeks out. ;)

I learned not to pack too early, or at least make a list. Two years ago I started packing a few weeks ahead, getting little stuff ready. We fly down to Miami, check into the hotel and I realize the only underwear I have is the pair I have on:( I also realized I had 14 pairs of socks:') So glad I still wear Speed O's under my bathing trunks, they are a great substitute. Now we start 4-5 days out, my camera gear a week or so.

Our next cruise is Feb 2nd, Edoc's, luggage tags and excursion paper work in hand and ready to go!

I pack the night before a cruise, and rarely have creasing issues with clothes. BTW, I use a 21" carry on for all my attire, doesn't matter if the cruise is 7 nights or a longer B2B. I'll usually take a flight the next morning to closest airport near the cruise port. I've followed this routine for about 40 cruises or so. Changed it up for Med & Alaska to arrive a few days early.

Most of my pre cruise activity does center on what I'll do in each port, even if I've been to one a dozen times or so, it's still fun to do. I'll also sign up for roll calls and meet & mingles pre cruise. If I'm sailing a ship I haven't been on yet, I'll look at deck plans and videos to get a feel for that ship. I'll then pre-book a specialty restaurant or two. For me, that's where the anticipation is, not in the mundane (again for me) details like packing. Of course, since this is just my take, anyone else's milage can and probably will vary.

Enjoy your cruise and all it has to offer.

Edited by evandbob

We usually cruise in Jan or February so I start putting away stuff in the "cruise closet" at the end of the summer. Of course, I make my husband try on everything "he" is taking and I will try on my stuff asking him what he thinks of mine which drives him insane ...LOL. 3 weeks or so before finalize what I will take. The weekend before I iron anything that needs to be ironed and pack the prior weekend. I know this prolongs the agony but it is anticipation of going on the cruise for me. I finally will print out the check in documents to complete the process.

The essentials such as medications, makeup, toothbrush and other toiletries are altogether but I pack them in the morning before we leave. We usually drive so I have a little bag with fresh clothes for the 2nd day drive.

Having said that, I will have to tell you that I packed for our Jan 6th cruise the first weekend in December. We came back from Panama Canal cruise at the end of November and when laundry was done, half of those went into the suitcase for the Jan 6th Escape cruise :D

My husband bugs me constantly to have an excel spreadsheet for our travels but I never do and I always forget something!

My way of getting ready is to start collecting items I think I will need or want and put them in an empty clothes hamper, or I write down what I want to bring if I might still be using it.

After the Holidays I will break out the suit cases, start trying stuff on and putting in the suitcase clothes I will want as they are always beach clothes and it is snowing here so I won't need them!

I will be all packed the day before but will double check before I close up the suitcases. But as I said before I always forget something! Makes for funny stories later