NCL Gem - NYC Departure to Caribbean. How to pack for first/last days at sea?

Jitters

Hello! We are departing from NYC in February (read: Brrr!) and will be sailing to the Eastern Caribbean. I'm a bit at a loss on how to pack for the first/last few days. Mostly - does anyone know roughly (I know weather varies) when the temperatures tend to become more mild....which 'day at sea?' I assume the departure day and the first day at sea are still cold. But what about day two and three? Same goes for the way back. We have two days at sea back up to NYC. Would both be chilly? I'm terrible at this and always overpack. Thank you! :)

I always pack long sleeve shirts and pants for the first and last days at sea. If we happen to be able to wear shorts, great! Otherwise we are prepared.

My favourite trick is to send the clothes we wear on the ship and on the first day to the laundry, so we can reuse the same clothes on the last sea day and for the trip home. Saves some room in the suitcases since pants and long sleeve shirts take up more space than shorts and tshirts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When departing from NYC in the winter the weather usually starts warming up by the 2nd sea day. May or may not be warm enough to sit out by the pool. Winter coat is going to be needed for your departure and arrival, can be stored in your closet the rest of the cruise, or I usually stick it in my empty luggage and store it under the bed. I wear black dress jeans, short sleeved cotton shirt and a sweater or cardigan to the port. All can be worn on the rest of the cruise. You probably will be mostly inside for the first and last sea day, so you really don't need to bring much if any cold weather clothing. Since you show you are from NY, I assume that you won't be flying, so you really don't have luggage restrictions.

We did a 10 day Eastern Caribbean on the Gem in Feb 2016. On the first sea day we were able to sit at the pool with sweat pants on. After that the weather was beautiful. On the way home it was too cold to sit outside on the last full sea day.

But as you mentioned, the weather does change. I would pack a couple of outfits like if you were in NY during the same time to be safe.

I am doing a similar cruise in April. What I did was check the cruise itinerary, and google "NY weather in April, Florida weather in April" to get an idea of what temperatures would be like. I plan on wearing a sweater/sweatshirt and jeans on my first day, and using that on the last day as well, with tshirts underneath. Layers, layers, layers are always my solution!

Hello! We are departing from NYC in February (read: Brrr!) and will be sailing to the Eastern Caribbean. I'm a bit at a loss on how to pack for the first/last few days. Mostly - does anyone know roughly (I know weather varies) when the temperatures tend to become more mild....which 'day at sea?' I assume the departure day and the first day at sea are still cold. But what about day two and three? Same goes for the way back. We have two days at sea back up to NYC. Would both be chilly? I'm terrible at this and always overpack. Thank you! :)

We sailed the Breakaway a few weeks ago, out of NY. We packed jeans for the first couple of sea days and the last two sea days. We are really not 'gotta wear shorts all the time people", but once we hit the more tropical air, we opted for shorts. We had an inside cabin and we love to sit out, so those first couple of days and the last couple, pants were perfect. We also wore long sleeve shirts and a warmer windbreaker and we were fine.

It really depends on what type pf people you are. We boarded with a temp of about 10 degrees and there were plenty of people wearing shorts. (But they stayed indoors). It your vacation, wear whatever makes you comfortable.

Cheers

Len

I sailed the Breakaway out of NYC in April, 2017. It was unseasonably warm the day we left and I didn't have shorts packed in my carryon. I am on the Gem this coming April and I will definitely prepare for the worst, but carry a change of clothes just in case I get lucky with the weather again. BTW, coming back was chilly and I needed the long sleeves again.