A Warning - January 2018

djpk2003

Just returned from a fabulous vacation aboard NCL Gem and wanted to put a warning out there about Antigua. While shopping in port, I was in an upstairs shop while my husband and kids waited on the lower level. As I began down the stairs I noticed a man was lurking behind my husband and watched as he tried to open the backpack on my husband's back. I called out to my husband and scared the man away, thankfully. A few minutes later, I witnessed a different man try to pick-pocket his wallet from his shorts. Just thought I should put it out there - we have never experienced something like this, let alone twice in one day! I did not feel very safe in port, TBH. To all traveling there, please keep your wits about you and be very aware and cautious/watch your surroundings. This was right in the main part of port with all the touristy shops. Not trying to scare anyone - Antigua was a beautiful island and we otherwise enjoyed our day here - but wanted to make sure people traveling there soon were aware.

• Like 1

We had "Dr. Natural" in the port area (two weeks ago) put aloe on my sunburned arms only to nag us for $10 afterward. I gave him $2 and said that's all he was getting, but he followed us around all the way to the cruise gate insisting on money. geez. Can and does happen in most of the caribbean ports.

We had "Dr. Natural" in the port area (two weeks ago) put aloe on my sunburned arms only to nag us for $10 afterward. I gave him $2 and said that's all he was getting, but he followed us around all the way to the cruise gate insisting on money. geez. Can and does happen in most of the caribbean ports.

Had the same bs. I told the guy I would kick his ass and he better leave. He left cursing. I actually called him back and he apologized and left without further incident.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Just returned from a fabulous vacation aboard NCL Gem and wanted to put a warning out there about Antigua. While shopping in port, I was in an upstairs shop while my husband and kids waited on the lower level. As I began down the stairs I noticed a man was lurking behind my husband and watched as he tried to open the backpack on my husband's back. I called out to my husband and scared the man away, thankfully. A few minutes later, I witnessed a different man try to pick-pocket his wallet from his shorts. Just thought I should put it out there - we have never experienced something like this, let alone twice in one day! I did not feel very safe in port, TBH. To all traveling there, please keep your wits about you and be very aware and cautious/watch your surroundings. This was right in the main part of port with all the touristy shops. Not trying to scare anyone - Antigua was a beautiful island and we otherwise enjoyed our day here - but wanted to make sure people traveling there soon were aware.

Hi, Was this in St John's?