Ochos Rios Beaches

Chasing75

I know Ochos Rios isn't known for its beaches but we're beach people and not really into climbing waterfalls. Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice beach day? I've heard good things about Turtle Beach and Bamboo Beach. Interested in your opinion and experiences. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Margaritaville is literally right at the port. They have a free beach. It’s really nice. They have chairs and umbrellas for rent. Surprisingly for a free beach right at port, there wasn’t a lot of people there. As it got closer to lunch time, the restaurant got busier but the beach was still pretty empty. I would go back if I ever go back!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Following.

We've been to Turtle Beach right at the port. You can just walk there when you get off the ship. I think the entrance fee was like $2 for adults $1 for children. There may have been an additional fee for chair rentals, I can remember. No umbrellas but there were trees. There are people offering to bring you beer buckets etc. The beach was just Ok but I feel like that's typical for Jamaica from what I've seen. Interested in feedback on Bamboo Beach as we thought about trying something else this trip. Not sure if it would be cleaner.

• 1 month later...

We did Turtle Beach in February this year. We took a cab there and back. The beach was clean, the water was okay. There was a minimal charge to get in (maybe a couple of dollars). There was no charge for the beach chairs, and like others said, no umbrellas but there are trees. There are guys there who will offer to bring you drinks, but you can just walk to the concession stand yourself. We let them bring the drinks to us, but I suspect we paid more than we would have at the concession. There are change rooms and restrooms that were in decent condition. The water itself is okay. Like everyone says, Jamaica isn't known for it's beaches, but we were quite content to spend the afternoon at Turtle Beach.

We did Turtle Beach in February this year. We took a cab there and back. The beach was clean, the water was okay. There was a minimal charge to get in (maybe a couple of dollars). There was no charge for the beach chairs, and like others said, no umbrellas but there are trees. There are guys there who will offer to bring you drinks, but you can just walk to the concession stand yourself. We let them bring the drinks to us, but I suspect we paid more than we would have at the concession. There are change rooms and restrooms that were in decent condition. The water itself is okay. Like everyone says, Jamaica isn't known for it's beaches, but we were quite content to spend the afternoon at Turtle Beach.

We are planning on going to Turtle Beach next week when we are in Jamaica. I was under the impression that the beach was very close to the port (walking distance). Is it necessary to taxi it?

Keep in mind that there are two different piers in Ocho Rios. We docked at James Bond Pier. It was probably a half hour walk to the beach. We took a cab there because we had the driver take us to a bank first to get some cash. We started walking back from the beach, but got tired and ended up grabbing a cab.

• 2 weeks later...
We are planning on going to Turtle Beach next week when we are in Jamaica. I was under the impression that the beach was very close to the port (walking distance). Is it necessary to taxi it?

jcathers1 - if you're on the Seaside you'll be right at Turtle Beach. (We just got back from our Seaside cruise :) ) Just walk straight off the ship towards the taxi's and out of the port security gate.(don't go all the way to main street).Take an immediate left at security gate and walk towards fishing boats and along the water to the right. There will be an entrance to the end of Turtle Beach there and a booth to pay the small admission fee. We did have a local that walked with us, which was fine (if you don't want anyone just tell them). He brought us drinks throughout the day and stopped by periodically to see if we needed anything. Gets you chairs if you want to rent them, etc. We just tipped him at the end of the day. Overall it was a nice day. The beach feels safe (I wouldn't venture outside the gates though).

jcathers1 - if you're on the Seaside you'll be right at Turtle Beach. (We just got back from our Seaside cruise :) ) Just walk straight off the ship towards the taxi's and out of the port security gate.(don't go all the way to main street).Take an immediate left at security gate and walk towards fishing boats and along the water to the right. There will be an entrance to the end of Turtle Beach there and a booth to pay the small admission fee. We did have a local that walked with us, which was fine (if you don't want anyone just tell them). He brought us drinks throughout the day and stopped by periodically to see if we needed anything. Gets you chairs if you want to rent them, etc. We just tipped him at the end of the day. Overall it was a nice day. The beach feels safe (I wouldn't venture outside the gates though).

Yep, we just got back as well (we must have been there with you!). Turtle Beach was great! Our kids snorkeled and kicked the soccer ball on the beach. With only our ship in port, it felt like a private beach!

• 4 weeks later...

Good info about Turtle beach close to the Seaside. Just curious how was the ship? Have heard mixed reviews especially about the food/ entertainment on board? Thanks

We did Hilton Rose Hall resort. It was really great. Not much beach, but pools, lazy river, buffet was good. Very relaxing. It was a ship sponsored tour.

Did you do the Hilton from a ship docked in Ochos Rios? It looks pretty far on the map, and much closer to Montego Bay.

Did you do the Hilton from a ship docked in Ochos Rios? It looks pretty far on the map, and much closer to Montego Bay.

It probably was Montego Bay or Falmouth. I am looking for it from Ochos Rios & it's not coming up.

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2018 at 11:40 PM, chong67 said:

Has Turtle Beach being rename? Now call Ocho Rios Bay beach?  I cant find on google map.

Its right on the Ocho Rios pier and on the right?

Yes it is called Ocho Rios Bay Beach

Edited by hiddenbeauty

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Bamboo Blue by catching a bus shuttle at the port. I felt we overpaid at $20 pp. The tour operator (which I think was the sane company as the taxi stand) showed us nice pictures of the beach club. We were told lounge chairs and the facilities were included with our transportation.  After the shuttle bus dropped us off, we were given wristbands.  The beach club told us we did not pay an admission fee to enter, nor did they receive any payments from the shuttle company, and that if we wanted to rent chairs, it was $10 pp.  The pictures of the beach and facilities looked better than reality, so we didn’t want to stay for more than an hour or two. We were told you can only use a small portion of the beach under the hot sun if you didn’t rent chairs. You could not even walk towards any shade or along the beach without paying the extra $10pp! We tried, and security gave us a hassle. I understand the beach club is not a charity however we were lied to by someone. By the way, once the shuttle drops you off, you have to negotiate a pick up time with about 20 strangers on a bus.  Be aware what to expect at the port, and this beach club. I’ve read that taxis charge anything from $1.50 to $60 to bring you to Bamboo Blue. I’m sure transportation is much less expensive if you walk outside the port gate and use a meter. On a positive note, the workers at the club were friendly and courteous.