Celebrity reflection 10 night ultimate caribbean cruise - march 23, 2018

Marvy Mare

I hear that the wildlife spotting in Costa Rica is amazing. Sounds like a fantastic vacation. In Ontario, Canada where we live March Break is usually the 2nd full week in March. I think that may vary in other parts of the country and in the US the break could be any time in March. Christmas break is for 2 weeks starting just before Christmas. Most of the people on the cruise were from the US and Canada, but we met people from all over Europe (a number of them were traveling with children) and of course Australia. As a former teacher, I remember that parents often take their children out of school for a week or two for vacation when venues won't be so busy. So, though there won't be as many children as on Disney or Carnival, I'm sure your son will have a wonderful time & hopefully make a few friends.

Firstly, thanks so much Maris for this wonderful report. I don’t read every trip report I come across (I spend far too much time online as it is) but I’m so pleased I chose to open up yours - it was such an enjoyable read.

Funny you mention Disney, as that is what we cruised on about 4 years ago and had hoped to cruise on again. Unfortunately we have been priced out of their market and got our 2 weeks on Celebrity for almost the same price as one week Disney (it was a no brainer really). But I will miss Disney’s adult only areas and can completely understand now why there are childless couples out there who opt for Disney. The blessing with cruising on a ship with such a high percentage of kids is that the adult-only areas are really relaxing and peaceful - surprisingly so.

Do think after 2 cruises you are a Celebrity convert or do you think you will branch out and try other lines one day?

Firstly, thanks so much Maris for this wonderful report. I don’t read every trip report I come across (I spend far too much time online as it is) but I’m so pleased I chose to open up yours - it was such an enjoyable read.

Funny you mention Disney, as that is what we cruised on about 4 years ago and had hoped to cruise on again. Unfortunately we have been priced out of their market and got our 2 weeks on Celebrity for almost the same price as one week Disney (it was a no brainer really). But I will miss Disney’s adult only areas and can completely understand now why there are childless couples out there who opt for Disney. The blessing with cruising on a ship with such a high percentage of kids is that the adult-only areas are really relaxing and peaceful - surprisingly so.

Do think after 2 cruises you are a Celebrity convert or do you think you will branch out and try other lines one day?

Hi again OskarNZ

I have heard that Disney is very expensive. Looks pretty luxurious from photos I've seen. I certainly can't see us ever trying Disney unless we had a sudden windfall and took the family for a cruise. We could spend our time in those adult only areas you mention.:D I do like seeing children on a cruise though. Any children we have seen on our last couple of cruises seemed quite happy.

As far as another cruise line, I doubt it. It might be fun to see one of those huge Royal Caribbean ships for a short cruise and I think that Celebrity is under the Royal Caribbean umbrella. Our next cruise is two years out and that might be it. We have enjoyed road trips in the past and might get back to that. There are some beautiful places in Canada and the U.S. that we have never seen.

Maris

Hi again OskarNZ

I have heard that Disney is very expensive. Looks pretty luxurious from photos I've seen. I certainly can't see us ever trying Disney unless we had a sudden windfall and took the family for a cruise. We could spend our time in those adult only areas you mention.:D I do like seeing children on a cruise though. Any children we have seen on our last couple of cruises seemed quite happy.

As far as another cruise line, I doubt it. It might be fun to see one of those huge Royal Caribbean ships for a short cruise and I think that Celebrity is under the Royal Caribbean umbrella. Our next cruise is two years out and that might be it. We have enjoyed road trips in the past and might get back to that. There are some beautiful places in Canada and the U.S. that we have never seen.

Maris

Wonderful review and your pictures are the best. So glad I can say I know you! Say hello to Ken for us too.

My next Celebrity cruise booked is January 2020 when the Silhouette comes from Edge-u-cation (renovation). By then she will be our 39th cruise. Majority with Celebrity but we have sailed Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norweign. I have just booked Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas, one of their floating cities out of Port Canaveral. I've wanted to try this class of ship as an experience. It will be my destination, hotel, entertainment and restaurant center. Since we are Elite on Celebrity we are Diamond on RCCL as they reciprocate. Of course the benefits aren't the same but we shall see what's offered. At least they have a Diamond Lounge for nighttime refreshments, as we probably won't buy a drink package. Until then.

Hi again OskarNZ

Our next cruise is two years out and that might be it. We have enjoyed road trips in the past and might get back to that. There are some beautiful places in Canada and the U.S. that we have never seen.

Maris

Maris, thanks for the great review of many islands I have yet to see and for bringing them alive with your stellar photographs!

There are indeed so many beautiful places that can be reached by setting out in your car or taking a flight within Canada or the USA . We are avid road trippers and Ontario is one of our favorite destinations within a 500 mile drive of Chicago. New Mexico, Arizona and California are favorite states to explore but we take a plane to each and rent a car when we get there. When retired we can set off from Chicago in a car and take our time seeing what is "out there" under the flight paths. So many National Parks are calling us.

I hope the Reflection in 2020 won't be your last cruise. Is there something about cruising that stops you and Ken from being hooked on the Sea Life and mixing land and sea vacations?

Just wondering.

Norris

Maris, thanks for the great review of many islands I have yet to see and for bringing them alive with your stellar photographs!

There are indeed so many beautiful places that can be reached by setting out in your car or taking a flight within Canada or the USA . We are avid road trippers and Ontario is one of our favorite destinations within a 500 mile drive of Chicago. New Mexico, Arizona and California are favorite states to explore but we take a plane to each and rent a car when we get there. When retired we can set off from Chicago in a car and take our time seeing what is "out there" under the flight paths. So many National Parks are calling us.

I hope the Reflection in 2020 won't be your last cruise. Is there something about cruising that stops you and Ken from being hooked on the Sea Life and mixing land and sea vacations?

Just wondering.

Norris

Hey Norris

No nothing about cruising that we don't like. Just that we started late:') in life, so we'll never rack up # of cruises under our belts that you folks who started in your youth have. Since, like in Chicago our winters are so long & cold, we like to go somewhere warm in the winter. We can only budget one warm trip per year, and because of our old dog, we are probably going to skip next winter's vacation. 2020 will be our next cruise & then after that who knows. The Mediterranean sounds interesting but that would be a summer trip. Summer in Ontario is short but beautiful. We live in a waterfront home & have a travel trailer. We camp within 500km of our home in Ontario about 6 weeks out of the summer. Kind of like a land cruise. We have a beautiful traveling cabin, but no one cooks for us. We can also take the dogs and they love it.

Maris

Wonderful review and your pictures are the best. So glad I can say I know you! Say hello to Ken for us too.

My next Celebrity cruise booked is January 2020 when the Silhouette comes from Edge-u-cation (renovation). By then she will be our 39th cruise. Majority with Celebrity but we have sailed Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norweign. I have just booked Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas, one of their floating cities out of Port Canaveral. I've wanted to try this class of ship as an experience. It will be my destination, hotel, entertainment and restaurant center. Since we are Elite on Celebrity we are Diamond on RCCL as they reciprocate. Of course the benefits aren't the same but we shall see what's offered. At least they have a Diamond Lounge for nighttime refreshments, as we probably won't buy a drink package. Until then.

Enjoy the Oasis. Like floating palace. I would say hi to Ken for you, but he says he's going to read this, so he'll see the hi himself:')

Maris

We have enjoyed road trips in the past and might get back to that. There are some beautiful places in Canada and the U.S. that we have never seen.

Maris

Agreed - road tripping is a wonderful way to spend your vacation and you have a wealth of wonderful drives up there in North America.

I’m obsessed with ticking wildlife destinations off my bucket list and a road trip around Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks a few years back, probably rates as my favourite trip to date.

One day I plan to make it to Canada and see all the beautiful scenery and wildlife you have there.

Happy travels :D

39683356410_abcb96d5c0_b.jpg

I like a straight horizon in photos but with pics of these big ships it is sometimes necessary to choose between the level horizon or level ship. Not sure why that happens./quote]

I believe it has to do with the curvature of the earth, the horizon on open water pictures can give the appearance of not being completely horizontal.

Ken

Thanks for the enjoyable review and the great pictures. I also use the D500 and love that camera. I have the 200/500 lens you were talking about, and for my nature photography, it is outstanding! Once in a while I rent a 70/200 (the best of the nikon versions, and it is amazing, but not in my current photography budget (almost $3,000 US).

Ken

Thanks for the enjoyable review and the great pictures. I also use the D500 and love that camera. I have the 200/500 lens you were talking about, and for my nature photography, it is outstanding! Once in a while I rent a 70/200 (the best of the nikon versions, and it is amazing, but not in my current photography budget (almost $3,000 US).

Ken

Hi Ken

Great name. I have looked at that 70-200. Forever out of my budget. I will have to check into rentals. I have seen a lot of amazing bird and animal photos taken with the 200-500 & the d500 and it’s described in the literature as a budget lens. A big budget but I guess the pro ones are thousands.

Maris

Hi Ken

Great name. I have looked at that 70-200. Forever out of my budget. I will have to check into rentals. I have seen a lot of amazing bird and animal photos taken with the 200-500 & the d500 and it’s described in the literature as a budget lens. A big budget but I guess the pro ones are thousands.

Maris

I use lensrentals dot com. I am sure there are others, but I have been very happy with them. The other neat thing is that you can rent some lenses to see which one you like best. For example, I rented the Sigma and Tamaron 150-600, as well as the Nikon 200-500 before investing the money on the 200/500.

What software do you use for processing? You do it exceptionally well without it looking at all 'fake". I saw some pictures from a fellow standing next to me on a cruise, taking the same pictures as me, and the results looked nothing like the real scene in front of us. Ugh

I use lensrentals dot com. I am sure there are others, but I have been very happy with them. The other neat thing is that you can rent some lenses to see which one you like best. For example, I rented the Sigma and Tamaron 150-600, as well as the Nikon 200-500 before investing the money on the 200/500.

What software do you use for processing? You do it exceptionally well without it looking at all 'fake". I saw some pictures from a fellow standing next to me on a cruise, taking the same pictures as me, and the results looked nothing like the real scene in front of us. Ugh

Hi Ken

I use Lightroom. I love it and actually enjoy editing. I crop. Most of those vacation photos didn't need much cropping. Then I hit auto on Lightroom to see what is suggested. After that I tweak the highlights, shadows, white (till it's not clipping) & black. Sometimes I increase the clarity & may adjust the dehaze. That's about it. I guess if you don't use Lightroom this information isn't much help:') If you do use Lightroom Anthony Morganti has some great YouTube instructional videos.

I was looking a rental options in Canada this morning. We're going camping at a birding park in early June. I may see if I can find the 200-500 for the trip. From the reading I've done, it is the best option of the three aforementioned.

Maris

• 3 weeks later...
Fantastic review! We are looking at this itinerary for nov 2019! I’ve loved reading your posts and I just agree with everyone... your photographs are fantastic!

Thanks so much KateWes. We loved the cruise. It’s going to be a long wait for the next one.

Maris

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the enjoyable review and the great pictures. I also use the D500 and love that camera. I have the 200/500 lens you were talking about, and for my nature photography, it is outstanding! Once in a while I rent a 70/200 (the best of the nikon versions, and it is amazing, but not in my current photography budget (almost $3,000 US). Ken

Just sold my Nikon D500 and all my lenses. After buying a Huawei P20Pro it completely changed my approach to photography - the photos are remarkable and the phone just sits in my pocket always available.

Loving your review & we will be on this cruise next March 22nd. ! Your pictures are great. Hope you enjoyed Ft. Laud., my DH & I grew up there but now only go back for our school reunions !!

Hi Irish Lassie

I'm sure you'll enjoy the cruise. Fort Lauderdale is beautiful. Expensive though!

Maris

Just sold my Nikon D500 and all my lenses. After buying a Huawei P20Pro it completely changed my approach to photography - the photos are remarkable and the phone just sits in my pocket always available.

Sounds Awesome!

Love your pictures of St Maarten! May I ask the cost of Da Party Bus & did you book it on your own or through the ship? We've been there many times, but have never done a excursion!

Hi Judy

I can’t remember the exact cost of Da Part Bus. We did book it ourselves on line though.

Maris

I’d love to see your photos!

Maris

Thanks for your review and pics -- they're beautiful! We are taking an 11-day on the Reflection in November and this makes the wait even harder! We sailed the Reflection two years ago, but I don't remember much about it except that it's a beautiful ship.