Need ideas (help?) for what to do one day pre-cruise Newark/Elizabeth City

vavasmom

We are flying into EWR the morning of 6/16 and sailing on the Summit 6/17 landing at approx. 9:30 am. We plan on taking the hotel shuttle Residence Inn in Elizabeth City - I have flown into Newark before so I know I need to get bags and then take the airtran to P4.

I am trying to find something to do for a few hrs in the afternoon besides going to see a movie. We don't have a car but are comfortable using Uber. I had thought maybe a nice lunch and seeing something in Elizabeth (but what?). All my research keeps either saying go shopping or visit NYC. We live outside of Washington DC and have been to NYC multiple times - lots of fun to visit but not for just a few hrs when staying in NJ. I don't think shopping at the New Jersey Mills Mall will be a popular idea since it be window shopping and we have Potomac Mills not that far away.

We are a party of 3 - all adults - myself and my BFF are early 50's, my daughter is 23

You could try one of the Iberian restaurants in Newark's Ironbound section....I would not go out to Elizabeth...not much around. You ruled out the mall too..I'd be hanging at the hotel, maybe getting a drink at Ruby Tuesday or something.like that.

(Google Newark.Ironbound and you'll.see several restaurants)

BTW, it's Elizabeth...Elizabeth City is in North Carolina.. ;) )

You could Uber to Liberty State Park and go out to the Statue of Liberty and/or Elis Island.

If your Residence Inn reservation is cancellable, I'd look at rebooking in Jersey City. The Westin, Hyatt Regency, Newport Courtyard, and Residence Inn are between $162 and $197 on lastminutetravel.com for your date. Staying in Jersey City would give you easy access to lower Manhattan if you want it, as well as access to the SOL ferry in Liberty State Park, and access to the Waterfront Boardwalk. You will also be able to buy wine. You could Uber directly there from the airport rather than schlepping your luggage on the Airtrain to get the hotel shuttle. Uber to the port Sunday morning.

You could try one of the Iberian restaurants in Newark's Ironbound section....I would not go out to Elizabeth...not much around. You ruled out the mall too..I'd be hanging at the hotel, maybe getting a drink at Ruby Tuesday or something.like that.

(Google Newark.Ironbound and you'll.see several restaurants)

BTW, it's Elizabeth...Elizabeth City is in North Carolina.. ;) )

Thank you for the idea. There are multiple restaurants that look good

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app