QM2 Deck Plan

Pension3X

We are considering a transatlantic cruise on the QM2 which we have never done before. Balconies are rather scarce and not seeing much available except for High Deck 8 - obstructed balcony.

Can someone give me some insight into how much of an obstruction there is? Would I be looking directly at the side of a lifeboat or is there still a decent ocean view?

Have sailed on Princess many, many times but am not familiar with the QM2 and am not getting the information I am looking for on the internet.

Thank you from Laguna Beach, CA.

We are considering a transatlantic cruise on the QM2 which we have never done before. Balconies are rather scarce and not seeing much available except for High Deck 8 - obstructed balcony.

Can someone give me some insight into how much of an obstruction there is? Would I be looking directly at the side of a lifeboat or is there still a decent ocean view?

Have sailed on Princess many, many times but am not familiar with the QM2 and am not getting the information I am looking for on the internet.

Thank you from Laguna Beach, CA.

We always get an obstructed view cabin on TA's. There's not much to see anyway and you can't beat the value. The promenade deck is close by as well.

Some are more obstructed then others. Check out this website for the views. On our next TA we're getting 8020 on the way out and 8019 on the way in. It's fine by us.

https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/cunard/fleet/qm2_obs

Not all cabins are there, just look for the corresponding cabin on the other side, it will be the same view.

Look at the Deck #8 Deck Plan. It pretty accurately shows which cabins have total lifeboat blockage and which will have a small view between boats & equip.

The better partial view cabins book early as there are not many .

We're fans of those cabins for crossings. Especially the ones between the boats or around the little "pup" around 8043-8050. Realize that the port side will get more direct sun on a westbound crossing.

We've booked 8050 for our upcoming crossing and 8044 for a cruise next year.

In general there are two (or more) types of obstruction, due to a mix of lifeboats, tenders and smaller boats like zodiacs positioned outside of the deck 8 balconies. The tenders are taller than the lifeboats. I'm about six feet (180 cm) tall and if I stand on the balcony I can just see the horizon over the top of a lifeboat.

The boats are a fair distance outboard of the balcony and I never felt as though it was crowding us when we were standing or seated out there. You still get better sky view than you will on a Deck 4-5-6 sheltered balcony. But the tenders and lifeboats do cast an orange tint into your stateroom.

The UK site's FAQ has a nice set of photos showing the nature of the obstruction for most obstructed view staterooms. Although US browsers currently can't access the page listing the photos we can still see the individual photos (if anyone in the UK feels like linking to the individual photos here). I think Cunard might have acknowledged this shortcoming and may correct it in the (distant) future.

We always get an obstructed view cabin on TA's. There's not much to see anyway and you can't beat the value. The promenade deck is close by as well.

Some are more obstructed then others. Check out this website for the views. On our next TA we're getting 8020 on the way out and 8019 on the way in. It's fine by us.

https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/cunard/fleet/qm2_obs

Not all cabins are there, just look for the corresponding cabin on the other side, it will be the same view.

This website was very helpful.

I think Deck 8 is the best location on the ship, and I've sailed in the obstructed view balconies several times. I even prefer them over the hull balconies on Deck's 4, 5, and 6. Some of the obstructed views have less of an obstruction than others, and there are websites that provide more detail to that (which cabins are the best). As others have pointed out, on QM2 the lifeboats are set back quite a distance from the balcony. Not right up against the balcony like on most ships. Because of this you can still see the sky above them, and ocean below them, and sometimes straight out if you're between two boats. Still plenty of light coming into the cabin which I love. Much more so than the hull balconies on the lower decks.

Some who have stayed in a QM2 deck 8 obstructed view cabin have complained of the huge orange glow from the lifeboat.
I think the only time we notice the orange is when we enter the cabin for the first time. After that, it is just part of scenery. For us, the fact that most of the obstructed cabins are located mid-ship makes them a plus.

As others have mentioned, on an Eastbound TA, there really isn't anything to see other than when leaving NY. It is frequently still too dark when arriving at Southampton to see much. If it is your first TA, go up to the top deck or down to deck 7 and you'll get a better view than in any cabin balcony.

If you choose a cabin, make sure it is starbord (right) side. This side will be the sunny side on an eastbound NYC to SOU run.

On a westbound trip, it's port side you should choose.

If you live in California, consider going to New York by train. It's nice and relaxing. Also, the luggage limit on Amtrak is about 5 suitcases per person. Personally I tend to fly out and return overland or by ship. This way I don't need to worry about luggage limits.