Group Rates - Need a 7th room

ndsnyde

Hi everyone, first time posting so hope this works! I tried searching the threads and didn't see anything specific to this so posting here.

This is my first time having enough friends to qualify for group rates. My friends and I are going on the Star next May in Europe. I currently have 6 rooms but I have a 7th room booked but am having a friend that won't commit 100% so I am looking at other options.

My question is: I know in the roll calls and Facebook pages there are of course other people that will be sailing with us. Does NCL allow me to just ask someone that has already booked to join our group so we would get to a 7th room?

I just wasn't sure if NCL would allow an already booked room to join our group or if I had to know the people for it to work (instead of them being strangers to us). I am prepared to get rid of my 7th cabin I have if I can get someone to join the group. I was going to ask my PCC but she is out on maternity leave haha.

Thank you very much!

Nicole

I doubt NCL would allow this, but you should call and ask them to be sure.

That makes total sense - just putting feelers out there to see if anyone had done it before while I wait for my PCC to get back. But I am figuring it probably hasn't. Thanks!

A good TA is not necessary to form a group on NCL. A group need only consist of at least 7 cabins that total 14 people or more (studio or solo cabins only count as 1/2 a booking/cabin). They do not need to know each other to be a part of the same group. Many "group" cruises have no connection other than the fact that they are all on the same cruise. As for NCL allowing you to outright ask fellow cruisers to join the group, there are several conditions under which they will allow others to join the group. For the most part, they are for new bookings only. If the other cruiser has booked with an outside travel agent, they cannot transfer the booking. Also, if they booked via a PCC, (basically, called up and booked) they cannot join the group because this would mean a lost booking credit for the consultant. There is still some confusion regarding if they booked directly through the NCL website. Maybe someone else will know what the final word is on that.

My only question to you is are you talking about group "rates" or group "benefits" as these are two different things. I know that the group benefits changed as of June 1st but I am unsure exactly how they changed so maybe someone else could contribute that info. As for group "rates", that is something that is usually only given to true travel agencies. Just wanted to come back and clarify that.

Hope it all works out for you and happy cruising!

*this info comes from personal experience as we are scheduled on just such a cruise next year that we found out about on the roll call for our trip.

Edited by tarps14

The group benefits changed for those formed after the certain date in June. the date itself changed as well. the major differences came with the affinity groups, where the once offered options included Ultimate Beverage Package w/o paying the huge service fee, and gratuities. now, you have to pay the service fee and gratuities are gone. Basically, the major perks that were used to benefit a group are diminished.

as for looking for another person so you can get that conductor credit, start hitting up your family and friends on social media, as well as the family and friends of those going with you. Next, look for a family of 4 and see if they can benefit by breaking down into two rooms. Also, put it out to everyone you meet in person that you have discounted room available for X week, if they want to go or know anyone who may. lastly, another person on that same sailing can slide their reservation into your group, if done properly and timely.

best bet, always work with a TA.