First Cruise Questions

Mr&MrsNewbie

Hello,

My husband and I are going are going an Caribbean Cruise on the Britannia with P&O in two weeks for our honeymoon and this is our first ever cruise so have a few questions. Apologies in advance for the long list! clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

1) Evening wear - on a non black tie evening, are there any restrictions/guidelines for what we should wear.

2) Evening wear - on a black tie evening, can we wear normal clothes if we are just going to the buffet? We are using freedom dining.

3) Room service - we know there is a daily charge for tips on our cruise card but if we order room service, would we be expected to tip the person who delivers our food?

4) Cruise card - is there a way we can check the balance of this and can we pay it off everyday?

5) Any other hints/tip/guidance for newbie cruisers would be much appreciated! clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

OK, Casual wear is just about anything except shorts, t shirts and jeans.

On a Black Tie night, you don't have to dress up for the buffet, but don't be confused with the Buffet and Freedom dining. Freedom dining is in the restaurant and you would be expected to dress.

I don't use room service, so don't know.

At checkin, they will take a debit or credit card. You can check your balance at Reception at any time. you wouldn't want to pay it off every day.

Have a great time.

Hi, we've had cabin service for breakfast and a few times during the day. We tend to give a small tip of a £1 as a thank you but it is not a must.

Remember that if you don't dress up for the back tie event and use the buffet you will be stopped from using a lot of the areas of the ship.

Have a great time and congratulations. Britannia is a lovely ship and I'm sure that you will have a great time and that this won't be your last cruise !!!

Congratulations on your marriage and have a lovely honeymoon.

Smart casual dress for non formal nights - P&O say no 3/4 length trousers for men, no trainers, track suits or football shirts. Dark denim is fine.

You can use buffet on formal nights without dressing up, but some areas / bars on ship have the formal dress code all evening.

You don’t have to tip for room service as it’s included in your daily tips, but you can tip if you wish.

Check balance at reception as had been said, and you pay at the end of the cruise. If you’ve got any OBC that will show up on your account and can be used to pay for anything on board including tips.

My tips / hints:

- Take pack of antibacterial wipes and give the cabin a wipe down, including things that don’t get done often eg. Door handles and TV remote.

- We take lanyards for the cruise cards as don’t wear clothes with pockets in during the day. Reception will punch a hole in your cruise card.

- You can get some nice photos, which although they are expensive, would be special as it’s your honeymoon. You may want to consider dressing up for formal nights for the photos, being such a special cruise for you.

Have a brilliant cruise and look forward to your next one. We are on the cruise after you so look after the ship for us!

Above all enjoy and happy cruising.

Hello,

My husband and I are going are going an Caribbean Cruise on the Britannia with P&O in two weeks for our honeymoon and this is our first ever cruise so have a few questions. Apologies in advance for the long list! clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

1) Evening wear - on a non black tie evening, are there any restrictions/guidelines for what we should wear.

Ansa already given. I ( a bloke wear a short sleeved shirt and trousers manager wears a dress or long trousers and a top.

2) Evening wear - on a black tie evening, can we wear normal clothes if we are just going to the buffet? We are using freedom dining. Ansa Yes you can but as said you could be restricted in other venues. You don't have to wear full kit for this shirt and tie is fine ladies go for it chances are few on normal life.

3) Room service - we know there is a daily charge for tips on our cruise card but if we order room service, would we be expected to tip the person who delivers our food? Ansa Your choice entirely do what you feel comfortable with.

4) Cruise card - is there a way we can check the balance of this and can we pay it off everyday? Ansa balance is available on the TV. If you'e paying cash I presume you could pay it daily.

5) Any other hints/tip/guidance for newbie cruisers would be much appreciated! clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Ansa Just enjoy it . It's your cruise nobody else's don't be pressured into doing stuff you don't want to because somebody that has done loads of cruises says you should. Check out the ports online and decide what you want to do/see..

Congrats on your wedding have a great honeymoon and I hope your life is fabulous together

Kev

Advice is mostly

Don’t stress

Enjoy it

People are kind and helpful. If you’ve got a question, ask someone

If you’ve got a problem, ask reception

Top tip, for a Caribbean cruise

It’s great that you wave goodbye to your luggage @ Gatwick/Manchester etc, but can be annoying if it doesn’t appear outside your cabin very quickly. So, put light ‘sunwear’, flip-flops, sunnies and suncream in your hand luggage and be ready to enjoy the Caribbean as soon as you are onboard. The plane to ship journey is very slick, so relax and enjoy

Hello,

2) Evening wear - on a black tie evening, can we wear normal clothes if we are just going to the buffet? We are using freedom dining.

3) Room service - we know there is a daily charge for tips on our cruise card but if we order room service, would we be expected to tip the person who delivers our food?

4) Cruise card - is there a way we can check the balance of this and can we pay it off everyday?

As someone has already said dont confuse the buffet and freedom dining. Freedom dining is in the main restaurant but you go when you choose (or are ready in our case), usually anytime between 6.30 and 9.30.

If there are no tables available they will give you a pager, they will ask if you want a table for 2 or dont mind sharing with others. You can also of course use the buffet if you wish.

For breakfast and lunch you can use the mdr or buffet.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app