Transport from Giardini Naxos to Taormina

Grandma Cruising

There will be a line of taxis waiting at the tender point which you can share with others.

Think it cost €25 each way when we went up to Taormina last. The ship also offered a Taormina on your own tour at an inflated price of about $50 per person.

Others have mentioned that there is also a bus service but have never used it.

We used the bus, you have to walk round the port front and then left up onto the main road. It was an adventure, but we had plenty time. The bus is very intermittent though so I think taxi with another couple is the way to go

Local bus is easy peasy. Turn right when you exit the tender and it's a short walk. You can buy return tickets from the driver. Little bit of a walk from the bus terminal into Taormina proper, but nothing strenuous. The ride to and from is a lot of fun!!!

We walked the town and had lunch and left visiting Teatro Antico di Taormina until on our way back to the bus. Hardly anyone there as all the bus tours go there first.

The gardens of Villa Comunale are amazing. Fantastic views.

[quote=TravelBugM;55251106!!

We walked the town and had lunch and left visiting Teatro Antico di Taormina until on our way back to the bus. Hardly anyone there as all the bus tours go there first.

The gardens of Villa Comunale are amazing. Fantastic views.

Can you please tell me what is the best way to visit the gardens of Villa Comunale ? I will be on Taormina for the day. It is worth it to visit the Teatro Antico?

Ivi

We will be anchored at Giardini Naxos on 9 July 2018 and want to visit Taormina. Can anyone advise us of how best to get their? (I have also posted in the Italy Ports forum as well).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you like hiking? If you do, it's a very scenic hike. We did it when we were on Journey a few years back. Walk into town and follow signs to the train station on Via ****onale. It's clearly marked. You'll pass the train station and it's worth exploring as it's very beautiful with intricate patterned ceilings and floors. Carry on down the road until you reach the steps and from there, start hiking. The steps will eventually turn into a path. You'll have amazing views of the town and the tendered cruise ship. At the top of the hill, you're in Taormina. To your left is the touristy part and to the other eastern side of Taormina is a gorgeous, imaginative park (the communal gardens) which we liked far better than crowded Taormina. We spent nearly an hour there. Bring plenty of water with you for the hike and take your time admiring the views!

Can you please tell me what is the best way to visit the gardens of Villa Comunale ? I will be on Taormina for the day. It is worth it to visit the Teatro Antico?

Ivi

Both easy enough to visit on your own with a little advance research. The Teatro is just to the left as you enter the City main gate. Short walk. The Villa Comunale is a little further into the City, along the coast wall.

Deidre - Cudos to you for walking from the port into Taormina! That's quite the trek!!!