Norwegian currency

I thought I could remember paying with either pounds or euros in Norway, but now I have a niggling doubt that it had to be NOK.

Help please.:) I'm mainly thinking for chair lifts, museums, etc.

Edited by happy v

Often € are accepted happy v but as their currency is NOK you often don't get a good exchange rate. Doesn't make much difference for such as coffees but for their knitwear etc which is expensive (also a beer!) it can represent a fair mark up. We usually take some NOK to Norway but we also have a Halifax Clarity card (just for taking away with us) and on that you get the appropriate exchange rate for the day with no transaction charge - we use it wherever we can to conserve cash until we see how our spending is going and whether our cash will last us out (unlike with € which we just save for next time we're in € territory we don't really want a significant amount of NOK left over). We've even used it for cafés where it's frequently accepted. I think Nationwide also do a card with similar T&Cs.

Edited by kruzseeka

Thank you both.

All of our ports are in Norway so looks like I'll have to get some NOK. I have a few which would be OK for drinks but I suppose if I get plenty I can use them for everything. IF there are any left, which is doubtful as everything is so expensive, I will just put them away to be used for my fjords trip in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

"I think Nationwide also do a card with similar T&Cs."

Nationwide Select credit card.

The Nationwide FlexPlus account now offers a fee free DEBIT card for cash at foreign ATMs worldwide.

£10 a month - but has several other attractive benefits, including worldwide travel insurance to age 75.

The Norwich & Peterborough Gold Classic is still the best no monthly cost account, as long as you can deposit at least £500.00 monthly - another totally fee free debit card for foreign currency worldwide.

Guess where the pension is deposited every 4 weeks !!!

MetroBank is another good deal for such a debit card if you only need it within the Eurozone. The big drawback is you have to apply in person at a branch - and they are all in and around London.