Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

The only thing I know I want to see for our cruise right now is a cocoon cardigan in a warmer fabric. I may do one in fleece too for nights. I have one in cotton and it’s great but I’d like a nicer one. I’m contemplating a maxi skirt with pockets but I’m not sure if that will get use in Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great to hear that you brought a overlocker. I have a serger too. I would not make clothing with out it. I would not wnat to take the extra time to finish seams with out a serger. What type did you get?

It’s an Elna! A real beast!

The only thing I know I want to see for our cruise right now is a cocoon cardigan in a warmer fabric. I may do one in fleece too for nights. I have one in cotton and it’s great but I’d like a nicer one. I’m contemplating a maxi skirt with pockets but I’m not sure if that will get use in Alaska.

The fleece cocoon sound nice. A maxi skirt would be great for Alaska at night on the ship. I would not wear it in port because Alaska has lots of rain and it might get wet.

The fleece cocoons are so cozy. I made one for my first piece of self made clothes but it’s lost in the garage. I didn’t have pockets though so I want to redo anyway. My packing list for Alaska is so huge. Thank god we live an hour from the departure port.

GinnyHoppa811, when are you cruising Alaska? We have cruised there twice at the end of the season. Experienced lots of heat and sunshine and the second time there was lots of precipitation. We could not get into Ketchikan as the weather made the entrance to the port impassable (my sister was cruising at the same time with another cruise line and was in that port the day before!)

I would suggest layers, and perhaps headband and mitts with a light fleece under a waterproof (Gortex type) jacket for when the cruise ship is visiting icebergs. Celebrity use to do Bailey’s in hot chocolate (souvenir mug extra) and I understand that HAL serves pea soup during iceberg visit

Sue Mac

GinnyHoppa811, when are you cruising Alaska? We have cruised there twice at the end of the season. Experienced lots of heat and sunshine and the second time there was lots of precipitation. We could not get into Ketchikan as the weather made the entrance to the port impassable (my sister was cruising at the same time with another cruise line and was in that port the day before!)

I would suggest layers, and perhaps headband and mitts with a light fleece under a waterproof (Gortex type) jacket for when the cruise ship is visiting icebergs. Celebrity use to do Bailey’s in hot chocolate (souvenir mug extra) and I understand that HAL serves pea soup during iceberg visit

Sue Mac

We’re going on late August. For ports, I’m planning on my usual non summer atttire-jeans,tank top, cardi, fleeclined sweatshirt and rain jacket. I get the worst earaches in cold so I’m planning on a hat and headband plus one of my hand knit cowls. On the ship, I’ve really no idea what to expect the temps to be like.

Within the ship it will be normal room temperature (what ever that is) and on deck will depend on the local environment. Remember that Alaska is in a rain forest (not tropical) so yes you could have liquid sunshine or a heat wave [emoji851]. With living close to your departure port you will not have to worry about number of suitcases [emoji851]

Have a wonderful cruise, we love the area.

Sue Mac

Good morning everyone! Received an email from Burda Style Academy and they have a free sew-a-long with dress pattern included starting. Plus size or normal size (both) dress pattern included.

I Google Burda Style Academy. Is this the right link below. Thank you for letting us serers know about this.

https://academy.burdastyle.com/

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I just pick up this pattern to day. I like to wear pants during the day while on a Caribbean cruise. I also like different types of pants. What do you think of this pattern?

https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7786

I really like that pattern. I like the view with the ruffles down the sides. May have to go to Joann’s and look for the pattern.

We just got back from our 3 month trip. I did a lot of sewing in th RV on this trip. Made several scrubs for my daughter, a couple of outfits for the granddaughter for our October cruise and a couple of outfits for myself from patterns I have made many times.

I don’t know if any of you follow NSC or not but they are doing some really cute projects this time. Now that we are home and I can see during the day maybe I will get some of them done this time.

Hope everyone has a great day ,

Gerry

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who started sewing as soon as we booked our cruise!

I'm working on Cadence dresses from Love Notions this weekend - one as a pool cover up and one as a smart casual dress for evenings.

I never heard of Love Notions. But I Goggled it. They have some nice patterns.

I love to sew my cloths for a cruise. 99.9% of the time no one else will be wearing what you have on.

I really like that pattern. I like the view with the ruffles down the sides. May have to go to Joann’s and look for the pattern.

We just got back from our 3 month trip. I did a lot of sewing in th RV on this trip. Made several scrubs for my daughter, a couple of outfits for the granddaughter for our October cruise and a couple of outfits for myself from patterns I have made many times.

I don’t know if any of you follow NSC or not but they are doing some really cute projects this time. Now that we are home and I can see during the day maybe I will get some of them done this time.

Hope everyone has a great day ,

Gerry

WOW, three months in a RV. Sound great.

I think the pattern will be on sale next week at Joann's for $1.99.

Good evening everyone. I just found out that there is another free sew-a-long with Burda Style Academy for swim suites if you are interested. Includes information for those of us that are round(ish) such as myself.

Have a great week,

Sue - redlady62

I'm back! So, today received an email from Burda and they are celebrating National Sewing Machine Day and they have two dress patterns available for free download.

https://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/button-down-tunic-dress-052018 and https://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/peek-a-book-neckline-dress-plus-size-052018

Do not know how long the promotion is on for. They are also offering 20% off their on-line videos / tutorials if you are interested

Sue

sew many projects and no idea where to start! 🤣

I'm back! So, today received an email from Burda and they are celebrating National Sewing Machine Day and they have two dress patterns available for free download.

https://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/button-down-tunic-dress-052018 and https://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/peek-a-book-neckline-dress-plus-size-052018

Do not know how long the promotion is on for. They are also offering 20% off their on-line videos / tutorials if you are interested

Sue

sew many projects and no idea where to start! 🤣

Thank you for the links. I have never downloaded a pattern. Do you print it out and tape the pieces together?

Thank you for the links. I have never downloaded a pattern. Do you print it out and tape the pieces together?

Yes, you would be correct about printing and tape the pieces together. I believe they have a video or tutorial about how to. It is very important to print the page with the test square first to make sure your settings are correct.

Sue

Yes that's how it works. Make sure to print at 100%. Any decent pattern will also have a 1" square box to check that your printer did it correctly.

PDF patterns can be a hassle to get started with, but I've found several staple patterns I get a lot of use out of. My body type is pretty far from the block they use at the Big 4 companies and I hate altering, so PDFs have been a blessing to me.

I most likely post this story before, but I tell it again.

I like have one of a kind clothing, that is one of the reasons that I sew some of my cruise clothes. I made a day time skirt out of parrot print fabric that I brought a Joann's. I put it on while I was on a cruise. That day I walked across the pool deck and walked straight towards a man wearing a shirt out of the same fabric. We looked at each other and laugh. His wife made him the shirt for the cruise! It was really funny.