Eastern or Western Caribbean?

stephanie333

We've only cruised out of CA. Looking at cruising out of Florida March 2019. Family of 5 (2 12 year old boys and 1 12 year old girl)

I want nice beaches, some adventure, with some culture thrown in too :)

Thanks!

Is there a particular week you're looking at and are you looking for inside, ocean view or balcony and are all 5 of you in 1 cabin? Also assuming you're looking for 6-8 days.

I would echo - Eastern. I’ve done eastern and western and much prefer the itineraries on Eastern cruises... much nicer ports.

If you decide to go Western, look at itineraries with Costa Maya and Roatan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want culture, Western has more to offer. The most visited Eastern ports are more like going to Florida, IMHO.

Culture to me means history and adventure, and people different from US...that means Mexico, Belize, Roatan. Nothing like visiting a Mayan temple that's over 1000 yrs old, or cave tubing or ziplining through jungle. Or taking a boat out to an island that is nothing but sand and a few palm trees surrounded by water for the day. Give me that over a fancy city.

For those that said Eastern' date=' why?[/quote']

I vote Eastern too! We are a beach loving family and after doing both the Eastern and Western cruises, we enjoyed the Eastern beaches much more. We aren't big shoppers in port but from what we experienced between both, Eastern had better shopping options. We felt like the Eastern Caribbean was a touch "cleaner" per say but I would still sail the Western Caribbean, maybe different ports.

We visited Montego Bay Jamaica, Cozumel Mexico and Grand Cayman, Grand Cayman was by far our favorite out of the 3. I will say we visited Nassau Bahamas on one of our Eastern itineraries and it was not a favorite of ours so I guess it really depends on the ports of call and dates. There are some nice ports on the itineraries that they sail, both Eastern and Western, it really is just a matter of preference and what you are looking for.

We thought St. Thomas and St. Maarten were really pretty islands to visit in the Eastern Caribbean and have become a favorite of ours. We are looking forward to our next sailing returning to St. Thomas but also visiting for the first time San Juan, Grand Turk and Amber Cove. I think no matter which itinerary you choose, you will always find a favorite port in each.