Jewel Forward Penthouse 9 or 10?

Notnewtoit

Hey folks, sorry for the quick and dumb question but my finger is hovering over the button...

Forward facing Penthouse for Alaska... is there any advantage deck 9 vs. deck 10?

TY!:cool:

Check to see what is above deck 10. That would be the deciding factor as far as I am concerned. Other than that - both would be equal. The view would be the same.

Cole

Just a quick note. The forward facing suites have some plusses and minuses. The balcony's are HUGE. Plenty of room for the lounge chairs and tables. You can have 10 or more people and not feel crowed. Wonderful views.

The down side is when the ship is underway the wind is VERY strong. If the door to the balcony is open and the cabin door is opened it creates a wind tunnel effect. At night the stewards close the metal watertight door.

The aft facing suites have a much smaller balcony, but almost no breeze and the slider can be open at night.

We had 9500 on the Pearl in Alaska for our 40th anniversary. The balcony was huge but the stateroom itself felt dark to me and there isn't a lot of space in the stateroom. Deck 9 is directly above the crew outdoor area. It wouldn't usually matter but on Glacier Bay Day it was very disappointing to have a crew member leaning on the wall directly under our balcony talking on the phone very loudly for quite a long time.

After seeing 10000 I had serious stateroom envy. The balcony was smaller but still had room for two loungers and chairs/table and had the advantage of covered space from the bridge above. This would be great in Alaska and we're looking forward to it on the Jade in the Caribbean next month. The living area in 10000/10500 is bigger due to the bump out area which adds windows and much more cabin space. The bridge is above and you have to either keep the drapes closed or the lights off at night but I think that is also true for deck 9.

Here is a drone youtube video of the Jade ....provides a really good look at the forward facing balconies and quicker look at aft facing. If you change your mind and decide on aft facing go with deck 10 for the much larger balconies than decks 8 or 9.

Here is some youtube videos to give you a better idea. Sorry but they didn't come out clickable so you'll have to copy and paste into your browser.

First is of 9500 on the Norwegian Star (same setup as the Jewel ships)

This one is a smaller format version of 9500 on sister ship Norwegian Pearl. On this one you can't see the balcony because it is dark outside but you can see living area same as Star video above.

This is an older video of 10000 on the Norwegian Pearl. The sunlight when you walk in the room sealed the deal for me :)

Here is link to a Flicker blog post that has lots of photos of 10500 on sister ship Gem. It's worth the copy and paste!

Edited by kjquilts

Hey folks, sorry for the quick and dumb question but my finger is hovering over the button...

Forward facing Penthouse for Alaska... is there any advantage deck 9 vs. deck 10?

TY!:cool:

I'm just off the Pearl (same layout). We had Suite 9002. It was AWESOME.

The balcony is huge.

Between deck 9 & 10 they would all offer great views. Our experience was that if underway the forward part of the balcony was windy but the back half wasn't bad and it was completely comfortable to sit out there underway. At night they do ask you to keep curtains drawn closed and that if you want to go out that you not have lights from your room light up the balcony basically as this effects the vision from the bridge. We used some LED tea lights inside the room at night that offered us enough light to see but never bothered the bridge.

Only difference in and of the rooms is Suite 10000 and 10500 do have a bit smaller balcony but gain a bit more space inside the room because of a bumpout and they have full sized sofa vs a love seat size because of it.

Advantage of these Suites is they are QUIET in the hallways because it's basically as far from public areas as you can get though if you need something at the back of the ship it's definitely a walk to get there. Lol

I'm sure you'd enjoy any of them. There are only 8 total Forward Penthouse Suites on these ships. You don't get Haven access with them but the Suites do get the other perks including the awesome breakfast and lunch in Maderno or Cagney depending on ship.

Thanks all and especially Karen for the detailed insights... 10500 booked on Jewel for Alaska!

:cool:

Wonderful stateroom for an Alaska cruise. I'm happy for you :D

Not sure if you saw the link to the Flicker photos of 10500 on the Gem. I edited my post to add the link .... really good photos so take a look if you haven't seen them.

If you can get room 10000 or 10500 they are THE BEST forward penthouses. We stayed in 10000 on the Jewel in 2015. It has a bump out so you get more interior living space including a full size sofa. You lose some of the balcony but it is so large to begin with it is well worth the swap.

The wind depends on the weather. We had incredible weather on our 2015 Alaska cruise while in room 10000 and it was so peaceful in the front of the ship even on sea days. It's like a small neighborhood up there as the side walls of the balconies are not as tall or private as the ones on the sides of the ship. We met some great people on this cruise that we are friends with on FB thanks to being out on the balcony and having a chance to chat.

So, short story long, if you can get 10000 or 10500 do so. Otherwise not too big of difference. We had the deck 9 owners suite and my parents had the connecting forward penthouse (9002) on the Jewel in 2016 so we were able to compare both decks. BTW in 2016 the weather wasn't nearly as nice and the balconies did get used much less. The bridge overhang in rooms 10000 and 10500 do provide a bit of additional cover from rain/sun.

That's our experience and hope this info helps. :D

Thanks all and especially Karen for the detailed insights... 10500 booked on Jewel for Alaska!

Bucket list trip for my Mum... I reckon this should put a smile on her face!

:cool:

Congratulations on getting one of the very coveted bump out forward PH's!

You will have 3 windows to look out if you don't want to stand outside vs 1 of the other forward PH's. There is also a great ledge to set your binoculars, camera or whatever on at the base of the windows. My wife would stand on the window ledge often to look out the windows as they are only about a foot or so off the ground.

I hope you have a great time! :)

Hey folks, sorry for the quick and dumb question but my finger is hovering over the button... Forward facing Penthouse for Alaska... is there any advantage deck 9 vs. deck 10? TY!:cool:

We have had rooms on both deck 9 and deck 10. Deck 9 is wonderful for Alaska because you have an extra large (100 sq ft) balcony where you can put chairs and loungers. It’s the only way to see Alaska. The two center rooms on deck 10 have a little extra space since they follows the contour of the bridge bump out above. Big bay window. But it makes your balcony very small. (Have to climb over each other). I would gladly sail on deck 9 to Alaska again.

Congratulations on getting one of the very coveted bump out forward PH's!

You will have 3 windows to look out if you don't want to stand outside vs 1 of the other forward PH's. There is also a great ledge to set your binoculars, camera or whatever on at the base of the windows. My wife would stand on the window ledge often to look out the windows as they are only about a foot or so off the ground.

I hope you have a great time! :)

Thanks for this, yep, I checked out Karen's video/flickr links and those 'bay' windows sealed it for me. While the balcony is a little smaller, it only needs to accommodate my Mum and I (and two glasses of wine) so I think we're good. Also... my bed will be a little bigger (sofa) I believe.

Thanks all... among all the whining on CC, it's help/advice and first hand experience like this that really makes it a hugely valuable forum.

We have had rooms on both deck 9 and deck 10. Deck 9 is wonderful for Alaska because you have an extra large (100 sq ft) balcony where you can put chairs and loungers. It’s the only way to see Alaska. The two center rooms on deck 10 have a little extra space since they follows the contour of the bridge bump out above. Big bay window. But it makes your balcony very small. (Have to climb over each other). I would gladly sail on deck 9 to Alaska again.

Balcony very small???!! Have to climb over each other?? Wow! VERY bad misinformation. I just happened to have measured our balcony when in room 10000 so you be the judge if this sounds "very small":

14 feet 9 inches across

14.5 feet deep at the deepest and 7.5 feet deep at the narrowest.

The narrowest area goes for 5 feet then begins to get wider at a nice pace until you get to where the door is.

Yes deck 9 balconies are larger but the floorpan of 10000 and 10500 are superior in many peoples opinions, myself included. You should be very happy with 10500.

Edited by kdzkatz

Thanks for this, yep, I checked out Karen's video/flickr links and those 'bay' windows sealed it for me. While the balcony is a little smaller, it only needs to accommodate my Mum and I (and two glasses of wine) so I think we're good. Also... my bed will be a little bigger (sofa) I believe.

Thanks all... among all the whining on CC, it's help/advice and first hand experience like this that really makes it a hugely valuable forum.

Your bed will be MUCH bigger! You can seat 3 people comfortably on the sofa where the love seat I would say about 1.5 people maybe. The love seat could be considered a large chair IMO. Plus, in your room there are a couple chairs to sit on (not counting the dining chairs) and it isn't at all crowded.

Check to see what is above deck 10. That would be the deciding factor as far as I am concerned. Other than that - both would be equal. The view would be the same.

Cole

On the Jewel that would be the bridge above 10.

Your bed will be MUCH bigger! You can seat 3 people comfortably on the sofa where the love seat I would say about 1.5 people maybe. The love seat could be considered a large chair IMO. Plus, in your room there are a couple chairs to sit on (not counting the dining chairs) and it isn't at all crowded.

WOOHOO! I am one happy bunny about that!

Yep.... I reckon my Mum and I can fit on that balcony, we weigh about 250lbs combined when dripping wet and after a heavy meal!

Yep. The loveseat/lovechair in the deck 9 forward facing suites is tiny. Scroll down the Flicker Gem photos linked above and you'll see the couch in 10500 made into a bed. I thought it was interesting that they had the bed made with pillows on one side instead of by the wall. We shared a forward facing balcony stateroom on the Sun with another couple and the couch made into a bed and it was set up in the conventional manner.

We were in 10500 on the Jewel in Alaska 8/17. The bump out gives you extra space and the balcony is still huge. It was very windy/rainy on our trip so we did not get to use the balcony all that much, also the boat was rocking and rolling and you definitely felt it more in the very front of the ship. My two kiddos and I got seasick (never happened to me before and plenty of cruises under my belt) Hopefully you will get nicer weather! I have soured on the very front of the ship for future cruises though...

Yep. The loveseat/lovechair in the deck 9 forward facing suites is tiny. Scroll down the Flicker Gem photos linked above and you'll see the couch in 10500 made into a bed. I thought it was interesting that they had the bed made with pillows on one side instead of by the wall. We shared a forward facing balcony stateroom on the Sun with another couple and the couch made into a bed and it was set up in the conventional manner.

Yes I see that now... interesting, if anything I'd want to point forward but am most likely to put my head by the wall... easy enough to change around though! :cool:

We were in 10500 on the Jewel in Alaska 8/17. The bump out gives you extra space and the balcony is still huge. It was very windy/rainy on our trip so we did not get to use the balcony all that much, also the boat was rocking and rolling and you definitely felt it more in the very front of the ship. My two kiddos and I got seasick (never happened to me before and plenty of cruises under my belt) Hopefully you will get nicer weather! I have soured on the very front of the ship for future cruises though...

Good insight, thank you, yeah, it's Alaska, weather will be weather (doesn't it rain 300 days a year or something). This southbound one-way itinerary takes in a large chunk of the inside passage so that may help. I've done aft facing before and coped with the 'ride' but will defo have some pills on hand then... TY!

I am prone to seasickness ..... was the child the school bus had to pull over for on field trips for you know what. Had to have window rolled down if sitting in back seat of car. Got sick on an airplane :( Meclizine HCL 25mg (generic Bonine) saved me. I buy Rugby Travel Sickness version which is available at many pharmacies as well as Amazon for around $6.50 for 100 chewable tablets. One preventative tablet in the morning is all it takes and it doesn't interfere with my drinking enjoyment. We had a family suite on deck 12 on the Star and had finally convinced our best friends to cruise with us. They had refused in the past due to fear of being seasick. It turned out to be an extremely rough Pacific Coastal cruise (roughest seas we've ever experienced) but none of us got sick and they're now platinum cruisers with NCL.

I am prone to seasickness ..... was the child the school bus had to pull over for on field trips for you know what. Had to have window rolled down if sitting in back seat of car. Got sick on an airplane :( Meclizine HCL 25mg (generic Bonine) saved me. I buy Rugby Travel Sickness version which is available at many pharmacies as well as Amazon for around $6.50 for 100 chewable tablets. One preventative tablet in the morning is all it takes and it doesn't interfere with my drinking enjoyment. We had a family suite on deck 12 on the Star and had finally convinced our best friends to cruise with us. They had refused in the past due to fear of being seasick. It turned out to be an extremely rough Pacific Coastal cruise (roughest seas we've ever experienced) but none of us got sick and they're now platinum cruisers with NCL.

Good tip, thank you. Yes my roughest cruise ever was also Pacific Coast with a hurricane lurking about... rocked me to sleep but then... I'm a pilot ;p