Jewel in Alaska: Cabin and deck choice help?

NomadicPatrick

Hello,

I am on the trans Pacific cruise on the Jewel from Vancouver to Tokyo in September. I was originally assigned a starboard side, obstructed ocean view cabin on deck 8, but after canceling that reservation and booking a new one, NCL has assigned us a port side porthole cabin on deck 4. I did not have a choice to select the cabin on the new reservation.

I originally wanted to be on the starboard side because all the land will be on that side for the entire cruise. I am wondering what people think though-- if you have been on an Alaska cruise, is this a deal breaker? Obstructed view on a higher deck or an unobstructed view, lower deck on the port side. Would there be much to see either way?

Also, I read that the cabins on deck 8 can be flooded with lights from the lifeboats 24/7.

Of course a lower deck could prove to be the better choice for sleeping while crossing the Pacific?

It would make no difference to me which side of the ship I was on. Even when in Alaskan water's you're far enough off shore that you really can't see much in the way of wildlife anyway. Of course there are fantastic views at most every turn in Alaska, but you really need to either be on a balcony or on deck for the scope of the view. Looking out a small window wouldn't cut it for me.

Hello,

I am on the trans Pacific cruise on the Jewel from Vancouver to Tokyo in September. I was originally assigned a starboard side, obstructed ocean view cabin on deck 8, but after canceling that reservation and booking a new one, NCL has assigned us a port side porthole cabin on deck 4. I did not have a choice to select the cabin on the new reservation.

I originally wanted to be on the starboard side because all the land will be on that side for the entire cruise. I am wondering what people think though-- if you have been on an Alaska cruise, is this a deal breaker? Obstructed view on a higher deck or an unobstructed view, lower deck on the port side. Would there be much to see either way?

Also, I read that the cabins on deck 8 can be flooded with lights from the lifeboats 24/7.

Of course a lower deck could prove to be the better choice for sleeping while crossing the Pacific?

If you are cruising the Inside Passage in Alaska (Ports such as Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan) then for a lot of the cruise you will have land on both sides of the ship. Think of it like cruising through fjords, which is essentially what they are. There are stretches of more open water as well, but you're never really "out at sea" when you're doing the Inside Passage.

I think you'll find you want to be up on the upper, public decks quite a bit if your only option is an ocean view cabin. You can also spend time in the Spinnaker Lounge on deck 13 during the day, which gives you panoramic views but allows you to be indoors and out of the chilly weather. In port, of course, it won't matter as you'll likely be off the ship.

Your "obstructed" view on Deck 8 is likely to be a large obstruction like a lifeboat. But deck 8 is a lot closer to things you will want to do on the ship. Tough call to make.

Your "obstructed" view on Deck 8 is likely to be a large obstruction like a lifeboat.

It is. I found a cabin with a gap, but the view still has some ugliness of the lifeboat rigging.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I think we will keep this one, and try for an upgrade

There is NO WAY I would ever book a cabin on Deck 4. Most of Deck 4 is either the Medical Center or cabins for crew. Made that mistake once when I first started cruising and will NEVER do it again.

Sometimes Deck 4 is where the gangway is located for shore excursions-- very noisy when they set it up and take it down.