Alaska 2018 on the Zaandam

YankeePenny

We are cruising on the Zaandam for 10 days in ALaska in Sept 2018. I would really like to know YOUR THOUGHTS about the enrichment classes (ie:cooking) on board. They sound interesting . Have any of you taken any?

What is your not to be missed in Alaska? We will be Alaska first timers.

All thoughts welcome.

Also, how do yo like the Zaandam? Thank you.

The enrichment/cooking classes on Holland America are great. Since it is your first time in Alaska, be prepared to be looking at the wonders of nature. I almost never slept on our first time in Alaska. There will be less daylight in September, but still long days and LOTS to see. Hope you have a balcony.

We are cruising on the Zaandam for 10 days in ALaska in Sept 2018.

We will be Alaska first timers.

All thoughts welcome.

I'll let others speak about the cooking...

As a first timer.... I do recommend checking the climate charts.... in addition to less daylight.... September is discounted statistically for Alaskan storm chasers.

I sailed on the Zaandam last fall, from Santiago to Buenos Aires for two weeks, and it was a very comfortable ship. With the small amount of people on board (1300?), it makes for an opportunity to enjoy other passengers and not have a feel of a huge city like the larger ships. I agree with the other post, enjoy the scenery on the cruise! The enrichment classes and other activities are fun and well worth doing, but going to Alaska would mean to me, scenery first! Have a wonderful time!

What is your not to be missed in Alaska? We will be Alaska first timers.

Check out the Alaska destinations forum. There are a lot of many-time Alaska cruisers there that can advise on ports and things to see. For us Misty Fjords at Ketchikan is a must see. We try to do our whale watching from the ship but did take a tour at Juneau once and they generally know where the whales are. There are a lot of excursions that involve flying (floatplane or helicopter) but these will always be at the mercy of the weather so have a backup plan in case it is cancelled - which is how we ended up whale watching instead of helicoptering to a glacier. There are tourism web sites for all of the towns stopped at. Finally allow time pre or post cruise to explore your departure/arrival port - adding a couple days and cruise end is often worth it and if flying out it can be scheduled for a non-ship arrival day which may mean less airport crowds.

Check the Alaska boards for excursion ideas. But do realize that best for you isn't best for me... Tons of people ride the train in Skagway - no interest to me, ditto whale watch tours. (I did that in Massachusetts & feel like that was enough.)

As for the enrichments, I tried to do the computer class - it was standing room only & I was in the hallway.

After that I just stared out the windows. For AK cruises, you are able to see land for most of the trip. I never felt. "I'm tired of seeing the ocean so lets take a class."

Check the Alaska boards for excursion ideas. But do realize that best for you isn't best for me... Tons of people ride the train in Skagway - no interest to me, ditto whale watch tours. (I did that in Massachusetts & feel like that was enough.)

As for the enrichments, I tried to do the computer class - it was standing room only & I was in the hallway.

After that I just stared out the windows. For AK cruises, you are able to see land for most of the trip. I never felt. "I'm tired of seeing the ocean so lets take a class."

I'm with you with regard to the train in Skagway --- felt like I was on a Disneyland ride.

Question for you: do the enrichment classes cost? We will be on the NA in July and wanted to take a photography class.

• 1 year later...

Where is the Alaska board to check for excursions?

Where is the Alaska board to check for excursions?

Click boards at the top of the screen. Scroll down to Ports of Call. You will see Alaska. Many ideas and suggestions.

Another place to look at reviews of activities is on Trip Advisor for each port.

The Zaandam is sailing the same itinerary that I sailed on the Amsterdam in July. It is an excellent itinerary allowing one to visit very diverse ports. My second sailing on the Zaandam was her Christmas/New Year's cruise this past holiday and I enjoyed her even more than I did when I sailed her when she had just entered HAL service.

Tours that I can highly recommend for your consideration include the Bering Sea Fisherman's Tour as well as a Misty Fjords Flightseeing tour in Ketchikan. Also, the Taku Lodge/5 Glaciers Flightseeing tour in Juneau is worth the money and the experience. Icy Point Strait was a pleasant surprise for me. I did not expect much, but enjoyed the tour that I took (learned something of the tribal culture of the inhabitants) and the opportunity to visit the area. My visit was close to the start of the salmon season run and I saw my first salmon jumping in the water near where the ship was docked.

The ship's visit to Hubbard Glacier was on a beautiful day and the magnificent Glacier was actively calving.