Maasdam Stuck in Boston Harbor

Adoremus

Still at anchor at 13:28 Eastern. Captain still waiting for some sign offs from USCG before we can leave. I am sure once they boarded they found plenty of things to check on. Hopefully under way later this afternoon. Formal night is tonight and captain says Open Bar tonight. [emoji485][emoji481][emoji484][emoji483]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Captain came on at noon. They must have the repairs checked out by some society?? and we should sail this afternoon. We will be going straight to Halifax. The captain will inform us of the sail time when it is confirmed. Open bar in many venues tonight as well as a letter as to new itinerary and compensation. We just finished lunch in the Pinnacle Grill. Must nap now [emoji12]

They must have the repairs checked out by some society??

Yes, there are perhaps 2 dozen classification societies, Lloyds Register and Bureau Veritas being perhaps the largest. These are non-governmental agencies that review a ship's critical mechanical components and other features to insure they meet relevant rules and requirements for seaworthiness. Google maritime classification societies and you'll probably be able to learn more than you really wanted to.

Captain came on at noon. They must have the repairs checked out by some society?? and we should sail this afternoon. We will be going straight to Halifax. The captain will inform us of the sail time when it is confirmed. Open bar in many venues tonight as well as a letter as to new itinerary and compensation. We just finished lunch in the Pinnacle Grill. Must nap now [emoji12]

That would be the classification society, which is the insurance underwriter (think UL). Primary reason the USCG will stop a ship from leaving port is loss of redundancy of steering. Even loss of one propeller on the Maasdam would not really trigger a USCG stoppage, though the Master would be prudent to remain until repairs are completed. Loss of one rudder's operation, however, would trigger an almost guaranteed USCG inspection. Both the port state (USCG), which issues the clearance to sail through the port, and the class society, which issues the "fitness to proceed" obviously are required for this issue, which I think points directly to steering. The loss of some hotel power, could mean that a section panel of the electrical system went down, taking both some things like the toilet vacuum pumps and the steering gear.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're missing out on Bar Harbor. However, if you had to get stuck somewhere, Boston Harbor on the 4th of July with fireworks is not too shabby. People pay a pretty penny to get out on the water and get a meal on Independence Day. :)

However, if you had to get stuck somewhere, Boston Harbor on the 4th of July with fireworks is not too shabby.

But were they able to see the fireworks from the anchorage?

I asked that a while back, but no one on board has answered. :(

It sounds that way. See post #11, above:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47028358&postcount=11

Also, there's a post with the Boston skyline in it, so I would definitely think that they did.

Edited by POA1

Post #11 was a half hour before the Boston fireworks started. They couldn't have known at that point whether or not they were visible from where they were.

Some of the fireworks were quite high, while others went off lower down.

My parents said yes they saw lots of fireworks shows from their balcony.

Still at anchor at 215p East Coast time. Sounds like they are awaiting Lloyds and USCG to clear ship to sail. Was apparently a major electrical panel related issue and they apparently were able to divert power to make hotel functions work and with the repairs done, or nearly done, should have full propulsion restored which is likely the reason Lloyds and USCG are checking it over.

I am pretty sure are watch these things much more closely after the carnival poop cruise. May be one of the reasons they were able to divert power fairly easily and get the hotel functions mostly if not totally back on line fairly quickly.

My parents said yes they saw lots of fireworks shows from their balcony.

Still at anchor at 215p East Coast time. Sounds like they are awaiting Lloyds and USCG to clear ship to sail. Was apparently a major electrical panel related issue and they apparently were able to divert power to make hotel functions work and with the repairs done, or nearly done, should have full propulsion restored which is likely the reason Lloyds and USCG are checking it over.

I am pretty sure are watch these things much more closely after the carnival poop cruise. May be one of the reasons they were able to divert power fairly easily and get the hotel functions mostly if not totally back on line fairly quickly.

I don't think the Triumph has anything to do with this. All cruise ships, including the Triumph, have split bus capability, which allows at least half of the generators and half of the propulsion to be supplied regardless of damage to one half of the bus. A split bus plant will also have the "feeder" panels that supply power to various areas (galley, engine room aft, engine room forward, all cabins and public areas in each fire zone, etc.) to have the ability to be fed from each half of the main bus. Sometimes the transfer is not automatic, so there can be a temporary loss of power to limited areas. As I say, these types of power arrangements have been on nearly every cruise ship for years, and even the Triumph had this set up, but the fire damaged cabling to both halves of the main switchboard.

I don't think the Triumph has anything to do with this. All cruise ships, including the Triumph, have split bus capability, which allows at least half of the generators and half of the propulsion to be supplied regardless of damage to one half of the bus. A split bus plant will also have the "feeder" panels that supply power to various areas (galley, engine room aft, engine room forward, all cabins and public areas in each fire zone, etc.) to have the ability to be fed from each half of the main bus. Sometimes the transfer is not automatic, so there can be a temporary loss of power to limited areas. As I say, these types of power arrangements have been on nearly every cruise ship for years, and even the Triumph had this set up, but the fire damaged cabling to both halves of the main switchboard.

There were some cabling changes after the poop cruise. I've been fortunate to get into the actual engine room on a cruise in the past with the chief engineer. Think the emergency power was also changed after that cruise to ensure it could come online and be more useful if ever really needed in the future.

Regardless sounds like whatever it happened to be is rectified and just needs approval. Hopefully its a permanent fix not a band aid, which I doubt Lloyds or USCG would approve.

In the end missing one port is not end of world, happens due to weather in Caribbean at times.

I want to thank everyone for the updates, especially Rancher Dave and chengkp75 for more technical updates. Maasdam is my favorite ship, I love her more than I do most humans. My life was changed forever on board Maasdam nearly two years ago, a part of my soul will forever be there with her. So, hearing she has a major problem really hurt me.

Also, because of my experience on Maasdam, I am also now a Deck Cadet preparing to start my Maritime schooling next month, so this fascinated me on a professional level. With that being said, I hope they have gotten everything all fixed up and my girl will be back to frolicking in the waves soon. I am glad to hear that Captain (I know Captain Smit was due off two weeks ago, which would put Captain Jutten in command, I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) and Crew have been helpful and that everyone has remained happy and comfortable and confident in the work being done.

On our way home from the north shore about a half an hour ago we saw her sailing out of Boston Harbor from high atop the Tobin Bridge. Bon Voyage to all on the Maasdam and enjoy the beautiful weather today!

Huh. We are still here, haven't moved. Apparently Lloyds is here inspecting. Hopefully not long now. I will let you know.

Laurie

Huh. We are still here, haven't moved. Apparently Lloyds is here inspecting. Hopefully not long now. I will let you know.

Laurie

He probably just saw that Maasdam was not at the pier and figured she was on her way out, did not realize Maasdam has been in that same spot for what 20 hours now? Hopefully you will be moving soon. :) I will be glad to know My Girl is 'feeling better' and back underway. THEN you can have a bon voyage the rest of the trip.