What's the best way to get to Rome from port for the day?

Miri75

Rome in Limo will pick you up at the port take you round all the sights and return you in good time

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Totally agreed. Rome in Limo, as far as we are concerned, is the best way to get to/from Rome and see the city. We recommended them to some friends of ours and both couples said it was the best trip and tour they have ever had.

Wow, I have never been treated this way on Cruise Critic before.

In my own defense, I want to add a few things:

1) I had been researching the ports of call for nearly a year. I take full responsibility for failing to review the train schedules thoroughly before leaving home.

2) I thought we would have enough time to make the journey by train.

3) The concierge and several fellow cruisers currently on board shared information with us the night before our day in Rome. One used the words "the schedules don't stay the same, there can be some variance" another said "if there is an issue with a train, you are out of luck". Again, I was not trying to mislead anyone or make things up. I became very concerned that I had used poor judgement in deciding we would do it ourselves.

4) I was not trying to insult, belittle or put down the train system in Italy. I am from a very large city where we sometimes have mud fall on the heavily used train tracks - which can leave lots of commuters and others stuck on trains. I don't live in a third world country either.

5) I was very sincerely trying to save someone else from the panic I experienced. If they are looking at a current train schedule that gives them very limited time on one end or the other, there are other options that can be utilized on short notice.

6) Next time, if we have some extra time, we'll try the train.

Thank you for sharing your experience.. we will be on the Jewel of the Seas next year starting in Rome Area. Your advice is very very helpful thank you ....enjoy the rest if your trip and have fun.

It's been a while since i posted on Cruise Critic

During our research prior to our last stop in Civitavecchia, someone had made available a video about getting from the cruise ship to the train station and acquiring a ticket for Rome or Pisa. However I can't find it any more. I'm trying to help a friend who is relatively new to cruising to get to Rome for a day. Can anyone direct me here?

Also, I am unfamiliar with a 12Euro BIRG ticket. Can someone clarify for me and tell me how to get one, preferably in advance of departure?

Thanks

Conan the Librarian

It's been a while since i posted on Cruise Critic

During our research prior to our last stop in Civitavecchia, someone had made available a video about getting from the cruise ship to the train station and acquiring a ticket for Rome or Pisa. However I can't find it any more. I'm trying to help a friend who is relatively new to cruising to get to Rome for a day. Can anyone direct me here?

Also, I am unfamiliar with a 12Euro BIRG ticket. Can someone clarify for me and tell me how to get one, preferably in advance of departure?

Thanks

Conan the Librarian

There was someone who used to have a blog site to which he posted various videos on negotiating the trains and buses in and around Rome. I believe this site isn't available any longer -- at least the couple of links I had bookmarked don't work now. You might just try some searching on YouTube to see if you can find anything.

The 12 euro BIRG (Biglietto Integrato Regionale Giornaliero) covers your round trip transportation to and from Rome on the regionale trains -- the ones that leave regularly throughout the day; no assigned seating. It's not really worth trying to purchase them in advance. Just ask for the "BIRG" ticket; they are very familiar with tourists. (NOTE: you cannot purchase them from the automated machines. If the ticket window has a line, you can also buy from the cafe, newsstand, or adjacent travel agency.

There was someone who used to have a blog site to which he posted various videos on negotiating the trains and buses in and around Rome. I believe this site isn't available any longer -- at least the couple of links I had bookmarked don't work now. You might just try some searching on YouTube to see if you can find anything.

The 12 euro BIRG (Biglietto Integrato Regionale Giornaliero) covers your round trip transportation to and from Rome on the regionale trains -- the ones that leave regularly throughout the day; no assigned seating. It's not really worth trying to purchase them in advance. Just ask for the "BIRG" ticket; they are very familiar with tourists. (NOTE: you cannot purchase them from the automated machines. If the ticket window has a line, you can also buy from the cafe, newsstand, or adjacent travel agency.

The BIRG ticket also gets you onto public transportation within Rome, correct?

The BIRG ticket also gets you onto public transportation within Rome, correct?

Absolutely correct -- buses and metro in Rome are also included with the BIRG.

Forgot to mention that you must validate the ticket before boarding the train at Civi. This is done by sticking the ticket into one of several validation machines -- they look like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1rzVw9d5VY7crDBg5NgHE0pXNC1GSQSVsA0VuVXi6SnO27eIMKE9XwR7xk-40BlZu0fkrgHLToEM1K7TNgmXdZkx-FqyigJF4XwyiYnxrakeblfWv9tSw4HCOQvEnJcUPL9pz3I