Lee Mies or Dora or ...?

mafig

A few years ago everyone was raving about Lee Miles (Mr. Emerald). Now I come to this site because we have a cruise booked that is going to Cartegena and I see that Dora seems popular and Claudia also.

Who do most of you recommend?

And, also, do you pay in advance?

• 7 months later...

We just got back from our April 2018 cruise of the Panama Canal. We loved our small group tour guided by Dora herself. There was only 6 in our group and the per person price was $75 for 4 hours. Dora had a driver and was 100% devoted to our education and enjoyment. We got to Las Popas monastery before anyone else. The tour was customized at our request, including walking to the top of the fort. It was very hot but I took cooling scarfs which helped a lot. The walk is steep and would not be for everyone, but Dora was a real trooper taking us there. We visited the Old Town and she gave us information along the way. At our request we had stops at the Hard Rock Cafe, Coffee And, and Mr. Emerald. I will definitely use Dora again if we visit Cartagena.

I just returned from a cruise and also booked a tour through Dora last week. Mercedes was our guide for the day, but Dora did check in with our group several times during the day. We paid after the tour in USD.

I highly recommend Dora her email is dora@cartagenatour.com She was quick to respond to any of my questions before I booked and provided a very good overview of what to expect including the price and when you pay.

Our tour of Cartagena was really amazing. I think you will be very happy if you take a tour with her.

Justin

• 3 weeks later...

I am also thinking to book with Dora as well, just havent confirmed yet. I wonder if 4 hours is enough time to have a tour and browse around old town. We like to walk around and not be rushed, yet I know you can see more with the tour. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
A few years ago everyone was raving about Lee Miles (Mr. Emerald). Now I come to this site because we have a cruise booked that is going to Cartegena and I see that Dora seems popular and Claudia also.

Who do most of you recommend?

And, also, do you pay in advance?

Hi,

This may be too late, as perhaps you've already cruised?

But I've used Lee Miles twice, each time I've visited Cartagena and been very happy. Interestingly, the first time we too had Mercedes as our tour guide... and it was great. We talked Mercedes into stopping / taking us to a local grocery store where we all bought bag of coffee (beans) for pennies of our expectations. Under $10 US, I walked out with two bags (maybe 2 or 4lb each)… and a few cold Colombian beers to chug as our bus ventured back to the ship.

As a few FYI's:

Lee Miles (Mr. Emerald) only arranges the tours. But he is an American now living in Colombia. He doesn't personally conduct them.

Most of his arranged tours, use his shop as a 'pit stop' out of the heat. Accomplishes two things: Restroom (cold pop or water) and yes an opportunity to shop for some of the best Emeralds you'll ever see. My wife has bought something each time, and comparatively to something in the States, would be double. Quality & Price is awesome.

So, no I have zero afflation with Lee Miles, other than he has been VERY helpful with past tours and if you're looking for a quality Emerald while there, this is the place.

Kirk Crusin till I'm dead

Oh, we are going again this fall and I've already got everything arranged with Lee for another tour & visit.