Windjammer closes early?

babs135

Well if someone who needs this would stock up before the WJ is closed. You can't think RCCL would keep the whole WJ open for the few who needs this. It's called personal responsibility. If you need it , figure out a way to be prepared.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Why so angry a reply if you yourself suffer from diabeties?

I've sailed with 2 diabetics in the same cabin and everyone's severity of the disease is different. One of my cabin mates actually started to crash in the MDR whille waiting for our appetizers to show up. Medical came and took her out to the doctor's office. She was kept there over 4 hours until she was stablized. We learned later she did not eat enough prior to taking insulin to balance her levels since we arrived back later from a ship's shore excursion than expected and buffet was already closed down. The hot dog she managed to get wasn' t quite enough. It was a very scary situation and really put a damper on the whole sailing.

MARAPRINCE

Why so angry a reply if you yourself suffer from diabeties?

I've sailed with 2 diabetics in the same cabin and everyone's severity of the disease is different. One of my cabin mates actually started to crash in the MDR whille waiting for our appetizers to show up. Medical came and took her out to the doctor's office. She was kept there over 4 hours until she was stablized. We learned later she did not eat enough prior to taking insulin to balance her levels since we arrived back later from a ship's shore excursion than expected and buffet was already closed down. The hot dog she managed to get wasn' t quite enough. It was a very scary situation and really put a damper on the whole sailing.

MARAPRINCE

That's a scary situation. Glad she's ok. Why do act as if Im angry. Just pointing out most who traveling with this take the right precautions. Bring a small food bar if needed or even a small test kit. Mine is not larger than a pack of cigarettes. Keep it in my camera bag. So if the the WJ was open as opposed to MDR it would if gone better. Tell you what ,let's just agree to have the WJ stay open longer. You have convinced me. Enjoy the holiday weekend and hope to see you on my next Anthem cruise. Best ship I have crusied on.......

On Harmony my midnight snack was a curry chicken wrap and mini brownie from Cafe Promenade. We can't have everything and a decent cruise price

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a good point. Want extras they'll cost one way or another. Have to remember cruising in 2017 is cheaper then 1980's not even taking inflation into account. A 7 nite cruise in 1988 on Royal's Sovereign was $3400 total for 2 of us. And that was just for a little port hole window in a tiny cabin on deck 2. About 7 weeks of my ARMY pay then...

That's a good point. Want extras they'll cost one way or another. Have to remember cruising in 2017 is cheaper then 1980's not even taking inflation into account. A 7 nite cruise in 1988 on Royal's Sovereign was $3400 total for 2 of us. And that was just for a little port hole window in a tiny cabin on deck 2. About 7 weeks of my ARMY pay then...

And if the supply was the same in 2017 as it was in 1980 what do you think the pricing would be? Your argument is thrown around frequently around here and it gets old. The cruise lines are all showing a healthy profit margin.

Edited by Ocean Boy

That's a scary situation. Glad she's ok. Why do act as if Im angry. Just pointing out most who traveling with this take the right precautions. Bring a small food bar if needed or even a small test kit. Mine is not larger than a pack of cigarettes. Keep it in my camera bag. So if the the WJ was open as opposed to MDR it would if gone better. Tell you what ,let's just agree to have the WJ stay open longer. You have convinced me. Enjoy the holiday weekend and hope to see you on my next Anthem cruise. Best ship I have crusied on.......

Though tone is hard to read on a massage board that is how your post came across, either annoyed or condescending that a diabetic was not better able to prepare and take care of him/her self.

Just my opinions - I am used to eating late, and quite often miss the closing time on WJ, because of activities onboard. Problem is - I need to take pills with food, but have food allergies. My roughest allergy is lactose and sugar - and there is absolutely nothing in Cafe Promenade (and forget about the pizzaria) that has no cheese. Especially on Anthem. I've done room service - but that means going to my cabin earlier than I want and waiting an hour - effectively preventing me from enjoying the ship, and calling it a night. I have started going onboard with crackers, just so I can take my medication without calling it a night - and ordering dinner via room service late at night. I would love if WJ had a limited late night buffet.

... there is absolutely nothing in Cafe Promenade (and forget about the pizzaria) that has no cheese. ...

Is it not possible to remove the slice of cheese on a sandwich from Cafe Promenade?

Though tone is hard to read on a massage board that is how your post came across, either annoyed or condescending that a diabetic was not better able to prepare and take care of him/her self.

No, I feel for her. Type 2 myself. But it's getting crazy that the reason for this medical emergency was a closed WJ.

Hi- I tried that - but a lot of the sandwiches actually have a cheese spread on the bread - it wasn't too appetizing without the bread.

Some servers also won't even give you a sandwich if you mention you are lactose intolerant - as they say there can still be traces of cheese. Anything without cheese - by nighttime is just totally unappetizing - the only place you can find food late on Anthem without cheese is either the hot dog stand or Michaels Pub for a few hours - but the pub is usually packed, with no tables - which leaves room service (which is actually from Michaels Pub). So crackers it is !

True. Other lines have their buffet open late into the evening but for some reason RCCL doesn't. If you want to see exact hours for each ship do a search for Patters for the ship you are interested in.

Why search.for Patters.

Cruise Compass would be Royal...Patters would be Princess....

Sent from the cat's Galaxy S8

I'm wondering what is the cut off for going into the windjammer? If it closes at 9, can you go in at 8:30 or 8:45 and receive full service? We have a couple of stops on our cruise that extend into the evening so heading to the Windjammer for dinner will be an option.

Not sure what time they closed the door, but the one time we were there late on Anthem, a head waiter visited each table near closing time to ask if we were enjoying the meal and to advise that if we wished to make any additional selections, to do so promptly, as they were preparing to close the lines. We did see a few people wanting to come in as we were leaving. They were turned away, of course, as it was well past closing by then.

And if the supply was the same in 2017 as it was in 1980 what do you think the pricing would be? Your argument is thrown around frequently around here and it gets old. The cruise lines are all showing a healthy profit margin.

Why is the argument getting old? Because it´s true? You are right cruise lines are showing healthy profit margins as they should. It´s what they are in the business for. As long as they can increase their profit margins by maintaining their price and customer number while at the same time cutting cost and service they are absolutely doing the right thing. Their business goal is to keep stockholders happy. Keeping customers happy is only a bi-product as it is needed to a certain extend to have customers paying for their product.

If they start losing customers about some action then it´s time for them to re-think, as long as people still pay they are on track and right fully so.

While I don´t mind WJ closure earlier in the evening I accept others think differently, but only a vote with their wallet will make a change if enough people do it as well.

As for WJ opening times, I rather wished they´d keep it open throughout the day and not keep closing it for changeovers from breakfast to lunch to afternoon to dinner. But it´s just my opinion and nope it´s not that big of a deal for me to complain about and / or have to vote with my wallet.

Why is the argument getting old? Because it´s true? You are right cruise lines are showing healthy profit margins as they should. It´s what they are in the business for. As long as they can increase their profit margins by maintaining their price and customer number while at the same time cutting cost and service they are absolutely doing the right thing. Their business goal is to keep stockholders happy. Keeping customers happy is only a bi-product as it is needed to a certain extend to have customers paying for their product.

If they start losing customers about some action then it´s time for them to re-think, as long as people still pay they are on track and right fully so.

While I don´t mind WJ closure earlier in the evening I accept others think differently, but only a vote with their wallet will make a change if enough people do it as well.

As for WJ opening times, I rather wished they´d keep it open throughout the day and not keep closing it for changeovers from breakfast to lunch to afternoon to dinner. But it´s just my opinion and nope it´s not that big of a deal for me to complain about and / or have to vote with my wallet.

It is getting old because the supply and demand of the 1980's has little to do with supply and demand of 2017 which is what pricing is all about. I paid more for my first high def. TV than I paid for my most recent purchase of a much higher def. TV. When I was a kid I had to walk 5 minutes to the bus stop to go to school. Now everyone gets door to door service. Who cares that we walked back then? It is an ancient fact that is of little consequence now.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I do wish the WJ would stay open later in the evening, but all cruise lines do things differently so I accept the fact that if I cruise on RCI, then it will close early. Having a late night option is not a deal breaker for me, but if it was, I would simply cruise on another line.

I do wish the WJ would stay open later in the evening, but all cruise lines do things differently so I accept the fact that if I cruise on RCI, then it will close early. Having a late night option is not a deal breaker for me, but if it was, I would simply cruise on another line.

I agree, it is not a deal breaker. But some around here make it sound like if you voice your wishes for change that somehow you are either an ingrate, a whiner, environmentally insensitive, or have no knowledge of how companies operate. Corporations have plenty of highly paid people looking out for their best interest. It is a customer's job to look out for his/her interests. That is what keeps the system in check.

After most of my cruises on NCL, I was pretty surprised to see the buffet closing at 8:45 on my upcoming (Irma permitting) Oasis sailing. NCL doesn't keep the WHOLE buffet going late, they switch into "snack" mode between meals and after dinner hours. So I could make myself a cheese and cracker plate after a show, or grab a late dessert, for example. NCL also has O'Sheehan's, late-night cafe, included. If availability and complimentary status are important to you with your cruise food, seems NCL wins by a mile.

After most of my cruises on NCL, I was pretty surprised to see the buffet closing at 8:45 on my upcoming (Irma permitting) Oasis sailing. NCL doesn't keep the WHOLE buffet going late, they switch into "snack" mode between meals and after dinner hours. So I could make myself a cheese and cracker plate after a show, or grab a late dessert, for example. NCL also has O'Sheehan's, late-night cafe, included. If availability and complimentary status are important to you with your cruise food, seems NCL wins by a mile.

I personally like the International Cafe on Princess much better. I was recently on Celebrity Equinox - even they had the buffet open after 11pm for a late night snack.

I personally like the International Cafe on Princess much better. I was recently on Celebrity Equinox - even they had the buffet open after 11pm for a late night snack.

I've only been on princess once, and I was recovering from probable food poisoning (on a different cruise) and didn't have a lot of appetite. I really liked the Royal Princess buffet, but didn't have a chance to try many other options, and don't know how late their buffet runs. I was mostly talking NCL vs RCL, in any case.

You could always package up your late night snacks earlier in the day to stash in your refrigerator.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's what I do, at minimum always store few cookies and milk in my room for a late nite snak. Bring Ziplock baggies, store some food...

Wow, 5 pages long and still going!

I wonder if the bosses of RCI (and I suppose other lines as well) ever take cruises on a rival's line and see what works and what doesn't? I am getting the impression here that quite a number of people would appreciate somewhere to get a late night snack (say between 11 pm and 1 am if forced to put a time on it). Not expecting anything fancy but based on Cunard (most sailed) there is usually something along the lines of hot dogs, curry, cold meats, bread, desserts, cakes and biscuits. And as I've said before, we've been up to the buffet after a late show and it's always been very busy.

I get that not everybody likes to eat late, but I am a bit surprised at all the assumptions and judging. Different people have different preferences

Indeed. A late-night buffet option isn't a novel idea, and in fact was something I associated with cruising before I cruised.

The food waste argument is persuasive, but I'm sure there are ways around this. After 9pm, offer foods that are stable for lengthy periods of time (e.g. cold cuts) and hot foods that turn over quickly (i.e. don't last long: pizza, hot dogs, etc.). It also allows access to room temp and cold items like fruit, breads, yogurts, jellos, desserts, etc.

It's hardly a deal-breaker for us in terms of picking RCI, although we are concerned with the increased penny-pinching the line seems to be going through (noticeable even to us who only took our first cruise in 2015). The buffet may not be a recent change, but charging for room service is discouraging: it is something we really enjoyed, and now having to pay is irritating. They may do well to re-think some of their free food service offerings, including a light buffet after 9pm and improved pizza, to name two ideas!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, 5 pages long and still going!

I wonder if the bosses of RCI (and I suppose other lines as well) ever take cruises on a rival's line and see what works and what doesn't? I am getting the impression here that quite a number of people would appreciate somewhere to get a late night snack (say between 11 pm and 1 am if forced to put a time on it). Not expecting anything fancy but based on Cunard (most sailed) there is usually something along the lines of hot dogs, curry, cold meats, bread, desserts, cakes and biscuits. And as I've said before, we've been up to the buffet after a late show and it's always been very busy.

I don´t know how frequently they do, but I know that cruiseline bosses have been seen on other lines. I´m also quite sure all of them know pretty much about the offers of their competitors. They´d be long out of business if they didn´t.