Jane McDonald's icelandic Cruise

k8ti

We were looking to book the Fire and Ice cruise next year but I found the program a little disappointing. I realise that route was not the same but the scenery looked similar at each stop she made and it also looked freezing all the time. She gave no indication of the time of year that the filming took place.

We are doing this in July and looking forward to it. Jane only touched on places but I hope it will be amazing. I guess it was filmed September as they had some nice bright days but they had dark nights and saw the northern lights. When we go it should be daylight almost all the time, this will feel strange. I'll let you know more when we get back.

Doing Fire & Ice in July but only 3 days of the cruise are Iceland (we're really looking forward to it) - most of the cruise is the Norwegian Fjords. We are also looking forward to Sheltand as it's somewhere we would never normally go

Doing Fire & Ice in July but only 3 days of the cruise are Iceland (we're really looking forward to it) - most of the cruise is the Norwegian Fjords. We are also looking forward to Sheltand as it's somewhere we would never normally go

We did Fire & Ice on Spirit in Aug 2014 and even though Stornaway was a sea day as it was too rough for the tenders, and Isafjord was a sea day as the wind was too dangerous for us to enter the port we had a great time, and the Norwegian fjords were so good we booked Norway Winter on Fred to really explore them and will be going back up there on Discovery in June this year. Have a great time

Gill

When you come back, can you let us know what it was like. Very tempted to do a similar cruise. It would be a little bit different from the normal ones. Many thanks

We loved Iceland the scenery is magnificent even though a lot of it is barren and volcanic. The weather can be changeable just like it is here, always be prepared and you won't go far wrong. The Fjords are one of our favourites and can be stunning, we usually go June to July and have had some great warm sunny weather, with odd damp days especially if visiting Bergen.

• 2 weeks later...

Having not long got back from a long weekend in Iceland , I found the programme confusing as to what time of year she was supposed to be there ( to me it seemed as tho it was a tourist board info commercial showing bits of iceland at different times of year )

I would suggest that you dont cruise around iceland but go and stay there in the summer and drive round ....you wont see the lights because its too light obviously . Or stay in Winter in Rekyavik , do a few of the tours ( and still probably not see the lights lol ) Iceland is lovely

The programme was filmed in September as that is when the sheep are brought down from the mountains to over-winter nearer the farms.

But one clip showed blue skies and people seemed to be in the water and she was talking about long days . She saw the lights too , which is I admit sometimes possible in September