Ginger for Seasickness

Celest1022

I use ginger capsules from Walmart. I start the day before our cruise. I take one in the morning, one in the evening. If seas are rough, I will also take one at noon.

I checked with my Dr. before and he ok'd this for me. Should be fine, but you might want to check with your Dr. first.

The first cruise I took them, I stopped half way into the cruise. Thought I didn't need them as the seas were calm. I got seasick. Won't make that mistake again.

Bought ginger capsules at Wal Mart for people in our party to use. I did not need them but on one excursion it was going to be rough and about 4 people used them since they are prone to sea sickness. They were even surprised at how well they worked.:)

I've read that ginger is very good for seasickness. We bought ginger chips from Trader Joes but also heard there are ginger capsules. I would like to be prepared just in case. What would you recommend? :D

I would have said that ginger is very good against seasickness not for it! (LOL

Another vote for the ginger capsules. You'll find them in the vitamin section.

One of my favorite ways to take them is to make a tea -- just break open the capsule & sprinkle out the contents into a mug, add hot water & sweetener. Yummy and very soothing.

Mary Ellen

I have always used ginger for nausea...I find that Ginger Altoids work verey well (they are very strong, so if you don't like ginger you won't like these). I also find that Japanese pickeled ginger (gari) works even better, its real ginger. You can get this in a jar in the ethnic food section.

My husband has used the wrist bands (usually for sale in the gift shop on the ship) and they really healped him the first day out of LA on the way to Hawaii when the seas were high.

I have never used ginger capsules, but they sound interesting too.

have fun on your cruise...most days its smooth sailing

I've been looking for the ginger capsules and can't seem to find them. I'm going to try our Walmart tomorrow. Never needed them but the seas where we are going this week are rough (New England) so rather be prepared.

How many do you take at one time and how often? Does it only come in 500mg.? Has anyone ever had a reaction to them?

He plans to wait to see if he does need them instead of taking them prior to getting on the cruise. Do they work once you start to feel seasick or only if taken prior?

Thanks in advance.

I've been looking for the ginger capsules and can't seem to find them. I'm going to try our Walmart tomorrow. Never needed them but the seas where we are going this week are rough (New England) so rather be prepared.

How many do you take at one time and how often? Does it only come in 500mg.? Has anyone ever had a reaction to them?

He plans to wait to see if he does need them instead of taking them prior to getting on the cruise. Do they work once you start to feel seasick or only if taken prior?

Thanks in advance.

Every health food store has them (try GNC) or even your local supermarket. Anyone who sells vitamins.

Take them prior to embarkation. Once you're sick it's too late.

Ginger in pretty much any form is good for motion-related nausea. Ginger snap cookies and candied ginger (check the spice aisle) got me through ground reference maneuvers when I was doing my flight training. :D

There's also a product called "Ginger Trips" that you might want to look into. They're chewable tablets with ginger and vitamin B6.

JJ

Every health food store has them (try GNC) or even your local supermarket. Anyone who sells vitamins.

I've already been to three local grocery stores that sell vitamins and they don't carry them and neither did the GNC in our local mall. I looked through all the vitamins, am my looking in the wrong area? What does the container look like and what brand?

If you are on medications, ask your doctor about any remedy you want to try. That said, different things work for different people. Some medications make me drowsy including Draminine so I tried ginger on my last cruise which is a typically rough one. Candied ginger (my grocery store actually carries two different brands) and ginger flavored Altoids (stores like Cost Plus carry this...Target used to carry it and Walmart started to, but I'm not sure if they still do).

When my daughter was having problems with an allergy-caused cough, a doctor recommended we take ginger root and brew a tea from it.

You may want to try Ginger Chews or Gin Gins from Ginger People. We have used them for years and they have proven to be effective and easy to use. They are available in many grocery stores or on line at Gingerpeople.com.

Yes, Ginger does work well for motion sickness. However if you take blood thinner medicine do NOT take ginger in any form. It will conteract with the blood thinnner.

Good point - always check when taking something new with blood thinners. If you are on aspirin therapy and tend to bruise easily, it may affect that also, making your blood thinner. Just a heads up.

I've already been to three local grocery stores that sell vitamins and they don't carry them and neither did the GNC in our local mall. I looked through all the vitamins, am my looking in the wrong area? What does the container look like and what brand?

How about Walgreens or CVS? Nature's Bounty is one brand, Nature's Way.....lots of different brands. Our grocery stores have it; don't know why yours don't. Where are you?

Has anyone ever used the powder in the capsule with hot water to make a tea to drink? Would that have the same effect? Would it taste bitter or strong?

See my earlier post. I do this all the time. It's delicious. I add a little bit of sweetener.

Mary Ellen

Pia,

Finally found them at one of the Walmart's near me. The other two did not have them nor the drug stores. Glad I finally found them just in case the seas are rough like they were last week.

Mary Ellen,

Didn't see that part of your first post about the tea. Glad to know it's as effective this way. Hopefully the capsules won't be needed but it's better safe than sorry. Also took some Bonine just as a backup.

Archived