Smoking ?

phillipahain

Was about to book Seabourn for its 2012 Black Sea cruise however notice from the brochure that it would seem smoking is allowed in cabins and on balconies

Is this true because i may have to rethink as seriously allergic to smoke even drifting off next door balconies etc

On the Sojourn, the only place where smoke seems to be a little noticeable is on Deck 5 between the lobby and the suites, just before the offices and conference rooms. I suspect that one of the staff smokes every now and then and the smoke drifts out to the hall. We did complain about it and it improved somewhat.

Never noticed any smoke on the balconies or in the suites, or just about anywhere else.

I am afraid it depends on your fellow passengers. If you are unlucky enough to have a neighbour who smokes, it is likely that you will notice it on your balcony. Certainly it is noticeable as you walk along the corridors past suites where there is a smoker.

To Seabourn's credit they do seem to do a good job cleaning through after a smoker. No residual odour is left after cleaning.

Smoking is also permitted on the starboard side of the Observation Lounge and tables there have ash trays and matches provided.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

looks like i will have to rethink this then

Shame that Regent Black Sea cruise is in July when it can be darn hot in Black Sea

Plus with Princess banning smoking in cabins and balconies iguess the pressure will be on the few lines that still permit it

What a shame i was looking fwd to Seabourn service

I am sorry if I am turning you off Seabourn. Except for passing suites where cleaning was taking place with the door open, we were not bothered even though we dislike intensely the smell. But the possibility is there, I am afraid.

I know that some of you feel this has been reviewed endlessly, and I understand your tired of hearing about it, but it does seem that many of the cruise lines are updating their existing smoking policies. Some of us have health concerns and smoke can be very debilitating. Many would love to sail on Seabourn but their current policies are a deal breaker. I know whenever I see these threads I am happy, It might mean they have finally updated their policies and we can cruise in comfort (or at least enjoy our balcony). If nothing else, its a reminder that many are concerned about their health and maybe someone will get the hint and institute stricter policies.

On our last SB cruise we met a lovely couple from Italy.The problem was she smoked non stop.We were on the Sprit and she at the the outside bar from morning until night smoking.It was a definitly turn off.We declined having dinner with them because she reaked off smoke.They were on board for 4 weeks so no one said anything to them.She also was not doing anything wrong by smoking outside.It still was a problem if you were at the bar trying to get or sit there for a drink.SB needs to address this issue so the majority of passengers are comfortable.

We're considering our first cruise on Seabourn but second-hand smoke will definitely make us take a second look, too (we're both ex-smokers for 15+ yrs now and still to this day can't stand the smell).

I know this doesn't specifically address cabins or balconies but I just pulled this from the Seabourn site. I'm glad they don't allow cigars and pipes in cabins or on balconies but guess since it does't spell it out re: cigarettes being prohibited, it means it's ok. :( It just amazes me that it's still allowed in this day and age. If nothing else, why can't they keep the port side cabins and balconies smoke-free (since it looks like starboard is already the "smoking" side in public areas)? :confused:

What is the smoking policy onboard?

For the comfort of all guests, most public areas on board are smoke-free. Cigarette smoking is permitted in the following areas:

•Observation Bar/Lounge – On the starboard side (except during coffee and tea service hours)

•Sky Bar – At the bar and starboard side deck area ( except during Sky Grill food service on Seabourn Pride, Spirit & Legend)

•Seabourn Square Terrace – on the starboard side deck area

Guests are asked to refrain from smoking pipes and cigars anywhere inside the ship, including in guest suites, on verandas and balconies. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted only on open decks (Seabourn Pride, Spirit & Legend) and only on the starboard side deck area of Seabourn Square Terrace on Seabourn Odyssey, Sojourn & Quest.

If you have any doubts about any area, please consult your onboard staff.

Here is the response I got when I sent an email to Seabourn regarding the cigarette smoking policy in the stateroom and balcony.

Thank you for your inquiry. At the moment, our policy allows smoking in the staterooms, the balcony and select designated smoking areas on the starboard side of selected decks. Please let us know if you have further questions or require any further assistance.

Warm Regards,

Jennifer Klouse

Seabourn Reservations

www.seabourn.com

800-929-9595

It's astounding to me that Seabourn continues to permit smoking in the Observation Bar, an interior area, with the consequence that passengers and staff are exposed to selfish smokers' carcinogens. When was the last time a medical doctor told you that second hand smoke was good for you? That would have been about 60 years ago. Seabourn should- and does - know better than to ignore the matter.

Do you all think Seabourn read these posts? I imiagine they must, but fear that unless they are convinced they will sell more suites by banning smoking they will not do so.

Seabourn being the smallest and most-high end product of Carnival Corp. went from 600 pax capacity to almost 2,000 in three years. In order to book new passengers, they have to attract a client base able to afford the fares and do so on a repeat basis. Since the new and future money is in Asia, Middle East and parts of South America, where smoking is still widely common and accepted, imo, this potential new affluent consuming revenue base outweighs the possibility of a total smoking ban.

Seabourn being the smallest and most-high end product of Carnival Corp. went from 600 pax capacity to almost 2,000 in three years. In order to book new passengers, they have to attract a client base able to afford the fares and do so on a repeat basis. Since the new and future money is in Asia, Middle East and parts of South America, where smoking is still widely common and accepted, imo, this potential new affluent consuming revenue base outweighs the possibility of a total smoking ban.

What worries me the most is that Seabourn risks becoming, with its more lenient policies, the preferred luxury line of the smoker.

Neophytus,

Much as I admire your spirit, as represented by your views on the business model Seabourn may have adopted, wittingly or not, to generate revenues, I am afraid I will never condone their current attitude toward smoking in interior spaces such as the Observation Bar. Why? My health and welfare trumps their planning for future revenues. It's the known versus the unknown. Period.

No one is immune from the illnesses caused by cigarette smoke. Surely Seabourn management can understand that their policies are wrong on that ground alone. Anyone born after 1950 knows that smoking is dangerous to health (and that includes Asians, Middle Easterners and South Americans). The absolute least Seabourn can do to show they are concerned about this health matter is to ban smoking entirely from interior spaces shared by passengers and crew such as the Observation Bar.

I would expect that all of the cruise lines study trends and issues from this site. They cannot remain blind to this logic too much longer, can they?

What worries me the most is that Seabourn risks becoming, with its more lenient policies, the preferred luxury line of the smoker.

We are booked on our first Seabourn cruise for next Summer (a verandah) and honestly I am wondering If I may have made a mistake. I love a balcony but having emphysema, am very sensitive to the smoke. I was originally told that there was no smoking on the balcony (obviously wrong information), I really would like to sail with Seabourn but dont want to pay for a balcony I will not be using. I was thinking of chancing it and hoping I have no smokers around me, but with all the other cruise lines tightening their smoking rules, I do worry that all the smokers will be heading for Seabourn. I feel like my only choice is to cancel my booking and go with another line, or settle for an inside cabin. I was really excited about Seabourn, but do wonder how great a company can really be that puts the health and welfare of its crew and guests on a backburner to profits.:confused:

There are no inside suites on Seabourn. If you are worried about smokers on balconies near you, the three smaller ships have only Juliet balconies and the three larger have suites without verandas.

Winnie

What I don't understand is how Carnival (the Corporation) is starting to rein in smoking in cabins and/or verandahs on its other lines (including party-hardy Carnival, where I would expect there would be a lot of smokers) and yet doesn't appear to be interested in providing a more smoke-free environment for its upscale line.

Check out this article from June this year:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/06/smoking-ban-princess-carnival-holland-america/174594/1

But the policy I'd like to see them institute on ALL American-owned cruise lines (don't think you'd ever get foreign-owned ones to comply) are what Oceania and Regent Seven Seas now have:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=Shipboard%20Services

and

http://www.rssc.com/cruisequestions/details.aspx?CatId=eb7b8daa-a9ad-4281-8f2a-30b003402c96#a4834243-4e3b-4a17-808d-09f221753e29

Now THAT'S the way to handle it! :)

Regent and Oceania have definitely got it right

As will Princess once the new no smoking on Balconies comes in

Meanwhile if Seabourn refuse to change their stance they will soon find even loyal Seabourn passengers will defect to other lines for more than just smoking issues but also the behaviour of the passengers they attract

Regent and Oceania have definitely got it right

As will Princess once the new no smoking on Balconies comes in

Meanwhile if Seabourn refuse to change their stance they will soon find even loyal Seabourn passengers will defect to other lines for more than just smoking issues but also the behaviour of the passengers they attract

What kind of behaviour by passengers have you witnessed ? Please explain as in process of booking late fall cruise and want to choose ship and itinerary carefully.

Bad experiences on South America and Asia cruises were quite enough

There are major cultural differences and if Seabourn is going to become the Luxury Smoking line it wont only be smoking that is an issue

I wanted to do Seabourns Black Sea cruise but am now looking elsewhere as no intention of paying for a luxury cruise and being unable to use my balcony or have smoke seeping through from next cabin

Could you tell us what these bad experiences were?

And on which cruises ?

Was it to do with passengers from non-western cultures not knowing how to behave "correctly" ?

I was staying at an upmarket 5* hotel in South Asia in 2008. In the depths of the recession, they had clearly started to market themselves to a broader demographic. A coach party from Northern India was staying and in the morning the women took over the swimming pool (an 'infinity' swimming pool, mind you) to wash various garments as they would normally do in the local river back home. The hotel manager was tearing his hair out - "What can I do ? They are paying guests!!"

It was very amusing and added a splash of local colour. They had finished by the time anyybody else wanted a swim and had used no detergents or soap, so no harm was done.

I suppose one would draw the line at passengers drying their laundry by the Sky Bar. or bringing their pet goats along....

June, I love your story! It was probably refreshing for the ladies to have clean water in a lovely setting rather than muddy waters on a river or lake bank.

I remember going on the ferry to Corfu from Brindisi in a 4 bedded cabin with a woman who had two chickens. Of course, it was the 60's.

If your suite is clean and the previous occupants have been responsible then its fine.If you are unlucky than it can ruin your cruise.There is usually no option to move suites.

I found the public areas Ok with one exeption.The observation lounge which as regulars will know is a great gathering spot.It allows Smoking(on one side).The whole lounge is tainted.

As a policy its a complete shambles.

Like other posters Regent have this about right.No smoking in suites ,balconies and any indoor public areas unless specifically designated.

Archived