Paying onboard expenses

waterlegs

Can you settle the seapass/onboard bill at the end of the cruise with cash or must you use a credit card?

You can use cash, credit card, or debit card. I believe they also still take traveler's checks.

We always settle up our account in cash. Yes the lines can be long after dinner. We always go to customer service very early on the last day at sea pay our balance and leave a $100.00 on our account to spend the last day. No big credit card bill for when we get home.:cool:

Do you simply forfeit the $100 or a portion thereof if you don't spend on the last day?

Just jumping in here since we are talking about onboard expenses...

Can I set up my credit card online before sailing to cover all costs incurred on board so that I never have to stand in a line or think about it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can I set up my credit card online before sailing to cover all costs incurred on board so that I never have to stand in a line or think about it?

Thanks!

If you are on Quantum class or Harmony, there is no standing in line at all.

If you are on other ships, you will have to let them swipe your card at check-in in the cruise terminal, but you won't have to stand in line on the ship.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, SOP

I have never understood using cash. Whether you pay the cruise line cash or pay your card off when you get home, it's the same thing. Personally for me, if it's the same, I'd rather have the extra points on my credit card for more free vacation.

It's a psychological thing.

I have never understood using cash. Whether you pay the cruise line cash or pay your card off when you get home, it's the same thing. Personally for me, if it's the same, I'd rather have the extra points on my credit card for more free vacation.

It is a practical thing for me. I dont have a credit card in my own name and my husband isn't coming on the trip. Our debit card is for paying bills etc so don't want to use it while away. Neither do I have a credit card.

If you have funds left, it will be refunded to you. If you have unused OBC and it's REFUNDABLE, it will also be refunded. If the OBC comes from the cruise line as some sort of promo....then it's not refunded...use it or lose it.

You can put a credit card "on file", and pay cash maybe early on the last full day...to avoid lines....then let anything else hit the credit card....that way, you don't have to waste hours of time trying to pay your bill in cash!

Thanks, guys.

I also use my card for all purchases in life--I'm talking $1 at Dunks to half of my husband's vehicle this year. I make on average about $25-$50 a month just from charging everything into my card. We sweep it every month so that there are no interest charges. BUT it does take discipline and knowing how much you can spend (to me, that is exactly like cash).

@waterlegs, if you're interested, you could have a card to use on your DH's account. That's what we do to maximize points. I have the CC account and he has a card in his name. Both of our checking accounts are on the pay accounts for the card so that we pay for our own charges. May sound confusing at first, but it becomes second nature.

Sorry so off topic, but I love to explain to people how much money they could be making with zero extra work, AS LONG as they are disciplined enough not to incur ANY monthly charges.

Edited by MrsDeee
bad spelling

Thanks, guys.

I also use my card for all purchases in life--I'm talking $1 at Dunks to half of my husband's vehicle this year. I make on average about $25-$50 a month just from charging everything into my card. We sweep it every month so that there are no interest charges. BUT it does take discipline and knowing how much you can spend (to me, that is exactly like cash).

@waterlegs, if you're interested, you could have a card to use on your DH's account. That's what we do to maximize points. I have the CC account and he has a card in his name. Both of our checking accounts are on the pay accounts for the card so that we pay for our own charges. May sound confusing at first, but it becomes second nature.

Sorry so off topic, but I love to explain to people how much money they could be making with zero extra work, AS LONG as they are disciplined enough not to incur ANY monthly charges.

I guess that's the crux of the argument. I don't use credit cards as credit cards. I just use them for the free rewards and then pay them off fully every month. But if your not disciplined enough to do that, I know that can get you into trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

We have to pay taxes when we pay with card (our home currency is euro) and we had problems in the past paying with cards because of bank permissions and sometimes our debit card don't work outside Europe.On the other hand, personally, we are not used to pay things with credit card, we like to pay the things imediately ;)

All we used on our account was on board credit. We are pretty light spenders on ships. We went on with $400 OBC and came home with $180. Didn't add a credit card to our account, didn't add any money during the trip. Was pretty nice. I went down to guest services about 8 the last night and got my balance. Waited in line about 10 minutes, took about 1 minute to cash out.

Maybe I'm really lucky, but I usually set up a cash account and pay on the last night. I've never encountered long lines. Last week on Indy my husband was able to take care of the bill in the amount of time it took me to get an iced latte from the Cafe Promenade.

As for why I did cash instead of leaving a card on file. I had money in my Paypal account and I have a Paypal debit card. I wanted to use up that balance before putting anything on my credit card. I planned on using both cards to pay. After OBC my bill ended up being only $66 so I didn't need my credit card.