Baltic cruise safety

hollyjess

I think they will just monitor the situation. They will also take heed of the advice posted by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. I don't think there will be any changes to itineraries just yet.

A few years ago I was meant to go to Copenhagen overnight on P&O Arcadia

Unfortnately the climate conference was being held in Copenhagen at the same time and this in turn brought about protesters

P&O made the decision not to sail into Copenhagen but instead we went to Aarhus/Denmark and Gothenburg/Sweden

I had a great time and love // loved exploring this incredible part of the world ( In my eyes )

If there is any reason for P&O to pull out of Russia then you will be told WELL in advance so dont worry.

I`ve been to Copenhagen since on Britannia and its a lovely city - The Little Mermaid statue is tiny - much smaller then I`d imagined it to be

The union jacks on the front of the ships aren't exactly discreet.

The Union FLAGS on the front of the ships.................it only becomes a JACK when hoisted on a flagpole:D:D:D

Due to the present situation between Russia and UK do you think P and O will rethink itinerary for Baltic cruises this year?

Not unless either diplomatic relations are broken off altogether or the FCO advise that Russia is no longer safe for British vistors, I would have thought. Though P&O do seem to be more cautious than some other cruise lines, which were still calling at Kuladesi in Turkey after P&O had decided it was no longer safe to do so. But to stop calling at St Petersburg would be a major step, which would probably make it substantially harder for them to sell Baltic cruises in future.

P and O didn’t change their itineraries during the Ukraine crisis a few years ago ( when Russia annexed Crimea). There were quite severe sanctions against Russia, but nothing to interfere with calls at Saint Petersburg.

The Foreign Office has updated its advice on travel to Russia, saying "heightened political tensions" mean Britons should "be aware of the possibility of anti-British sentiment or harassment at this time".

The above is on the BBC news site.

The Union FLAGS on the front of the ships.................it only becomes a JACK when hoisted on a flagpole:D:D:D

Sorry to correct you but it isn't a "flag" as it isn't made of material.

It isn't even a painting of a flag, but is decoration painting based on elements of a Union Jack.

Sorry to correct you but it isn't a "flag" as it isn't made of material.

It isn't even a painting of a flag, but is decoration painting based on elements of a Union Jack.

Ahh the great terminology debate.

As a flag - Its the union flag unless flown on the Jackstaff of a Royal Navy ship - then its the Union Jack... Any other flag pole its still the Union Flag.... The stylised ship decoration is just that - i think it looks good thou...

Hi....regarding this situation with Russia is it not up to each individual to decide whether they feel "comfortable" going to Russia.....why is it put upon the cruise company to make the decision for them....If you are watching how the situation is developing with Russia and you are uneasy then don't book to go. If you have already booked then change the cruise ...ok you may have to pay to change but what price safety and more peace of mind. I think in this very unstable world we have to be prepared to change our plans and make our own decisions and not wait to see what someone else decides for you.

Due to the present situation between Russia and UK do you think P and O will rethink itinerary for Baltic cruises this year?

Good Morning. I am following this post as I am already booked on the Britannia for the Baltic on 24/6/18 and whilst I am not concerned (at the moment) I am hoping that P&O do not decide to amend the itinerary and miss out the port of St Petersburg and actually give the option to cancel/rebook - if the situation becomes more volatile. I appreciate that the terms of cruise bookings does mean that cruise ports can be amended for various reasons, however, the reason for booking the Baltic cruise is the 2 days in St Petersburg with the added bonus of the other very interesting ports. I am very excited about this cruise and hoping all will go ahead.

I reckon they'll keep going to St. Petersburg unless otherwise advised by the FCO. Guidance will be issued to passengers in the usual manner.

I had contempated going on another Baltics myself, but probably staying onboard for the day(s) and that was before all this friction came about.

If P&O had to make long term changes, there are plenty of other ports nearby that they could offer. True that doesn't help folk who want to go to St. Petersburg, but at least the company could contune it's Baltic offerings.

Not unless either diplomatic relations are broken off altogether or the FCO advise that Russia is no longer safe for British vistors, I would have thought. Though P&O do seem to be more cautious than some other cruise lines, which were still calling at Kuladesi in Turkey after P&O had decided it was no longer safe to do so. But to stop calling at St Petersburg would be a major step, which would probably make it substantially harder for them to sell Baltic cruises in future.

I would happily go on a Baltic cruise that avoided St Petersburg and gave us a couple of days in far more interesting ports than crowded dirty St Petersburg - apart from the tourist attractions.

Blueboo I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Please report back on your return with all the highlights of the best port calls ( in your opinion).

Ah thank you :) very kind of you...I will report back...watch this space in a few weeks :)

Hi....regarding this situation with Russia is it not up to each individual to decide whether they feel "comfortable" going to Russia.....why is it put upon the cruise company to make the decision for them....If you are watching how the situation is developing with Russia and you are uneasy then don't book to go. If you have already booked then change the cruise ...ok you may have to pay to change but what price safety and more peace of mind. I think in this very unstable world we have to be prepared to change our plans and make our own decisions and not wait to see what someone else decides for you.

Its not quite as simple as that. The cruise lines will feel some responsibility towards its passengers. If a destination was considered to be possibly unsafe, the cruise line took pax there and then some were injured, the cruise line would more than likely be criticised for taking people to an unsafe destination.

As noted above, in the case of Turkey, P&O seem to have erred on the side of caution when it comes to passenger safety. I would expect them to do that with cruises to Russia at the moment. If you're not happy then is it possible to just stay on the ship - we had planned to do that when Kusadasi was originally down for our cruise.

Read somewhere on the internet yesterday that the British Embassy in St Petersburg is closing? Do you think this will make a difference to British cruise ships calling there?

I wouldn't have thought so.

Read somewhere on the internet yesterday that the British Embassy in St Petersburg is closing? Do you think this will make a difference to British cruise ships calling there?

It isnt the British Embassy in St Petersburg that has been ordered to close but the British Consulate.

I saw this somewhere else and thought it may be of interest if you are concerned about no representation in Russia.

Russia closes British consulate in St Petersburg. As EU citizens, Brits still have protection of all 27 other EU nations embassies in Russia.

Unlikely that they will stop visiting St Petersburg as the cruise lines get cheap fuel there.

We had a fuel bunker tied up against our ship for most of the day.

The Russian "Jobs worths" immigration officers will not doubt take even longer to check passports and visas.