Changes to special menus

mutziputzi

as I tried to post this 3 times I will keep it brief and answer questions should anyone want any answers. As from July there will be no pre ordering food for the next day in the evening in the MDR for those on special diets

as I tried to post this 3 times I will keep it brief and answer questions should anyone want any answers. As from July there will be no pre ordering food for the next day in the evening in the MDR for those on special diets

Where did you hear this ?

Was there any indication of how passengers with special dietary need will be able to ensure that what they ordering is safe for them?

We were on a paid galley tour the head chef told us they were extending the menu and that as from July there would be no need to pre order the evening before. I guess they must be adding more low-fat vegetarian gluten free items.

We were on a paid galley tour the head chef told us they were extending the menu and that as from July there would be no need to pre order the evening before. I guess they must be adding more low-fat vegetarian gluten free items.

Thanks for that. I will have to contact P&O as I was diagnosed last week with a stomach problem that means that I have a list of foods that I have to avoid and some of them are very common.

Where did you hear this ?

Was there any indication of how passengers with special dietary need will be able to ensure that what they ordering is safe for them?

You tell your table waiter that you need a special diet. An assistant head waiter will go thru the current supper menu. He’ll also bring the next days lunch and supper menu . He’ll take your order for both. I suggest eating in the MDR when possible. If they can’t make a certain dish for you . The assistant headwaiter will tell you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Surely they will have to continue the existing system in some form to cater for those with other allergies/intolerances, e.g. egg, dairy/lactose, nuts, etc. - all common ingredients?

They will unless they are wishing to end up in court.

The current menus do not contain sufficient allergy information and the waiters (nice as they are) don't have a clue about the ingredients.

Add to that you have P&O constantly misdescribing menu items (chestnut risotto when it is chestnut mushroom risotto) and the kitchen making substitutions without mentioning it.

All together you have a recipe for disaster (boom tish, I am here all week).

If wish id asked him now how the changes are going to be implemented call me a cynic but he said there were too many chefs caught up on a relatively few special diets, I'm afraid it came across as a cost cutting exercise, after all the head waiter will not have to come round in the evening and write lists. Perhaps if someone else goes on the galley tour they maybe able to get more answers.

You tell your table waiter that you need a special diet. An assistant head waiter will go thru the current supper menu. He’ll also bring the next days lunch and supper menu . He’ll take your order for both. I suggest eating in the MDR when possible. If they can’t make a certain dish for you . The assistant headwaiter will tell you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know this is how it works at the moment but the original post was that this will no longer happen.

They will unless they are wishing to end up in court.

The current menus do not contain sufficient allergy information and the waiters (nice as they are) don't have a clue about the ingredients.

Add to that you have P&O constantly misdescribing menu items (chestnut risotto when it is chestnut mushroom risotto) and the kitchen making substitutions without mentioning it.

All together you have a recipe for disaster (boom tish, I am here all week).

LOL! And precisely. It doesn't matter for us now because both children have outgrown a severe allergy, but in my experience P&O are still very hit and miss when dealing with this. I don't know how they can be contemplating this given the growing number of allergies and intolerances.

My friend is allergic to fish. Despite her ordering the day before, the waiter gave her a salad with anchovies. Not realising what it was she moved it with her knife and when realised that it was fish, immediately told the waiter. Although they then came back with a plain salad, they didn’t think to change the cutlery, and my friend (without thinking) then used the same knife. She had an allergic reaction and we managed to get antihistamines and steroids in her before it got worse and we needed medical help.

I dread to think what will happen if people with allergies are unable to order the day before. At least this way there should be some safety to what you receive, and clearly waiters aren’t thinking or understanding how serious food allergies can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That sounds as if it might be the head chef's own opinion rather than a change in company policy. He might think that there will be no need for people to pre-order in future, but I'd be very surprised if P&O prevented them from doing so.

• 2 weeks later...