Villefranche to Saint Paul de Vence

Punam

We booked a private tour. Otherwise too much time is wasted trying to get there and back. We were a group of four and I think the cost was 46€ pp? He was there promptly as soon as we got off the tender. If you do book a private tour, make sure to be on one of the first tenders to meet your tour. Some of our group got left behind because they couldn’t get off the ship for 3 hours due to a tendering snafu. We were so lucky in that we waited in line to get early tender tix, so a good deal of time can be wasted just trying to get to the pier.

For our day we went to the market in Nice and then into St Paul de Vence. There weren’t any crowds there in the afternoon.

It is a charming place.

I believe Riviera Premium Tours will go there. We were with a company called So Nice Tours.

http://www.sonicetours.com/sightseeing-tours

Edited by 4cats4me

We booked a private tour. Otherwise too much time is wasted trying to get there and back. We were a group of four and I think the cost was 46€ pp? He was there promptly as soon as we got off the tender. If you do book a private tour, make sure to be on one of the first tenders to meet your tour. Some of our group got left behind because they couldn’t get off the ship for 3 hours due to a tendering snafu. We were so lucky in that we waited in line to get early tender tix, so a good deal of time can be wasted just trying to get to the pier.

For our day we went to the market in Nice and then into St Paul de Vence. There weren’t any crowds there in the afternoon.

It is a charming place.

I believe Riviera Premium Tours will go there. We were with a company called So Nice Tours.

http://www.sonicetours.com/sightseeing-tours

Thank you so much. We were hoping to skip Nice, but the market sounds nice.

We also booked a private tour with Exclusive Riviera. http://frenchrivierasightseeing-tourguide.com/

We spent the entire day with Michel and it was honestly one of the best tours we have ever had. He dropped us at the entrance to Eze. I had also requested a visit to St. Paul de Vence, which is beautiful! (it is easy to do both in one day). He grew up in the area and provided a wealth of knowledge in a easy-going enjoyable manner.

We have recommended his services to many and I would look forward to booking him again if we ever return to the area.

Have a look at the reviews on TripAdvisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187234-d2314443-Reviews-Exclusive_Riviera_Tours-Nice_French_Riviera_Cote_d_Azur_Provence_Alpes_Cote_d_Azu.html

So lets try and toss out all of your options. Certainly a private car/driver is the most convenient (and most expensive). A shared private tour is also a great option if you can find others with a similar interest (try posting on the CC Roll Call). Another option is to simply rent a car in Villefranche and drive yourself (this is one or our personal favorite options).

So now we get to public transportation and unfortunately there is nothing direct from Villefranche to St Paul de Vence. You must first get to Nice from where you can take the #400 bus. Here is a new link I found (I normally use the bus company site...which is a pain) which is pretty clear:

https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-line-400-Nice-3260-902825-487321-0

So your first issue is getting to Nice (and to one of the bus stops) which you can do via the train or a regional bus from Villefranche. Depending on whether you use the train or bus (and which bus line) will impact your decision on the nearest bus stop to catch the #400. Getting the bus at the first stop will help ensure you get a seat although this may, or may not even be an issue. Another option is to take the train past Nice to the Cagnes sur Mer station from where you can pick up the #400 at the nearest bus stop. But the risk here is that the bus would be full when it gets to Cagnes sur Mer...and the driver does not bother to stop. It has never happened to us, but a recall somebody posting here on CC (a few years ago) that this happened to them.

So, why do we like renting a car? I think its in my DNA to drive in Europe (have been doing it for about thirty-five years) and we love the freedom to go where we want without having to wait for a bus, train, etc. One typical itinerary for us might be to drive to Nice where we spend some time at the Flower Market, then on to St Paul de Vence (a favorite place) where we walk, browse, and usually have lunch. Parking at St Paul de France is easy in the large indoor parking garage located just past the entrance....or perhaps you can get lucky and find a free spot along the road just past the entrance. If you have a car we also suggest visiting the neraby Maeght Fondation art musuem. After lunch we might drive to Antibes for a walk around the Marina and market and then back towards Nice where we might spend more time in Nice or perhaps drive to Eze Village...before returning the car. One regional company that rents cars (at least they used to) in Villefranche can be found at locauto.fr.

Hank

We also booked a private tour with Exclusive Riviera. http://frenchrivierasightseeing-tourguide.com/

We spent the entire day with Michel and it was honestly one of the best tours we have ever had. He dropped us at the entrance to Eze. I had also requested a visit to St. Paul de Vence, which is beautiful! (it is easy to do both in one day). He grew up in the area and provided a wealth of knowledge in a easy-going enjoyable manner.

We have recommended his services to many and I would look forward to booking him again if we ever return to the area.

Have a look at the reviews on TripAdvisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187234-d2314443-Reviews-Exclusive_Riviera_Tours-Nice_French_Riviera_Cote_d_Azur_Provence_Alpes_Cote_d_Azu.html

Thanks very much. I'll contact for pricing. Hope we have enough time in St Paul. I've heard of tours that give people 1 hour and they can't have lunch, or browse in the galleries. Im so excited about doign excatly that.

So lets try and toss out all of your options. Certainly a private car/driver is the most convenient (and most expensive). A shared private tour is also a great option if you can find others with a similar interest (try posting on the CC Roll Call). Another option is to simply rent a car in Villefranche and drive yourself (this is one or our personal favorite options).

So now we get to public transportation and unfortunately there is nothing direct from Villefranche to St Paul de Vence. You must first get to Nice from where you can take the #400 bus. Here is a new link I found (I normally use the bus company site...which is a pain) which is pretty clear:

https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-line-400-Nice-3260-902825-487321-0

So your first issue is getting to Nice (and to one of the bus stops) which you can do via the train or a regional bus from Villefranche. Depending on whether you use the train or bus (and which bus line) will impact your decision on the nearest bus stop to catch the #400. Getting the bus at the first stop will help ensure you get a seat although this may, or may not even be an issue. Another option is to take the train past Nice to the Cagnes sur Mer station from where you can pick up the #400 at the nearest bus stop. But the risk here is that the bus would be full when it gets to Cagnes sur Mer...and the driver does not bother to stop. It has never happened to us, but a recall somebody posting here on CC (a few years ago) that this happened to them.

So, why do we like renting a car? I think its in my DNA to drive in Europe (have been doing it for about thirty-five years) and we love the freedom to go where we want without having to wait for a bus, train, etc. One typical itinerary for us might be to drive to Nice where we spend some time at the Flower Market, then on to St Paul de Vence (a favorite place) where we walk, browse, and usually have lunch. Parking at St Paul de France is easy in the large indoor parking garage located just past the entrance....or perhaps you can get lucky and find a free spot along the road just past the entrance. If you have a car we also suggest visiting the neraby Maeght Fondation art musuem. After lunch we might drive to Antibes for a walk around the Marina and market and then back towards Nice where we might spend more time in Nice or perhaps drive to Eze Village...before returning the car. One regional company that rents cars (at least they used to) in Villefranche can be found at locauto.fr.

Hank

Very genrous of you to provide all these details, Hank. Really helpful! Your description almost makes me want to drive. Almost. We'll see :)

Totally agree with Hank. We've rented cars several times at this port and you can do so much more (and at your pace) than you can with a tour. With a private driver you could do the same but :eek: the price.

We much prefer being in control of our own destiny.

We love to DIY in most places and this was our original plan from Villefranche. Upon reflection DH decided he wanted to enjoy the scenery, so that's why we hired a driver/guide. When we got there we were so glad we did and DH was so happy to relax, enjoy the beautiful vistas and leave the driving to someone else. The roads are very steep and narrow, with sharp cliff drop-offs in some places. (We are not nervous drivers as we frequently navigate steep, curvy mountain roadways in our home state.) There was parking at St. Paul de Vence, but very limited at Eze. We also would have missed out on the rich narrative, anicdotes and perspective of a local. Only you can decide your priorites and comfort level. Either way - it is a beautiful area!

We love to DIY in most places and this was our original plan from Villefranche. Upon reflection DH decided he wanted to enjoy the scenery, so that's why we hired a driver/guide. When we got there we were so glad we did and DH was so happy to relax, enjoy the beautiful vistas and leave the driving to someone else. The roads are very steep and narrow, with sharp cliff drop-offs in some places. (We are not nervous drivers as we frequently navigate steep, curvy mountain roadways in our home state.) There was parking at St. Paul de Vence, but very limited at Eze. We also would have missed out on the rich narrative, anicdotes and perspective of a local. Only you can decide your priorites and comfort level. Either way - it is a beautiful area!

Thanks very much. All good points to consider. I appreciate all the replies. You've been so thorough and helpful :)

Very genrous of you to provide all these details, Hank. Really helpful! Your description almost makes me want to drive. Almost. We'll see :)

It's a very easy drive. We first visited on a ship but have since been back three times for three nights each on a land trip.

We would like to go directly from the dock to Saint Paul de Vence

We love to DIY in most places and this was our original plan from Villefranche. Upon reflection DH decided he wanted to enjoy the scenery, so that's why we hired a driver/guide.!

We completely agree about hiring a guide/driver. We loved the narrative we were given by Ingrid.

Check out Kultours on Trip Advisor. :)

Thanks very much. I'll contact for pricing. Hope we have enough time in St Paul. I've heard of tours that give people 1 hour and they can't have lunch, or browse in the galleries. Im so excited about doign excatly that.

We did a private tour with Sylvie Di Christo, and it was a fabulous day. We spent quite a bit of time at Saint Paul de Vence. There is a beautiful hotel there, with a magnificent outdoor area for dining, and incredible artwork in the hotel. We must’ve spent two hours enjoying an incredible lunch. We had invited Sylvie to dine with us And although we didn’t have a reservation they were happy to take care of her. There was the famous composer having lunch and working on his music. She approached him and he turned out to be very charming, invited us to sit with him for a few minutes, and was very engaging. We also went to Monte Carlo, as well as other stops. It was one of the most enjoyable tours I’ve ever been on. Sylvie is incredible

We did a private tour with Sylvie Di Christo, and it was a fabulous day. We spent quite a bit of time at Saint Paul de Vence. There is a beautiful hotel there, with a magnificent outdoor area for dining, and incredible artwork in the hotel. We must’ve spent two hours enjoying an incredible lunch. We had invited Sylvie to dine with us And although we didn’t have a reservation they were happy to take care of her. There was the famous composer having lunch and working on his music. She approached him and he turned out to be very charming, invited us to sit with him for a few minutes, and was very engaging. We also went to Monte Carlo, as well as other stops. It was one of the most enjoyable tours I’ve ever been on. Sylvie is incredible

I will second this recommendation. She’s amazing. Even our tour guide in Rome said she’s the best in the business.

We did a private tour with Sylvie Di Christo, and it was a fabulous day.

I will second this recommendation. She’s amazing. Even our tour guide in Rome said she’s the best in the business.

I agree that Sylvie is very good. But' date=' we liked Ingrid even more. [/b']:)

• 5 months later...
We completely agree about hiring a guide/driver. We loved the narrative we were given by Ingrid.

Check out Kultours on Trip Advisor. :)

Could you tell me if your tour with Kultours included lunch in the cost? If not, did you stop somewhere for lunch and was it pricey> Thanks

We used Michel as well and was a fantastic day!!

Could you tell me if your tour with Kultours included lunch in the cost? If not, did you stop somewhere for lunch and was it pricey> Thanks

The lunch was not included in the tour. Ingrid gave us suggestions of restaurants. She made reservations for us so we did not waste too much time. :)