Carnival Wants More Money for Cruise Last Month

mzloolue

The NOT so Fun Ship Cruise, Part 2

My DH and I took our Carnival cruise #6 on the now infamous Holiday "Five Day Cruise to Nowhere" which started on January 31, 2009.

We were, of course, paid in full before the cruise and paid in full when we disembarked the ship and have the documentation that shows it.

We had intended to book a shore excursion, but that port was canceled and we ended up not spending any money($0.00) at all on board.

The tip charges were the only charges on the Sign and Sail bill.

This Saturday,(Feb 21) I received an unsigned letter instructing me to remit to Carnival $144.27 for services rendered. There was no description of said services.

Since there was no name on the unsigned letter, I decided to address my questions to G Cahill, as at least I know his name.

After three e-mails to GCahill@carnival.com, I received a call this evening from a woman named Martha who identified herself as a representative of G Cahill. This Martha says that there was an accounting mistake and I owe $144.27 on the January 31, 2009 cruise, even though I have a statement that shows me paid in full before the cruise and the one issued to me on board the ship that also shows me paid in full.

I asked for information in writing showing the accounting error and an explanation be sent to me.

Martha said that they researched and found this error and that Carnival is like a bank and I am required to pay $144.27.

I disagreed and told her so.

I also asked what action would be taken if I chose not to pay the $144.27 and she said that I would be turned over to collections.

I have sent another e-mail to GCahill@carnival.com and hopefully will receive a reply soon.

I don't know anything about the internal workings of Carnival and I really don't care to learn.

In fact, I have already learned more than I ever wanted to know.

I do know that I paid Carnival what they told me to pay.

I went on the trip.

I didn't complain about the messed up cruise.

I came back home and at this point in time the January 31 cruise should have been history.

Instead it's kind of like a case of sea sickness that just won't go away.

So, has anyone else been asked to pay more money to correct Carnival's error after a cruise is over and done with?

Sometimes snail mail gets a better response than email. Try this:

Guest Relations

Carnival Cruise Lines

Carnival Place

3655 NW 87th Ave.

Miami, FL 33178-2428

Or, try the guest relations phone #: 1-888-CARNIVAL

I wouldn't be paying anything unless they could tell me exactly what it was for. Sounds like it was an error on their part....if an accounting error, then it is their error and shouldn't be passed on to you. You paid what was asked for at the time of the cruise. Hang on to that receipt.

Do you have caller ID? Did the call come from the Miami area? Something seems fishy to me. This may not even be Carnival that is contacting you, but some scam that just wants your credit card number.

I don't see how it is possible that they would come to you after the fact to say you owed them any money.

Do you have caller ID? Did the call come from the Miami area? Something seems fishy to me. This may not even be Carnival that is contacting you, but some scam that just wants your credit card number.

I don't see how it is possible that they would come to you after the fact to say you owed them any money.

It would be a pretty slick scam since they would have had to hack into the presidents email address.

Yeah that is the impression I got while reading. I am VERY suspicious of people coming to me demanding that I owe $$ and that I had better give them my credit card # to settle a bill I have PROOF of that is different than what I am being told.

Something sounds fishy...:eek:

There is always small claims court, even a judge would make them show their accounting for why you owe anything at all. I am hard headed, and I would not give in a dime until I know how they screwed it up...then I would take the stance that since it was their bookkeeping error, they should have to eat it.

They are NOT being very smart about this...risking losing a customer for less than $150. That amount is less than some discounts...doh!!

My DH and I took our Carnival cruise #6 on the now infamous Holiday "Five Day Cruise to Nowhere" which started on January 31, 2009.

We were, of course, paid in full before the cruise and paid in full when we disembarked the ship and have the documentation that shows it.

We had intended to book a shore excursion, but that port was canceled and we ended up not spending any money($0.00) at all on board.

This Saturday,(Feb 21) I received an unsigned letter instructing me to remit to Carnival $144.27 for services rendered. There was no description of said services.

Since there was no name on the unsigned letter, I decided to address my questions to G Cahill, as at least I know his name.

After three e-mails to GCahill@carnival.com, I received a call this evening from a woman named Martha who identified herself as a representative of G Cahill. This Martha says that there was an accounting mistake and I owe $144.27 on the January 31, 2009 cruise, even though I have a statement that shows me paid in full before the cruise and the one issued to me on board the ship that also shows me paid in full.

I asked for information in writing showing the accounting error and an explanation be sent to me.

Martha said that they researched and found this error and that Carnival is like a bank and I am required to pay $144.27.

I also asked what action would be taken if I chose not to pay the $144.27 and she said that I would be turned over to collections.

I have sent another e-mail to GCahill@carnival.com and hopefully will receive a reply soon.

I don't know anything about the internal workings of Carnival and I really don't care to learn.

I went on the trip.

I came back home and at this point in time the January 31 cruise should have been history.

So, has anyone else been asked to pay more money to correct Carnival's error after a cruise is over and done with?

My advice,

Try to work it out with Carnival on your own. If that doesn't work, ignore them. So what if they turn you over to collections. Nobody in their right mind will sue you for $144.00 That wouldn't even cover the filing fee for the lawsuit. (Ok, well, maybe in small claims it would, but you get the point) The worst that happens is you get a few annoying phone calls.

This is just weird. Did you book with a PVP or TA? Coming back after the fact without a itemized invoice sends up red flags. Collections doesn't usually come into play until at least 60-90 days has gone by from the original bill. The ball is in their court to prove what you owe and why. Something just isn't right with this.

I went on the trip.

Please E-Mail me. I can help you out JPIPES@GT.RR.COM give me a few days to respond.

My advice,

Try to work it out with Carnival on your own. If that doesn't work, ignore them. So what if they turn you over to collections. Nobody in their right mind will sue you for $144.00 That wouldn't even cover the filing fee for the lawsuit. (Ok, well, maybe in small claims it would, but you get the point) The worst that happens is you get a few annoying phone calls.

If they turn the op over to collections, that will go on his credit. That is not something anyone would want.

I would definitely give Carnival a call directly (do not call the number on the letter) and see what they have to say about the matter.

I went on the trip.

Well, something sounds fishy here.

First, forget the emails....

Call them, speak with guest relations....get a supervisor if necessary. Have your booking number and other info handy. If the supervisor shows a balance due, it will show why there is one. Have her mail it to you by snail mail.

If it is for purchases allegedly made onboard, they can send you copies of receipts that you signed. Each purchase onboard requires a signature on the charge slip/receipt.

Dont' jump to conclusions. This could be a scam operation or anything. Work on the phone and through snail mail to get it straightened out.

By the way, Gary Cahill doesn't get involved in this type of thing. He is President and CEO and anything you send to him gets trickled down to an underling. While it might make you feel good to go off on him, he won't see it or read it.

If you want to resolve it, get on the phone with guest relations.

This does sound like a scam to me. It is not the way any of my dealings, over several years, have been conducted. That being said, you do need to get to the bottom of the whole issue, in my opinion.

If you wish to pursue this, most assuredly do it in writing. Send your letter to the guest relations department at the address posted above. Send your letter certified with a receipt requested. This will cost you several dollars, but will give you the information as to who received your letter and the time, etc.

I am fighting with a medical laboratory over a number of small bills, which I have already paid and which their accounting department claims I have not. I can account for my payments; they cannot. All correspondence from me is now in writing. So far, they refuse to send me a complete statement of my account as they can't manage to figure out their own accounting system.

Because of this battle, I can sympathize with you. I do believe that your contract with any cruise line includes an agreement to allow them to charge you for overages discovered within a specified period after your cruise. I also believe that they would have to be able to document them to have a valid claim.

I am no lawyer, but I do not part with my money easily, so I have some experience in this area.

Doc

I doubt this is a scam since it is unlikely anyone outside of Carnival accessed the CEO's e-mail.

What is more likely is that Carnival has made an error and it sounds as if they cannot substantiate the charge and have just resorted to arm twisting to get the money (this is not that uncommon in the business world)

As stated, the most productive way to clear this up is via telephone.

Don't send the letter back, you should hold onto it in case this ends up in a hearing or adjudication.

I would not ignore it, as it could end up part of your credit record.

I would not pay this until they substantiate the reason for the bill.

I agree.....don't pay unless proof of charges are given to you. I've been on 10 Carnival cruises, and a total of 15 cruises, and never have I been asked to pay after I left the ship. In fact, if you really did owe the money, I'd be surprised if they let you off the ship! I did complain to the Customer Service dept about how bad a disembarkation was one time, and they gave me drink vouchers on my next cruise. I would never turn down a drink voucher! :)

OP mentioned a problem with the bill onboard the ship in another post. Was this amount the same?

I am lax keeping up with what the cruise contract says, but I am willing to go out on a limb here and say it says somewhere in there that if charges are found later they are due Carnival.

I have dealt with scams and accounting errors before. Mistakes happen. But why send an email, on the weekend, to the CEO, when you can pick up the phone and call to ask? Wait until monday and call first thing. Then you tell the person you received a strange letter and inquire if it did indeed come from Carnival. If the answer is yes, you then ask what it is about and request anything you do not recognize be mailed to you.

I do not know how the question was put to the lady that called, but they cannot turn you over for collection until they have provided you with the proof that the amount is due. And a letter that comes that says pay this amount will not work as proof that amount is due.

There has to be more to this story.

Archived