cruising - probation

As a former long-time probation officer, I can answer how it would be for Virginia. If you are on probation, you cannot travel more than 100 miles from your home without permission. You also must have permission to leave the state, if the state line is within the 100 mile limit. Some states, Florida included, require persons on probation to register with the local sheriff during their vacations/business trips, etc. This paperwork must be completed several weeks prior to the trip but is easily done.

The biggest hurdle is leaving the country. Permission may be granted for someone on probation to travel outside the country but it usually has to come from the judge who originally sentenced that person. Again, it all depends on the state because each one has individual Conditions of Probation. Your friend should also be aware that the Permission to Travel is an actual form that is for his benefit. If stopped for a traffic ticket or something else, he/she would not want to be detained in another state while the local authorities sort out whether they are legally in their state. Without the permission to travel permit, your friend could be held until their home state decides whether to charge them with a probation violation. Sorry if this is confusing.

The bottom line is that yes, technically it is possible but it must be addressed with their probation officer. Your friend should also know that if they have been compliant with all their other conditions of probation, their chance of making the trip are greatly increased. However, if your friend has been in violation of any of the conditions, it is unlikely that they will be granted permission to travel. Good luck!

I am a probation/parole agent here in Wisconsin and for people on probation here they need a travel permit to leave the state and we cannot give permission for them to leave the country. That needs to be done through the judge. As others have said the best person to talk to would be their PO. I personally would not let someone go on a vacation if they owed alot of money for or are behind on their payments for court costs, restitution or supervision fees.

We live in Texas and in order to take our son who is on probation, we must get permission first and then we have to put up a $25,000 bond in case he doesn't come back. A little too expensive for us to take him. He will have to stay home a few more years.

Hi there Dave4. Maryland's rules are the same as above. We can not give our offenders permission to go out of the country. We can not even ask a judge if it's ok. Our offenders have to write to the judge and make their request. So your friend needs to get on the stick and he better be current with his monies, reporting as he is suppose to and going to treatment if required. If his conviction was the result of alcohol or drug issues he may not be allowed to drink alcohol. So please be a true friend and help him stay alcohol free. Meaning don't push the alcohol and tell him one drink won't matter because it will and it does matter. Enjoy your cruise!

oc pat

I hate to tell you RBOrrell, you probably will be on vacation with people on probation (maybe for something minor that they've gotten permission to leave the state/country), people who are possible one time felons not on parole anymore, people who lie, cheat, and even steal. It's a fact of life, you can't be around good people all the time and I'm sure you've done a thing or two in your life that maybe you should have gotten caught for, or something you regret. No, I'm not a person who has ever been arrested in fact my father is a retired police officer but I do believe that people who make mistakes and have paid their time and truly have rehabilitated deserve to have a second chance. That being said, I don't think the original poster asked for opinions on their friend they asked for advice on how to travel with someone on probation who may be a really nice person who made a bad choice (maybe they had a DUI, or maybe it was bad check charges...not everyone on probation is a violent criminal).

I hate to tell you RBOrrell, you probably will be on vacation with people on probation (maybe for something minor that they've gotten permission to leave the state/country), people who are possible one time felons not on parole anymore, people who lie, cheat, and even steal. It's a fact of life, you can't be around good people all the time and I'm sure you've done a thing or two in your life that maybe you should have gotten caught for, or something you regret. No, I'm not a person who has ever been arrested in fact my father is a retired police officer but I do believe that people who make mistakes and have paid their time and truly have rehabilitated deserve to have a second chance. That being said, I don't think the original poster asked for opinions on their friend they asked for advice on how to travel with someone on probation who may be a really nice person who made a bad choice (maybe they had a DUI, or maybe it was bad check charges...not everyone on probation is a violent criminal).

Well Said:D

I hope I am not on a cruise with someone on probation.

For me, that would depend on what they are on probation for...and how would you know anyway. Could be some sweet little granny sitting next to you at dinner :p . I'd hope not, but it could happen :) .

Hate to sound like a cliché, but judge the individual person and not the crime. I have worked with several ex-offenders (ex-con’s, former guests of the state, guest of the Graybar Hotel) that were convicted of homicide. One in particular, I would trust with anything I have. Another, I hate the thought he is walking the streets. Most are somewhere in the middle.

In the same line of work I have contact with people with no criminal record at all. Some I would trust with anything I have and others I hate the thought that they are walking the streets. Most are somewhere in the middle.

Cruisers fit into this range as well.

Once again thanks for advice and support. The friend is a teenager girl with a minor offense - 1 yr probation. She'll stay home this time. Didn't want to offer if this was a no go. Her brother will get to go, she'll be home....another price to pay for doing wrong.

Once again thanks for advice and support. The friend is a teenager girl with a minor offense - 1 yr probation. She'll stay home this time. Didn't want to offer if this was a no go. Her brother will get to go, she'll be home....another price to pay for doing wrong.

If she is a juvenile, she only needs permission from her P.O. to go on vacation. It shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps her staying home is the wake-up call she needs to get right with her life.

Archived