Tips for Transatlantic please

Kaibocan

If medicine is not your thing on amazon there is a band called reliefband it’s about 100 bucks but it sends electric pulses to your nervous system to balance your equilibrium. Just used it on my Anthem OTS Cruise in February and will bring it with me on this Silhouette TA in April. It works wonders!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm curious about your conclusion that "it works." Were the seas rough when you did not have it on, and you were seasick? And then you put it on and felt better?

We will be doing our 5th trans-Atlantic on the Reflection in a couple weeks. We luv them because it allows us to visit a certain parts of Europe prior or after the cruise inexpensively. Done 2 eastbound and 2 westbound. Prefer the westbound with its gaining hours and not a long flight home.

The cruise passenger demographics you will find very different then a Caribbean or a European only cruise. Usually an older and an experienced cruiser, don't be surprised if 75% or more of the passengers are Elite status or higher. The bars will be empty most of the cruise because of no drink package perks. I enjoy the lectures in the morning and the gym in the afternoon so that eats up most of my day. Wife enjoys the solarium area. Never get bored.

Mek, I agree with you about jet lag. I haven’t tried a westbound TA yet, but I do like the shorter flight on the outbound leg. It’s also nice to have the chance to pick up forgotten items in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale before boarding the ship.

Banjo, you may be right about the usual demographic on TAs, but we definitely didn’t find empty bars on Reflection last April. We were not Elite (nor were two of our friends) but I would agree with you that the majority of the passengers were probably Elite or higher. We were pleased that there were many places for people to gather for food, drinks, coffee, cards and music. Cafe al Bacio was usually quite busy, and Game On was usually full of people happily playing cards or other games. The solarium is indeed a great place to relax, though it can be packed on rainy days. Like you and your wife, we were never bored:cool::cool:.

M

Banjo, you may be right about the usual demographic on TAs, but we definitely didn’t find empty bars on Reflection last April. We were not Elite (nor were two of our friends) but I would agree with you that the majority of the passengers were probably Elite or higher. We were pleased that there were many places for people to gather for food, drinks, coffee, cards and music. Cafe al Bacio was usually quite busy, and Game On was usually full of people happily playing cards or other games. The solarium is indeed a great place to relax, though it can be packed on rainy days. Like you and your wife, we were never bored:cool::cool:.

Silkroad, it has been my experience on trans-Atlantic between the hours of 5p to 7p the bars are packed with Elites or higher with coupons (I've always been given coupons). The trans-Atlantic cruises with so many Elites or higher would overwhelm the Sky Lounge, where they are usually held. Usually you are allowed to be served at about a 1/2 dozen bars around the ship. If it is a nice day we head up to the Sunset Bar. Other then that time period I found the bars to be dead. Also, after the 9pm show, I find most folks head off to bed. Not a lot late night action like a Caribbean cruise would have. A real mellow crowd but great for meeting new friends.

Concerning Cafe Bacio, if you are Elite+, you have the unlimited perk of specialty coffees./teas. That maybe the reason for the Cafe being busy. Not at that level.

Anyway, I find it to be very enjoyable and the best cruise bargain. We love traveling around a certain part of Europe on our own the week prior or after the cruise.

Silkroad, it has been my experience on trans-Atlantic between the hours of 5p to 7p the bars are packed with Elites or higher with coupons (I've always been given coupons). The trans-Atlantic cruises with so many Elites or higher would overwhelm the Sky Lounge, where they are usually held. Usually you are allowed to be served at about a 1/2 dozen bars around the ship. If it is a nice day we head up to the Sunset Bar. Other then that time period I found the bars to be dead. Also, after the 9pm show, I find most folks head off to bed. Not a lot late night action like a Caribbean cruise would have. A real mellow crowd but great for meeting new friends.

Concerning Cafe Bacio, if you are Elite+, you have the unlimited perk of specialty coffees./teas. That maybe the reason for the Cafe being busy. Not at that level.

Anyway, I find it to be very enjoyable and the best cruise bargain. We love traveling around a certain part of Europe on our own the week prior or after the cruise.

I guess we were fortunate to find a little more music and dancing after 9pm on our TA lol. We will be elite for our second TA, so we’ll finally have the opportunity to investigate the Elite happy hour. This will be on Edge, so I’m not sure where they will host it.

I agree that they’re great bargains and quite enjoyable. We must wait for retirement to enjoy TAs in conjunction with European land travel. Can’t wait:)

Very true. I would recommend this for any new medication, especially for those who are smaller than average and/or take other medications that may cause drowsiness. That’s why I think it’s a good idea to check with one’s physician or a pharmacist before taking any OTC medication for motion sickness. I can report that 1/2 of a 50 mg Dramamine knocked me out for 10 hours, but a 25 mg Bonine did not make me drowsy. For reference, I’m a 120 lb woman. Everyone is different, so as you say, it’s best to be cautious when trying a new drug for the first time.

Adding my two cents: Don't forget that alcohol can have an effect on the non-drowsy Bonine! I was one of those zombies until I figured out what was happening.

The Relief Band absolutely works for me. I wear it on airplanes, ships, boats and traveling on winding and/or bumpy roads. If I forget to take my band to the movie theater I have to close my eyes when there’s a lot of motion on screen.

I feel a slight tingling and pushing sensation on my wrist when it is turned on. I start it as soon as the ship leaves port. The familiar pressure bands don’t help me at all.

If you purchase a Relief Band make sure it’s one with replaceable batteries. There are “disposable” models out there.

Have any of you purchased the internet pkg on a TA? I’m wondering how often it works. We have elderly parents and need to stay in touch with their caregivers.

I had the internet on two TAs last year on Reflection and it worked fine most of the time. The only time it seemed to drop was late evening, which I found surprising as I would have thought that was one of the quieter times for usage. Otherwise the connection speeds were fine and I was able to do a couple of Facebook Lives, although the signal did drop if I moved away from a wifi point as I went around the ship.

We are on our third TA next month on the Reflection. The east bound can definitely drain you with the time changes. We found a a quick nap in the afternoon, before getting ready for pre dinner drinks seemed to help. But as others have said, don’t over book your schedules.

Definitely bring some sort of wind breaker or water resistant jacket. We had a few “misty” days and these helped.

If it’s a colder sea day and a bit rainy the pool bar very like is still open. Maybe grab a glass of champagne and sit in the hot tub? You might have most of the deck to yourself.

Michaels club can be a great place on a day you don’t want to be outside. They should have some nice, but minimal, rotating entertainment starting in the late afternoon. You won’t likely see it in the daily so be sure to stop in and ask.

Internet worked fine for us on our previous TAs. We always get the unlimited package as I need it for work. There were a few times it was spotty but overall I was happy with its ability to connect and load what I needed.

Lastly, my absolute favorite thing about a TA is the fact that you are miles from land. If you want to disconnect oh boy, can you ever. Just look out into the ocean and let yourself get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are on our third TA next month on the Reflection. The east bound can definitely drain you with the time changes. We found a a quick nap in the afternoon, before getting ready for pre dinner drinks seemed to help. But as others have said, don’t over book your schedules.

Definitely bring some sort of wind breaker or water resistant jacket. We had a few “misty” days and these helped.

If it’s a colder sea day and a bit rainy the pool bar very like is still open. Maybe grab a glass of champagne and sit in the hot tub? You might have most of the deck to yourself.

Michaels club can be a great place on a day you don’t want to be outside. They should have some nice, but minimal, rotating entertainment starting in the late afternoon. You won’t likely see it in the daily so be sure to stop in and ask.

Internet worked fine for us on our previous TAs. We always get the unlimited package as I need it for work. There were a few times it was spotty but overall I was happy with its ability to connect and load what I needed.

Lastly, my absolute favorite thing about a TA is the fact that you are miles from land. If you want to disconnect oh boy, can you ever. Just look out into the ocean and let yourself get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you remember what the unlimited internet cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for reminding me of a very wonderful afternoon on an eastbound TA on the Eclipse some years ago. It was raining, and the pool deck was deserted. My wife, a friend of ours, and I had a hot tub to ourselves. Incredibly relaxing.

I've done Celebrity eastbound TA's the last couple years and they changed the clocks at 2pm, so we jumped from 1 to 3pm. It did make dinner come around quickly. Was told it was done that way to benefit the crew and their shifts.

Do you remember what the unlimited internet cost?

The price varies depending on the length of the cruise. For a 13 day cruise the on board price is $299. The pre-cruise price, which is combinable with any Captain's Club discount you may be entitled to, is $269. You would have to call Celebrity to get the discount added if you are entitled to one.

It may be worth checking your Cruise Planner to see what the price is showing as there. There was a sale recently, however any Captain's Club discount is not combinable with any 'sale' price.

I've done Celebrity eastbound TA's the last couple years and they changed the clocks at 2pm, so we jumped from 1 to 3pm. It did make dinner come around quickly. Was told it was done that way to benefit the crew and their shifts.

I think when the clocks change is down to the Captain. I've done three TAs and the changes were done overnight on each.

• 2 months later...

Great thread and helpful

Glad to hear there will be educational speakers-- we had some on our Baltics cruise which I so enjoyed

Hoping the slow creep to the EU will allow for some fun days on the other side with perhaps less jetlag?

Is it typical for the ship to appear undersold 10 mos out... lots of cabins left... Mostly suites booked/AQ/C

The lack of "perks" is a bummer

Just did Silhouette TA and time change was 2AM. Same on Reflection westbound TA October 2017

We are on the Seabourn Sojurn transpacific from Kobe to Vancouver. We lost an hour most days. The Captain has us turn the clocks ahead at 2 pm. This works great. When you lose an hour it’s easier done in the middle of the day. No lost sleep for the crew or passengers. If we are going westbound transatlantic on Celebrity, it has always been done at night. No problem with an extra hour of sleep!