affordable world cruise

njsonja

looking at prices....Princess seems the most reasonable....any ideas if there is ever a sale on a world cruise? balcony is what we can do....any ideas, please reach out to me....thanks...

NJSONJA, yes I have been looking at the princess world cruise from LA over the last year and a half. What I noticed, if you check the site on a frequent basis, the rates change like the stock market. I have seen half price about 9 months out. But the price only lasts a day or two and then bumps up. Spoke with a travel agent, and they said it is better to check prices on your own then wait for them. I am looking at the 2017 cruise myself. Hope this helps.

Both Cunard and HAL reduced prices on some categories of cabins on their World Voyages a few weeks ago. I haven't checked to see if the prices have gone back up.

HAL's is still reduced for inside and ocean view cabins.

One thing to look at for all cruises but especially WC's that cost less is the number of sea days and overnighters. Last time I checked Princess had the highest volume of sea days and the lowest number of overnights. Sometimes it makes more sense to pay a little more if you get to see or do more.

Edited by KirkNC

HAL's is still reduced for inside and ocean view cabins.

One thing to look at for all cruises but especially WC's that cost less is the number of sea days and overnighters. Last time I checked Princess had the highest volume of sea days and the lowest number of overnights. Sometimes it makes more sense to pay a little more if you get to see or do more.

I agree Kirk. I was considering the Princess world for 2016 but decided there weren't enough overnight stays. To bad because I get Elite perks on Princess. I have the 2017 HAL world booked. By then I will at least get free laundry on HAL as well as a lot of overnight port calls.

• 1 month later...

Average cruise changes pricing 70 times. If you are considering a long WC and have not been on the line(s), you are considering try a 7Ner on them. I will say Princess is billed as every mans cruise line; right in middle with a diverse passenger base.HAL will be very sedate and much older.

• 10 months later...

Ladies, You will find discounts on WCs from the larger discount cruise agencies .Just make sure the agent is experienced in them. Many details such as Visas etc. I currently see HAL Amsterdam at only 1K more for 111 days also as Pacific. Sea Princess over 1K more. Princess is a bit cheaper cause its always at sea. Look at HAL reviews, itin. Count ports. I think most cruise vets will agree she is a better all around product.Pacific is getting a little tired, needs more dining options for such a long cruise. Sea has been Aussie for several years. Cannot speak for her food.

Edited by zoncom

Ladies, You will find discounts on WCs from the larger discount cruise agencies .Just make sure the agent is experienced in them. Many details such as Visas etc. I currently see HAL Amsterdam at only 1K more for 111 days also as Pacific. Sea Princess over 1K more. Princess is a bit cheaper cause its always at sea. Look at HAL reviews, itin. Count ports. I think most cruise vets will agree she is a better all around product.Pacific is getting a little tired, needs more dining options for such a long cruise. Sea has been Aussie for several years. Cannot speak for her food.

One other positive for HAL --- if you are cruising solo, you will not pay 200% for interior and oceanview cabins as you will on Princess. If you are solo and want a balcony, however, you will get a much better deal on Princess.

• 11 months later...

I submit this information

regarding the pacific Princess. We are elite on Princess and did the full world in 2015 and 2016. On the plus side the dining room is incredible. The food and service terrific. The room stewards are wonderful. However Princess repeats a lot of the things on each segment. I believe it to be wonderful for a segment or two but Dreary for a full world Cruise .

The small ship feeling is wonderful but it also limits the public spaces because of its size and does not have a full promanade.

The small intimate theater makes it difficult to view the shows as it's virtually all at the same level. And when used as a movie theater in the afternoon with rare exception you cannot see over the head of the person in front of you.

The balcony rooms are more reasonable than on Holland and the West Coast round-trip is very convenient, but on a world cruise the attributes of the ship are very important. and the Pacific Princess does not do it for us. We have switched to the MS Amsterdam. No negatives for us on the ship.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My friend and I researched all the cruise lines who are doing a 2019 cruise and found many different pricings as well as itineraries. In order to compare apples-to-apples, we included the cost of all the necessities that we'd want or need, to come up with comparable prices. Some of those included: airfare, shore excursions, OBC, gratuities, medical care, internet, laundry, special events, visa package, luggage delivery, pre-cruise hotel stay, transfers, spa credit, etc. The value of these is about $19,000.

We took the base cruise price and added $19,000 to it. Even though Princess had a cheaper base price, it didn't include many of the things listed above. We eventually chose Oceania because even though their base price was higher, it included all of the listed services. We feel the total value plus the excellent food and service on Oceania made this the best choice for us. It will be on a similar ship to Pacific Princess (a former R ship).

The other thing that made us choose Oceania over Princess is that O has more port days vs. sea days than Princess. O has port days for 60% of the total cruise days and 40% sea days. That's another reason that Princess has a cheaper base price, as it has 40% of the cruise as port days and 60% as sea days.

I'm sure a world cruise will be amazing on any cruise line, but this is the method we used to choose our trip.

Just so nobody is scared off by the $19,000, this amount will be different for everyone. For example, HAL pays the gratuities and uses FedEx to ship luggage to the ship and back home for certain grades of staterooms booked by a certain date. My TA pays for the hotel the night before my cruise. I paid $320 for my airfare and under $200 for unlimited laundry. Internet usage varies by personal choices - I do a blog so I need it - spent about $1000 on first world cruise. All in all (and adding some money for drinks), I expect my total to be under $8000. So, like Go-Bucks!, you need to add up what benefits you get from the cruise line and your TA and what else you expect to need/want.

I was not aware Oceania included all those things.

Yes, they include:

~choice of 36 shore excursions/person (value up to $199 each), a beverage package or $3,600 OBC/person

~first class r/t airfare

~pre-paid gratuities, value depends on category of cabin

~unlimited onboard medical care (unable to put a monetary value on this, but a great perk)

~unlimited internet

~unlimited laundry

~5 shoreside events

~visa package (5 for our cruise)

~luggage delivery service, to and from cruise for 2, 50# pieces

~1 pre-cruise luxury hotel stay

~roundtrip transfers

We also got $230/pp spa credit and OBC ($3,500 each). The value is approximately $19-23K per person for a 180 day cruise. Maybe more with medical services. These are offered to all passengers; not just those in high level suites. We were happy that these were included so we didn't have to arrange for them ourselves. If your RTW cruise is shorter than 180 days then obviously the cost/value of these items would be less.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Go-Bucks-

Did you do an Oceania to Hal or Oceania to Crystal comparison?

I like the idea of Oceania but I wish they had segments less than 180 days.

I compared:

Oceania has these segments on the 2019 World Cruise: New York to Los Angeles, 19 nights; Los Angeles to Sydney, 33 nights; Sydney to Tokyo, 26 nights; Tokyo to Singapore, 26 nights; Singapore to Dubai, 18 nights; Dubai to Rome, 22 nights; Rome to London, 15 nights; London to Miami, 21 nights.