Community Contest - April 10 - Do you Meet & Mingle?

Community Contests

Weekly Contest

Have fun with weekly contests.  Win cool Cruise Critic prizes.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:05 AM.
Chilliwack BC
697 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by livetothefullest55
I love meeting new people at dinner and on excursions. I always meet awesome people! I have never been to a meet and mingle. This July on Oasis will be my first. I'm new to cc and feel I would enjoy this. We met our 25 minimum, but I have no idea what the next step is. Someone posted we needed a host. I would like to be involved, but have no idea where too start with organization.
--------------------------------------------------------------

You volunteer on your roll call. Make a list of CC member names and post it for the group. You can do a cabin-crawl by asking members to volunteer their cabin to show (keep track of which cabins and then pick one from each category), making a map of cabin-route and decide when this would be best to do (usually after M&G). You can ask members who wants to join a slot pull tournament. Post that list and when it will happen (contact RC ship representative to establish this). I have purchased little gifts for a group of over 60 ppl on a Hawaii trip (lanyards & magnets with the ship/sail date/destination) Our group actually gave ourselves a name....pineapple express.
I have been to, and organized, many M&G, ranging between 35-120 ppl. I have made a few friends that keep in touch (I'm in Canada...their in San Diego, Philadelphia, Milan, New Zealand) And, I've also run into a few cruisers from past cruises that were on a future cruise....some from M& G, some from CC, some just from the sailing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"carry me on the waves to the lands I've never been,"
"carry me on the waves to the lands I've never seen."
"sail away, sail away, sail away "

-----------------------------------------------
Pacific Princess Pacific Coastal Sept '01 "family teaser cruise"

Radiance OTS Panama Canal Apr '06 "25th anniversary"

Volendam Alaska Sept '06 "dad's surprise"

Crown Princess Southern Caribbean Apr '07 "fun in the sun"

Brilliance Of OTS Partial Panama Mar '08 "here we go again"

Vision OTS Mexico Dec '08 "family affair, joining sis on her redneck honeymoon"

Radiance OTS Alaska May '14 "R&R with hubby"

Grand Princess Hawaii Oct '14 "Aloha Sea Days Rejoice"

Liberty OTS Bermuda May '15 "NY NY 1st-timers"

Explorer OTS Coastal Sept '16"cruise withdrawl, must book this"

Oasis OTS Eastern/Western Caribbean B2B April '17"Bro's join us for their 1st Real Cruise"

Explorer OTS 4-day BC Getaway May '17 "R&R after family cruise"
5 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Found cruise critic earlier this year although I have been cruising for decades. Did my first meet and mingle on a ship last week. Lots of fun but wish more people would come...it was a great way to break the ice and have some beach friends
75 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Going on another cruise this December and am organizing the meet and greet. Truly looking forward to meeting everyone and participating in the slot pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Amish Country, Pennsylvania
11 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
We’re taking our first cruise in July and I think it’s been great talking with others on our role call! Hoping to get enough for our meet & mingle and hoping to find some of them on board!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Atlanta, Ga
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
I do the meet and mingle on all cruises except in the mediterranean (due to being in port almost every day). I'm a chatty cathy and you'll see me making friends at bars, the blackjack table, and anywhere on board!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jewel of the Seas -- August 2018
Navigator of the Seas -- December 2018
----------------------------------------------------------------
Independence of the Seas -- January 2018
Freedom of the Seas -- July 2017
Oasis of the Seas -- December 2016
Liberty of the Seas -- August 2016
Independence of the Seas -- March 2015
Oasis of the Seas -- June 2014
Brilliance of the Seas -- December 2013
Allure of the Seas -- December 2012
Serenade of the Seas -- November 2008
Mariner of the Seas -- April 2007
Freedom of the Seas -- November 2006
Adventure of the Seas -- November 2005
Mariner of the Seas -- November 2004
Mariner of the Seas -- November 2003
Voyager of the Seas -- March 2002
Northern California
420 Posts
Joined May 2009
Yes, Meet & Mingle is fantastic. A great way to meet new people and have some fun. This will be my third.

17 days to go!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laura

Freedom Of The Seas 10/09
Carnival Paradise 7/06
Carnival Splendor 9/12
Disney Dream, 10/2013
Carrnival Valor 10/2014
Caledonia, ON Canada
467 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Not sure if the 'contest' is still going but we like to attend the meet and mingle or connections party. There was not one the very first time we cruised in 2010, but have had a 'party' every cruise since. When the roll call is really active (such as when we sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette around the British Isles in 2016) we get the feeling that we have all ready met everyone pre cruise! Like to meet up on deck at Sail Away as well as pre cruise if possible.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:

Celebrity Infinity Sept 2018 cruising West through the Panama Canal

Previous Cruises:
Celebrity Mercury Alaska Sept 2010
Celebrity Silhouette Caribbean Dec 2011
Celebrity Century Alaska Sept 2013
Celebrity Solstice Repositioning, we travelled to Hawaii, Sept 2014
Celebrity Refection Caribbean Dec 2015; Celebrity Silhouette British Isles 2016 (and the Silhouetters!)
Celebrity Summit Celebrating Fireworks and more! June 2017
Florida
28 Posts
Joined May 2013
We have attended a couple of CC Meet and Mingles, but honestly, no one mingles. There seem to be a few people who seek each other out, based on prior communications on the Roll Call forum, but beyond that, the meetings are awkward and unorganized. It might be more beneficial and enjoyable, if someone actually took charge of the meeting and facilitated a discussion on relevant topics.

We tend to spend most of our time as a couple while cruising, but we do enjoy meeting interesting people and are currently acquainted with several couples that we have met throughout the years on board cruise ships. Being introverts, we are not likely to draw attention to ourselves, but we do like one on one conversations with other couples. It is fairly easy to find common ground with most people when you make yourself accessible and keep an open mind. After that, it is all about repetition through common activities.

I think common interests draw folks together and CC does that successfully, but the Meet and Mingles seem anti-climatic to all the hype prior to a cruise. We would love to see that session become more inviting and purposeful. Maybe if CC suggested it, a leader might step up within each Roll Call to organize and facilitate the meeting. Sometimes, people just need a little encouragement to step up.