So is Coxen Hole Still open?

nealstuber

If you scrolled down a little you would have seen a post from yesterday about the cruise ship crash, Some info and links there. As for Coxen Hole being open? Yes, Coxen Hole is fine, If a ship runs aground in South Florida I do not think they close Miami or Ft Lauderdale. As for the NCL Port of Roatan dock, The Armonia is still there and all other ships to the port have been cancelled for at least this week

If you scrolled down a little you would have seen a post from yesterday about the cruise ship crash, Some info and links there. As for Coxen Hole being open? Yes, Coxen Hole is fine, If a ship runs aground in South Florida I do not think they close Miami or Ft Lauderdale. As for the NCL Port of Roatan dock, The Armonia is still there and all other ships to the port have been cancelled for at least this week

Unlike the other ports you cite, Coxen is a single berth dock. To me it seems that ships larger than Armonia might not be able to tie up and might need to be concerned about debris under water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unlike the other ports you cite, Coxen is a single berth dock. To me it seems that ships larger than Armonia might not be able to tie up and might need to be concerned about debris under water.

I did not cite other ports, I was pointing out that Coxen Hole is a town, why would a town close due to a cruise ship incident. Of course there will be concern about debris and structural integrity of what if there but this happened just about 24 hours ago, The main concern is the MSC ship and its passengers, As I mentioned, all ships to that port have been cancelled at least through the week, who knows what will happen after engineers, divers, survey and environmental people have a look

I did not cite other ports, I was pointing out that Coxen Hole is a town, why would a town close due to a cruise ship incident. Of course there will be concern about debris and structural integrity of what if there but this happened just about 24 hours ago, The main concern is the MSC ship and its passengers, As I mentioned, all ships to that port have been cancelled at least through the week, who knows what will happen after engineers, divers, survey and environmental people have a look

I guess this is a little misunderstanding. I was asking about the port at Coxen, not the entire town. And assumed since cruise liners don’t usually make their way down the streets of Miami or Ft Lauderdale that’s what you were talking about as well.

Before I created this thread, I did scroll down to see if the topic has been covered, I did not see it.

We are scheduled to port in Coxen Hole on RCI April 25. Looking for some conversation and educated guesses here...

Assuming the structural damage is such that ships are not able/allowed to dock at the pier for a while, what are your (whoever has knowledge or experience with it) thoughts about tendering into Coxen Hole? Are tender vendors readily available? Or would it take RCI a while to get that in place? Is anchoring/tendering possible in that location at all? (Can't imagine why it wouldn't be, but I have no knowledge either way.)

Additionally, who controls what ships port at Mahogony Bay? I believe CCL built the port, but is it actually "owned/controlled" by the town or a port authority? Could an RCI ship port there if necessary, or would CCL have to "allow" it? Has something similar with a competitor exercising philanthropy for the local economy happened before? (I can't think of any other business reason CCL would allow it otherwise, if they control it.)

Hoping that's NOT the case once they assess the damage, but as you can imagine, with 10 days to cruise, I'm curious as to the possibilities.

It's clear there are lots of unknowns right now. Thanks for any thoughts offered.

Likely within a few days there will be a better idea of what to expect as far as what damage is there and what time frame to expect for repairs. Ships have tendered the port for years and continue to tender these days when there are numerous ships in port however I do not know if anything was damaged or disrupted that would now prevent tendering, The Armonia left early this AM and the rest of this weeks ships are cancelled.

Mahogany Bay is Controlled by CCL , only has 2 berths, no tendering, Tricky backing in to tie up, likely no way non CCL would be invited

I’m seeing on FB that Royal will not be docking Allure (and maybe others?) in Roatan at all “this season”. (Not sure exactly what that means... all summer? I’m scheduled to go on Allure in June and haven’t received word directly from Royal yet, however.

It is official, no Allure in Roatan. Press release attached. Following this story since we are scheduled to be there in May, on the Liberty.

I’m seeing on FB that Royal will not be docking Allure (and maybe others?) in Roatan at all “this season”. (Not sure exactly what that means... all summer? I’m scheduled to go on Allure in June and haven’t received word directly from Royal yet, however.

As I mentioned, all ships to that port have been cancelled at least through the week,

so my visit on Liberty of the Seas slated for this Wednesday will not happen? I have not been notified by Royal Caribbean and actually Roatan is our favorite island so not stopping there will be an extreme let down. No way to share Carnival's pier? I notice only one ship at that pier on the:( 25th so we'd fit LOL

NCL Jade is in port in Coxen Hole today, As for Mahogany Bay and CCL, it was not too many years ago before more dredging the Mahogany Bay port was often closed due to winds and the Port Of Roatan was not real keen on Carnival using their port. Guess it is Karma

NCL Jade is in port in Coxen Hole today, As for Mahogany Bay and CCL, it was not too many years ago before more dredging the Mahogany Bay port was often closed due to winds and the Port Of Roatan was not real keen on Carnival using their port. Guess it is Karma

Jade is tendering, I guess?

and sorry for saying this Wednesday, it is next Wednesday, the 25th. I am guessing in the next few days we'll hear more...going to be extremely sad if we miss Roatan. I'll be happy to take a tender over if need be, just don't want it cancelled :(

This is from Victor Bodden Tours FB page

MONDAY 04/16/18:

Quick note for upcoming cruisers on NCL... The JADE has docked this morning (a little rain, so a bit delayed), but nice to see that they will be able to DOCK after last week!! Although no official word yet from the Port or Royal Caribbe3an...In my opinion, this is a good sign!!!

Now, off to find some sunshine...

Victor @ boddentours.com

30712761_10156362746054747_7135705493602828288_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6b44621d85c3d4a0b2e3694bf36e6b74&oe=5B6B7B5A

We will be on the Getaway next week and are scheduled in Roatan on the 26th. I understand the Getaway is too large to dock so unless NCL works something out with tendering I am afraid we might miss out....We love Roatan and it is the reason we booked this itinerary again.

We've been in Roatan several times with an NCL ship and I've only ever seen them tender.

NCL Has docked more often than not the past few years, They certainly tender when too many ships are in port but Docking has been the norm for a while now