Best Greece Only Cruise

Cruiseoholic000

I am sorry if this is in the wrong area but am having trouble searching cruise critic as of late.

I am thinking of going on a Greece only cruise September 2019. I have done some research and Celestyal Cruises and Variety Cruises came up. Any other line to consider? What are the not to miss stops? The cost of excursions, expensive or can you go own and save. Any insight and input would be appreciated.

I am sorry if this is in the wrong area but am having trouble searching cruise critic as of late.

I am thinking of going on a Greece only cruise September 2019. I have done some research and Celestyal Cruises and Variety Cruises came up. Any other line to consider? What are the not to miss stops? The cost of excursions, expensive or can you go own and save. Any insight and input would be appreciated.

I remember reading on a thread here (can't remember the thread's location) but it said that Windstar had a cruise too a couple of the Greek islands. I wish some of the smaller ships of either RCL or Carnival had a 'Greek Islands only' cruise. It's always been on my sister's 'bucket list' ever since a friend went there a few years ago.

Mac

Thank you for the great article. Windstar looks like a good option, as well but more expensive than the other two companies. However, excursions are expensive. For excursions can you do it on your own; with local tour companies, taxi etc cheaper?

Just got an email from Travel Savvy and it had this article. Hope it helps you out

How to Travel to the Greek Islands

Thank you for the great article. Windstar looks like a good option, as well but more expensive than the other two companies. However, excursions are expensive. For excursions can you do it on your own; with local tour companies, taxi etc cheaper?

You may be able to do private excursions cheaper. One way to do that is to create a Roll Call for your particular sailing and put tour groups of 4 or more together with fellow pax. My current experience for an Australia cruise I'll be on is that it doesn't work well if only two people. Cheaper to use the ship's tours.

You mentioned taxis and, yes, you can always grab one and negotiate a price for a certain amount of time to be shown the island.

My suggestion is to decide on your itinerary and then search this forum for your ports of call. You'll get lots of ideas and if nothing pops up, can always start a new thread asking for information on a particular island.

• 3 months later...

Late to reply, but: All of the above are complicated or expensive. We are on the Celestyal Crystal for 7 nights next month, gorgeous itinerary among the islands, can't wait. Have traveled Greece/the isles 5-6 times before. Pretty much nothing at all on CC, v. little on Trip Advisor, re: reviews, just crazy. For this small cruise line, there IS NO ROLL CALL. Have been personally in touch with recent cruisers via circuitous online paths. They all loved it. Jump for it! (Feel free to PM me if you wish.)

We have done our own thing a few times. Packed a carry on, flew into Athens, and then island hopped down to Crete. Also did the car rental thing on the mainland. Not for everyone but we very much preferred island hopping on our own compared to the few Med cruises that we have enjoyed. We got to choose when, where, and for how long we stopped at each island. We have done this several times. It is one of our favorite vacations. We are planning to do the same in the Ionian islands next.