Transporation from Civitavechhia Port to Vatican

DreneeH

Arriving via Symphony of the Seas on May 31st. What's the best way to get from port to Vatican?

Also, between Vatican and Colosseum - is it within walking distance or will transportation be needed and what is the best way and how long will that take?

thank you so very much for the information!!

The "best" would be in a limo sipping prossecco...at least to us. What does "best" mean to you?

A little reading around the board would find train will likely be the most efficient way to get from port to Vatican. You can walk from the Vatican to the Colosseum, but it takes time (check Google Maps). But I suspect time is limited, so a taxi will likely be the most efficient.

Take the train from Civitavecchia to the Vatican -- get off at the Roma San Pietro stop and walk to the Vatican from there.

Take a taxi between the Vatican and the Colosseum -- should be 8-10 euro.

Finally, take the metro from Colosseo stop (right across from the Colosseum) to Termini -- Rome's main train station to get the train back to Civitavecchia. (This is backtracking a bit but if you don't take the train from Termini, it's starting point, you are unlikely to get a seat during the tourist season....)

If you wanted to NOT backtrack, you'd take the metro in the opposite direction to Pyramide station, then get off and go to the adjacent train station to catch the train back to Civitavecchia.

Take the train from Civitavecchia to the Vatican -- get off at the Roma San Pietro stop and walk to the Vatican from there.

Take a taxi between the Vatican and the Colosseum -- should be 8-10 euro.

Finally, take the metro from Colosseo stop (right across from the Colosseum) to Termini -- Rome's main train station to get the train back to Civitavecchia. (This is backtracking a bit but if you don't take the train from Termini, it's starting point, you are unlikely to get a seat during the tourist season....)

If you wanted to NOT backtrack, you'd take the metro in the opposite direction to Pyramide station, then get off and go to the adjacent train station to catch the train back to Civitavecchia.

I too will be arriving via crusie ship at the end of May and was wondering if it is faster to go via train instead of the cruise line transfer? I understand a train would be faster than a bus, but by the time we get to the train station and on the train, will it still be a faster way to travel from port to the Vatican?

I too will be arriving via crusie ship at the end of May and was wondering if it is faster to go via train instead of the cruise line transfer? I understand a train would be faster than a bus, but by the time we get to the train station and on the train, will it still be a faster way to travel from port to the Vatican?

A couple of years ago I would've said an unqualified yes -- but now that there is an additional step to go through at the port (having moved the drop-off point further from the train station), it's likely quicker to take the transfer if all things are equal.

However:

Consider that the ship's transfer may not actually leave for Rome until an hour or so after the ship docks, whereas you might be able to start out half an hour or more ahead of that if you're striking out on your own.

Also, where does the ship transfer drop you? If that's where you want to go on your first stop, then it might still be faster. But if you'll still have to get to another point in Rome after the transfer, you might get there faster via the train (because you have several choices which stop to get off at, one of which might be closer to where you want to be).