Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:01 AM.
Central Coast Australia
3,660 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
The question Windsor needs to ask is "Is this cruise substantially the cruise I booked" or "Has this cruise substantially changed". If the answer is the latter, which seems to be the case from Windsor's comment, then he/she ("they") needs to send an email letter to Princess stating the cruise they had bought is significantly different to the one now offered and what does Princess propose to offer as compensation. If they are prepared to accept a refund, then they should suggest that to Princess. They should also put a time limit on Princess for a response.

If they don't get an amicable response or any response, then they need to go to the Office of Fair Trading as it would seem that this cruise is no longer the cruise they bargained on.

Cheers
Di
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pinnacle Club
Email: ibackallblacks@gmail.com

Where Next:
Pacific Explorer 31 August 2018 - Pacific Islands - 8 nights
Pacific Explorer - 11 September 2018 - Pacific Islands 10 nights
Phuket - The Village Coconut Island Resort - 3 November 2018 - 11 nights
Radiance of the Seas - 11 December 2018 - New Zealand 10 nights
Rarotonga - Te Vakaroa Villas - 21 December 2018 - 14 nights
Radiance of the Seas 5 March 2019 - New Zealand - 10 nights b2b with
Explorer of the Seas 17 March 2019 - Pacific Islands - 12 nights b2b with
Explorer of the Seas - 29 March 2019 - Sydney to Singapore - 14 nights b2b with
Explorer of the Seas - 13 April 2019 - Singapore to Dubai - 11 nights b2b with
Explorer of the Seas - 24 April 2019 - Dubai to Barcelona - 13 nights b2b with
Explorer of the Seas - 7 May 2019 - Barcelona to Southampton - 7 nights
Rhapsody of the Seas - 18 May 2019 - Venice to Venice - 7 nights
Jewel of the Seas - 29 May 2019 - Greek Islands - 9 nights
Jewel of the Seas - 12 June 2019 - Nice - 4 nights
Nelson Bay
1,316 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by rkmw
if people use an FCC and find out before final payment is due they can cancel out for any reason
The problem is that the itinerary changes have been made after final payment date.
Central Coast Australia
3,660 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by By The Bay
The problem is that the itinerary changes have been made after final payment date.
Final payment is irrelevant to my above comment - which I think was posted momentarily before yours.

Cheers
Di
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pinnacle Club

Where Next:
Came from the land above to the Land Downunder
6,615 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by Dizziedi
The question Windsor needs to ask is "Is this cruise substantially the cruise I booked" or "Has this cruise substantially changed". If the answer is the latter, which seems to be the case from Windsor's comment, then he/she ("they") needs to send an email letter to Princess stating the cruise they had bought is significantly different to the one now offered and what does Princess propose to offer as compensation. If they are prepared to accept a refund, then they should suggest that to Princess. They should also put a time limit on Princess for a response.

If they don't get an amicable response or any response, then they need to go to the Office of Fair Trading as it would seem that this cruise is no longer the cruise they bargained on.

Cheers
Di
Of course before I threaded this I e-mailed Princess direct and asked for their input but as yet have not had an acknowledgement nor a reply. I have also put this non the main Princess site
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 7; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 8; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1,
1,533 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
All passengers on affected itineraries are receiving obc as compensation. Problem is, after making several calls to them on behalf of unhappy clients, they are pulling out the T&Cs and stating that they reserve the right to change the itineraries at any time. Plus they haven't been particularly forthcoming with the email notifications regarding the changes. Really, they should cancel a cruise, put her in dry dock and get it fixed ASAP. She's meant to be doing the World Cruise next year. They need to get it sorted properly!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

SHIPS I'VE SAILED ON...
1983 - ORIANA - SOUTH PACIFIC
1985 - ORIANA - SINGAPORE TO FREMANTLE
1989 - CANBERRA - WORLD CRUISE
2011 - PACIFIC SUN - SOUTH PACIFIC
2011 - PACIFIC PEARL - NEW ZEALAND
2012 - CARNIVAL SPIRIT - HONOLULU TO SYDNEY
2013 - RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS - SOUTH PACIFIC
2014 - SEA PRINCESS - BRISBANE TO SYDNEY
2014 - CARNIVAL LEGEND - SHORT CRUISE
2014 - MARINER OF THE SEAS - SINGAPORE TO SINGAPORE
2015 - PACIFIC JEWEL - CORAL COAST DISCOVERY
2015 - PACIFIC EDEN - SHORT CRUISE
2016 - EXPLORER OF THE SEAS - NEW ZEALAND
2017 - RADIANCE OF THE SEAS - QUEENSLAND COAST
2018 - OVATION OF THE SEAS - TASMANIA

SHIPS I'VE INSPECTED...
2013 - CELEBRITY SOLSTICE
2013 - VOYAGER OF THE SEAS
2014 - DIAMOND PRINCESS
2014 - RADIANCE OF THE SEAS
2014 - QUEEN MARY 2
2014 - COSTA DELIZIOSA
2014 - VOLENDAM
2015 - CELEBRITY SOLSTICE
2015 - EXPLORER OF THE SEAS
Geelong - Australia
2,999 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Three (3) days in Singapore could well be to do some meaningful repairs to the mechanical problem .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SUN PRINCESS - Sydney - South Pacific - Sydney . 10/2010
COSTA CLASSICA - Hong Kong - Japan - Shanghai . 03/2010

OCEAN PRINCESS. Rome - Greek Islands - Athens - Venice . 09/2011
SEA PRINCESS. Sydney - Pacific Crossing - San Francisco. 04/2012
OCEAN PRINCESS. Rome - Singapore. 10/2012
RSSC VOYAGER . Bali - Melbourne. 12/2012
REGATTA . Miami - San Francisco . 04/2013
PRINSENDAM. Rome - Fort Lauderdale. 11/2013
QUEEN MARY II Fremantle - Sydney 02/2014
ARANUI III - Marquesas Islands - 06/2014
STAR PRIDE . Piraeus - Greek islands - Istanbul . 08/2015
GOLDEN PRINCESS . Tasmania . 01/2016
INSIGNIA . Sydney - Los Angeles . 05/2016
GOLDEN PRINCESS . Melbourne - Auckland 03/2017
SUN PRINCESS New Caledonia & Vanuatu 06/2017
WIND SURF Sicilian Splendours 10/2017
REGATTA . San Francisco - Alaska - Vancouver 05/2018
L " AUSTRAL Broome - Darwin . 07/2018

Central Coast Australia
3,660 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Royalty X
All passengers on affected itineraries are receiving obc as compensation. Problem is, after making several calls to them on behalf of unhappy clients, they are pulling out the T&Cs and stating that they reserve the right to change the itineraries at any time. Plus they haven't been particularly forthcoming with the email notifications regarding the changes. Really, they should cancel a cruise, put her in dry dock and get it fixed ASAP. She's meant to be doing the World Cruise next year. They need to get it sorted properly!
Yes they can change a cruise itinerary within reason but it seems in this case they may well have gone "beyond" reasonable.

Cheers
Di
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pinnacle Club

Where Next:
Nelson Bay
1,316 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by kuldalai
Three (3) days in Singapore could well be to do some meaningful repairs to the mechanical problem .
Let's hope that is what happens.
Sydney, Australia
14,767 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by Royalty X
I'm glad you confirmed that. As posted earlier, I expected there to be that.

However, given the breadth of the reported changes, it would still be reasonable to allow people to cancel without penalty. Unfortunately it is true what they have in the terms and conditions so they have the law on their side, which means Fair trading can't do much except if Princess volunteer for "goodwill"... doesn't make it right though.
1,533 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by The_Big_M
I'm glad you confirmed that. As posted earlier, I expected there to be that.

However, given the breadth of the reported changes, it would still be reasonable to allow people to cancel without penalty. Unfortunately it is true what they have in the terms and conditions so they have the law on their side, which means Fair trading can't do much except if Princess volunteer for "goodwill"... doesn't make it right though.
I completely agree with you. If I'd chosen an itinerary due to a particular port, I'd be so angry about it too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

SHIPS I'VE SAILED ON...
1983 - ORIANA - SOUTH PACIFIC
1985 - ORIANA - SINGAPORE TO FREMANTLE
1989 - CANBERRA - WORLD CRUISE
2011 - PACIFIC SUN - SOUTH PACIFIC
2011 - PACIFIC PEARL - NEW ZEALAND
2012 - CARNIVAL SPIRIT - HONOLULU TO SYDNEY
2013 - RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS - SOUTH PACIFIC
2014 - SEA PRINCESS - BRISBANE TO SYDNEY
2014 - CARNIVAL LEGEND - SHORT CRUISE
2014 - MARINER OF THE SEAS - SINGAPORE TO SINGAPORE
2015 - PACIFIC JEWEL - CORAL COAST DISCOVERY
2015 - PACIFIC EDEN - SHORT CRUISE
2016 - EXPLORER OF THE SEAS - NEW ZEALAND
2017 - RADIANCE OF THE SEAS - QUEENSLAND COAST
2018 - OVATION OF THE SEAS - TASMANIA

SHIPS I'VE INSPECTED...
2013 - CELEBRITY SOLSTICE
2013 - VOYAGER OF THE SEAS
2014 - DIAMOND PRINCESS
2014 - RADIANCE OF THE SEAS
2014 - QUEEN MARY 2
2014 - COSTA DELIZIOSA
2014 - VOLENDAM
2015 - CELEBRITY SOLSTICE
2015 - EXPLORER OF THE SEAS
Gold Coast
11,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by windsor26
Of course before I threaded this I e-mailed Princess direct and asked for their input but as yet have not had an acknowledgement nor a reply. I have also put this non the main Princess site
You might like to phone Office of Fair Trading for advice.

Their advice to me was to put my complaint to the company in writing, by registered mail. As a result I got an immediate phone call, with a satisfactory result, after months of non negotiation.

As Dizziedi said, the test is "reasonableness". No ordinary person would consider this new changed itinerary reasonable. It is not what you bought!

I agree being after final payment is irrelevant, in this case.

Might also help to get some bad publicity for Princess's actions and lack of customer service in the Press.

Good Luck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Canberra Australia
44,897 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by MMDown Under
You might like to phone Office of Fair Trading for advice.

Their advice to me was to put my complaint to the company in writing, by registered mail. As a result I got an immediate phone call, with a satisfactory result, after months of non negotiation.

As Dizziedi said, the test is "reasonableness". No ordinary person would consider this new changed itinerary reasonable. It is not what you bought!

I agree being after final payment is irrelevant, in this case.

Might also help to get some bad publicity for Princess's actions and lack of customer service in the Press.

Good Luck.
Seems like the coarse of action is to put up with the changes and the obc they offered or to cancel via the method used by MMDown Under and suggested by Dizzdi. personally, I would try the later as the cruise that you booked has been changed significantly. I wish you good luck Wondsor26.
Orewa , Auckland , N.Z.
19,724 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
I am absolutely horrified by Princess's actions over all of this. The cheek of taking on passengers and holding them in Singapore for 3 days while the ship is in the "garage" for repairs?

OUTRAGEOUS.

If passengers wanted 3 days in Singapore they would have booked a cruise and added on a pre/post cruise stay.

With such a change to the itinerary, anyone who wants to cancel, as they are not getting what was offered at booking , should be refunded in full. Also any non refundable deposit held by the agents should be refunded in full and if need be the agents can chase Princess for it.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DAVID

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

*Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask
Came from the land above to the Land Downunder
6,615 Posts
Joined May 2008
I am glad MMdownunder goy the result required
I will still go on the cruise as it was booked in order that DH would not have to cook and shop etc as I will be incapacitated from hand surgery for 6 weeks.
I am cross that I picked this cruise when at the time I could have had a choice of others now it is really too late
Apart from using Singapore as a garaqe and sticking us in one of the most expensive ports for 3 days they are also hoping that in the 6t sea days we will spend the money given.
I hope the DC will have a good programme of extra daytime FREE entertainment there are only so many jewellery and fine art seminars and etc you would want to attend
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

yafm11 at tpg.com.au

Airtours: Sundream 4; Sunbird 1; MV Isabella Nile cruise; Thompsons 1; P&O UK 3; MV Victoria Yangtze cruise; P&O Australia 7; MV Royal Star Kenya; RCI Legend/Seas 2; Rhapsody/Seas 2; Voyager/Seas 2; Celebrity Infinity 1; MV Murray Princess river cruise; HAL Oosterdam 1; Carnival Legend 2; Carnival Spirit 1; Princess cruises Sun Princess 8; Dawn Princess 3; Diamond Princess 3; Grand Princess 3; Island Princess 2; Old Royal Princess 2; Sea Princess 2; Emerald Princess 4; Golden Princess 1,
Sydney, Australia
8,770 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Have you spent much time in Singapore in the past, Windsor26?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Aug 2018 - Crystal Symphony - Panama Canal from San Francisco to New York
Mar 2018 - Diamond Princess - Sydney to Yokohama
Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
cootamundra nsw
7,046 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by windsor26
I am glad MMdownunder goy the result required
I will still go on the cruise as it was booked in order that DH would not have to cook and shop etc as I will be incapacitated from hand surgery for 6 weeks.
I am cross that I picked this cruise when at the time I could have had a choice of others now it is really too late
Apart from using Singapore as a garaqe and sticking us in one of the most expensive ports for 3 days they are also hoping that in the 6t sea days we will spend the money given.
I hope the DC will have a good programme of extra daytime FREE entertainment there are only so many jewellery and fine art seminars and etc you would want to attend
i have a 2013-14 princess book and on page 63 under ship & itinerary changes it states

we will notifiy you of any changes as soon as we can. where we cancel a cruise or make a significant change to your ports in your itinerary prior to your departure you will have the choice of

1. the new itinerary
2. an alternative cruise of a comparable standard if available or
3. cancelling the cruise for a full refund

it goes on to say also if the cruise has commenced and they change the itinerary for any reason they dont have to give compensation

i would think that your option would be number 2
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sydney, Australia
8,770 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
It's also clause 28 of the Booking & Passage Conditions online.

It qualifies "significant change" with

"For the purposes of this clause, 'significant change' means a change to the city of departure or disembarkation, or to the majority (by number) of the other ports in your itinerary."

So they might have wiggle room there, unfortunately.

Makes you wonder about the other ships in that class too. Are they likely to develop similar problems? We're booked on Sun Princess for Christmas.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Aug 2018 - Crystal Symphony - Panama Canal from San Francisco to New York
Mar 2018 - Diamond Princess - Sydney to Yokohama
Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
cootamundra nsw
7,046 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by OzKiwiJJ
It's also clause 28 of the Booking & Passage Conditions online.

It qualifies "significant change" with

"For the purposes of this clause, 'significant change' means a change to the city of departure or disembarkation, or to the majority (by number) of the other ports in your itinerary."......it still says the other ports getting changed

So they might have wiggle room there, unfortunately.

Makes you wonder about the other ships in that class too. Are they likely to develop similar problems? We're booked on Sun Princess for Christmas.
still be worth a phone call to Fair Trading and see what they say
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Orewa , Auckland , N.Z.
19,724 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Any ship can break down. Aurora embarked a full ship load of passengers and supplies for a World Cruise from Southampton one year and only got as far as the Isle of Wight. Passengers stayed on board for 3 days and then the entire cruise was cancelled and they were all sent home....(very well compensated).... and the supplies off loaded , and sent to local charities.The ship then went to Germany for a complete engine replacement. A few years later she broke down again, this time on her World Cruise and spent 6 days in Auckland while spares were sent out and repairs carried out.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DAVID

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

*Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask