Norwegian just cut short the March 3 PoA Cruise!!

canadian-nurse

I just received a letter from NCL saying that our cruise from March 3-10 is being cut short by one day and the whole itinerary is messed up. I am furious. This is very last minute- half of our party is already on their way to Hawaii and we are leaving in the morning. All of our excursions, which are all with the ship, are messed up now. Every single one! They are putting us up in a Hilton hotel to make up for the night and are giving us a 25% future cruise credit. After this, we never want to sail with NCL again. This cruise was over $5600CDN for an inside cabin- that takes a long time to save. Has anyone else ever had this experience before?

I jut posted the same thing 5 minutes ago and can't find my post ... on our letter it says either 1 night prorated back to us on our credit card OR 25 % on future cruise credit .. Did you also got those offer or just the 25% FC

We got the same thing. I don't understand how they can do this so late. They are literally inconveniencing thousands of people!! Dry docks are scheduled months in advance. I think there must be something that they are not telling us!!

yep same feeling ... Dont like it. It does say that " it won't impact our safety " ... Would like to know more to feel more secure

We got the same thing. I don't understand how they can do this so late. They are literally inconveniencing thousands of people!! Dry docks are scheduled months in advance. I think there must be something that they are not telling us!!

Not to sound like Captain Obvious BUT there must be something wrong that requires the ship staying in port that day but not bad enough to cancel the whole cruise.

Although it won't be of any comfort to you one has to remember these vessels are running 365 days a a year. Things are bound to happen. Hope it turns out that you have a great vacation and can make the best of it.

I don't understand how they can do this so late.

Guest Contract...

© Itinerary Deviation: The Guest agrees that the Carrier has the sole discretion and liberty to direct themovements of the vessel, including the rights to: proceed without pilots and tow, and assist other vesselsin all situations; deviate from the purchased voyage or the normal course for any purpose, including,without limitation, in the interest of Guests or of the vessel, or to save life or property; put in at anyunscheduled or unadvertised port; cancel any scheduled call at any port for any reason and at any timebefore, during or after sailing of the vessel; omit, advance or delay landing at any scheduled or advertisedport; return to port of embarkation or to any port previously visited if the Carrier deems it prudent to do so;substitute another vessel or port(s) of call without prior notice and without incurring any liability to theGuest on account thereof for any loss, damage or delay whatsoever, whether consequential or otherwise.

...a long-winded way of saying "...we can do that...".:(

I just received a letter from NCL saying that our cruise from March 3-10 is being cut short by one day and the whole itinerary is messed up. I am furious. This is very last minute- half of our party is already on their way to Hawaii and we are leaving in the morning. All of our excursions, which are all with the ship, are messed up now. Every single one! They are putting us up in a Hilton hotel to make up for the night and are giving us a 25% future cruise credit. After this, we never want to sail with NCL again. This cruise was over $5600CDN for an inside cabin- that takes a long time to save. Has anyone else ever had this experience before?

Has anyone had this experience? If you've been cruising long enough, probably it's happened. It doesn't matter which cruise line you choose. Something can happen that requires altering an itinerary. So sorry your vacation was affected.

Things can happen anytime. I had a mechanical issue come up mid cruise and we missed a port of call--no big deal.

Since your excursions were booked through, THEY will get it all straightened out. If you have excursions purchased for your missed port of call-- the cost of those will be refunded either to your credit card or your on board ship account.

I too just received the letter regarding the cruise bight cut short 1 day. This SUCKS. After a year of planning of this much awaited cruise and a long travel from NY, the ship goes to dry dock for a day. I read on another post that the NCL has done the same thing on the March 11 cruise.

Does anyone know what NCL will give in return of 25% off the next cruise? I would rather the money up front then traveling on NCL again.

Maybe one night in Hawaii PROBABLY WITH A WINDOW AND VIEW might be worth more than a night in an inside cabin. Just sayin.

I am sure NCL will put you up in a very very nice hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can someone post the exact wording of the email? There is never a "one day" drydocking, so unless she is in drydock right now, that's not what's happening. There may be a repair that is mandated by USCG or class to be fixed "at earliest possible opportunity" that happened recently, and this was the first time slot where the parts or manpower were available. If someone can post the email, it may help me understand what is actually being done.

But, as others have said, ships break things, and they need to be fixed, and in many cases it is the law that it needs to be fixed asap or the ship won't be allowed to sail at all.

Yes it happened to me on an epic cruise after refurb, cut by a day and I kept telling my PCC but they didn’t believe me. You’re lucky they’ve given you a hotel and a 25% credit. We got a small obc, I lost money on moving the hotel and had to change flights too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our friends leave on Saturday sailing POA so they just missed this change. They are the same friends we planned a trip in October that NCL canceled the cruise. That "hot mess" for us still does not have our plane ticket issue resolved. In our case, NCL decided to kick us off and book the ship for a charter.

Is it something wrong with the ship or an overnight charter booked? It seems strange that two weeks in a row the ship will miss the last day.

For those of you that want to see the exact wording:

"Due to it's regulatory compliance requirements, Pride of America must undergo an unscheduled technical dry dock and the ship's March 3rd itinerary is being modified as a result. The necessary maintenance that will be conducted during this dry dock will in no way impact the safe operation of the vessel during your cruise.

The cruise is changing from a 7 day to a 6 day voyage, and the ship will now call on Kahului, Maui on March 4th from 8am - 6pm instead of staying overnight as originally scheduled. "

We have had port time cut short, itineraries changed due to hurricanes, mechanical failures etc, but we have never had our actual cruise cut short by a day. And the way they modified the itinerary means that we have to rebook/cancel/reschedule 5/7 days of the cruise. I'm sure they did that because Kauai is seen as a better port than Maui, but we would have much rather they worked it the other way and only have 1 day affected.

I understand that there is a cruise contract, but this is 2/2 cruises with NCL that we have major issues. We are going to take our measly credit for that day and move on.

For those of you that want to see the exact wording:

"Due to it's regulatory compliance requirements, Pride of America must undergo an unscheduled technical dry dock and the ship's March 3rd itinerary is being modified as a result. The necessary maintenance that will be conducted during this dry dock will in no way impact the safe operation of the vessel during your cruise.

The cruise is changing from a 7 day to a 6 day voyage, and the ship will now call on Kahului, Maui on March 4th from 8am - 6pm instead of staying overnight as originally scheduled. "

We have had port time cut short, itineraries changed due to hurricanes, mechanical failures etc, but we have never had our actual cruise cut short by a day. And the way they modified the itinerary means that we have to rebook/cancel/reschedule 5/7 days of the cruise. I'm sure they did that because Kauai is seen as a better port than Maui, but we would have much rather they worked it the other way and only have 1 day affected.

I understand that there is a cruise contract, but this is 2/2 cruises with NCL that we have major issues. We are going to take our measly credit for that day and move on.

Would you rather the cruise ship not fix whatever the problem is and potentially put future cruisers lives in danger?

Well, I can't say what exactly the PR people are trying to say, but there really isn't any such thing as a one day drydocking. It takes 6-8 hours to pump out the dock, and the same to refill it. With the time needed to shift the ship to the Pearl Harbor drydock, that would only give less than 12 hours, at absolute best, for whatever is needed. Her last drydock was about this time in 2016, which was at the far limit of the statutory drydock interval. So, I believe that what is happening is that the ship is undergoing a "UWILD" (underwater inspection in lieu of drydocking), which ships less than 15 years old can do rather than drydocking twice in 5 years as required. This entails divers videotaping the entire underwater portion of the hull, and all underwater equipment like propellers, thrusters, stabilizers, sea chests, etc for the class surveyor to review. I'm a bit surprised that NCL was caught on short notice for this, but I believe that since the drydock was at the late end of the statutory window, they felt the UWILD could be done up to 2.5 years afterwards, but in fact it needs to be done within 12.5 years (plus or minus 3 months) of her delivery date, which would be Dec 2017, plus or minus 3 months, so Oct 2017 - Mar 2018. NCL has always had trouble with the regulatory differences between US flag ships and foreign flag ships, and this may be one more example of this.

Several years ago on a non cruise to Hawaii there were mechanical issues on the flight out. Many hours at the NY airport finally boarded then plane broke before take off 4 plus hours stuck on the taramac heat in plane reached over 90 no beverages no food no restrooms due to FAA rules. Ugly, ugly finally pulled back to gate at 10 pm and shuttled to some bates motel near the airport. We did make it to Hawaii the next day...but there was a family traveling to their daughters wedding who were missing the ceremony due to the delay. It did cut an already short trip even shorter and was not handled well by the airline but that is travel sometimes bumps happen it is all about how you recover and make the best of what you do have!

Has anyone tried contacting NCL or your Personal Cruise Consultant at NCL regarding the itinerary change? I spoke to my PCC and he had no idea of the itinerary change and directed me to the telephone number on the letter. Well, as luck would have it they are closed until tomorrow.

I just want to make sure we have hotel accommodations for Friday the 9th, can change dinner reservations and reschedule an excursion.

Has anyone tried contacting NCL or your Personal Cruise Consultant at NCL regarding the itinerary change? I spoke to my PCC and he had no idea of the itinerary change and directed me to the telephone number on the letter. Well, as luck would have it they are closed until tomorrow.

I just want to make sure we have hotel accommodations for Friday the 9th, can change dinner reservations and reschedule an excursion.

I spoke with them earlier and they are putting everyone up in the Hilton Hawaiian Village, so you will be good for the 9th.

Would you rather the cruise ship not fix whatever the problem is and potentially put future cruisers lives in danger?

Of course not! But if it was that urgent, should it not be taken care of immediately? It seems strange that NCL was caught off guard by this.

Well, I can't say what exactly the PR people are trying to say, but there really isn't any such thing as a one day drydocking. It takes 6-8 hours to pump out the dock, and the same to refill it. With the time needed to shift the ship to the Pearl Harbor drydock, that would only give less than 12 hours, at absolute best, for whatever is needed. Her last drydock was about this time in 2016, which was at the far limit of the statutory drydock interval. So, I believe that what is happening is that the ship is undergoing a "UWILD" (underwater inspection in lieu of drydocking), which ships less than 15 years old can do rather than drydocking twice in 5 years as required. This entails divers videotaping the entire underwater portion of the hull, and all underwater equipment like propellers, thrusters, stabilizers, sea chests, etc for the class surveyor to review. I'm a bit surprised that NCL was caught on short notice for this, but I believe that since the drydock was at the late end of the statutory window, they felt the UWILD could be done up to 2.5 years afterwards, but in fact it needs to be done within 12.5 years (plus or minus 3 months) of her delivery date, which would be Dec 2017, plus or minus 3 months, so Oct 2017 - Mar 2018. NCL has always had trouble with the regulatory differences between US flag ships and foreign flag ships, and this may be one more example of this.

That makes sense! I don't know why they wouldn't just say that!! Thank you for your insight!!

I'm a bit confused - why would you have to change plans for 5 days? It sounds like the only change is that the last port is a single day instead of an overnight.