Silhouette-Southampton to LHR-Noon Flight, July 7---YAY or NAY???

jwlane

I wouldn't do it - way too stressful. How were you planning to do the trip? Last year our train was delayed from Southampton for 3 hours because of a suicide. If it's an international flight, then you need to be there about 2 hours before (provided you can check in online) so unless you pay for a taxi and can disembark at 7 am or earlier, I wouldn't risk it.

No worries. :)

7th July is a Saturday !!

No commuters clogging up the route to Heathrow.

Travel to Heathrow by train doesn't make sense, it's a convoluted route and for two is about the same cost as a private transfer.

Direct by National Express bus is the cheapest option, but won't fit your timetable.

Ships' transfer buses are usually recommended only for flights after 12.30 / 1pm, and again for two people cost about the same as a private transfer.

In your circumstances the obvious method is by pre-booked private transfer.

On a Saturday morning the drive (about 55 miles) will take less than 90 minutes.

Although check-in counters are open til an hour (or even less) before flight time, that cuts it fine for delays at check-in & security, and potentially a long walk to the departure gate. You really should aim to be at check-in a minimum 90 mins before your flight, and Philbeach's 2 hours is much more sensible.

That means depart the quayside by 8.30am.

But to give yourself wiggletime, best to disembark unassisted - that gives you extra time & gets you through port formalities & into your car before the herd starts disembarking. With Celebrity, unassisted disembarkation is usually 7am or a little before.

So book a car for 7.15 & you'll likely be at LHR more than three hours before your flight time.

I suggest you use a transfer operator based at the Southampton end, this avoids the driver being delayed on his way to the pick-up.

Try one of these, frequently used by CC members

www.smithsforairports.com

www.westquaycars.com

www.aquacars.co.uk

Expect a cost of about £100 or less.

The only risk is if your ship is delayed en-route to Southampton.

In July that's unlikely.

JB :)

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I are on the same cruise and catching a flight out of Heathrow at 12:30. We are planning to disembark unassisted as soon as we can and want to have transportation arranged beforehand. Any interest in sharing a van to Heathrow? We could probably fit three couples in a 7 passenger van if anyone else wants to join.

Thanks John Bull for all of your information and expertise! We are taking the National Express Bus to Southampton on June 23rd upon your recommendation.