Amsterdam - Hotel & Transfers

I'm planning for a 2018 cruise and have never been to Amsterdam. The HAL hotel is the Movenpick. I'm sure I can make my own arrangements for a pre-cruise stay for less cost than through HAL. I would be travelling with my mother who will be 82 at the time of travel. For that reason, I don't necessarily want the cheapest place/transfers but the one that offers the least stress which is why I'm seriously considering the HAL pre-cruise package.

1. Can anyone tell me about the proximity of the Movenpick to the cruise terminal? I tried Google Maps and it appears that it is right above/next door to the cruise terminal, is that correct?

2. What is the estimated cost of a taxi from Schiphol to the Movenpick? I think we would need to take a taxi rather than the train.

3. What other hotels can you recommend that is close to the cruise terminal and the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and Anne Frank House?

4. If anyone has purchased the HAL pre-cruise hotel package in Amsterdam before, did that include breakfast? If not, is there somewhere close to the Movenpick to get an inexpensive breakfast?

5. If we stay at another hotel close to the cruise terminal, is it easy to take a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal or will the driver resent a short trip? I read elsewhere on CC that they don't like short trips.

Thanks for your help!

I'm planning for a 2018 cruise and have never been to Amsterdam. The HAL hotel is the Movenpick. I'm sure I can make my own arrangements for a pre-cruise stay for less cost than through HAL. I would be travelling with my mother who will be 82 at the time of travel. For that reason, I don't necessarily want the cheapest place/transfers but the one that offers the least stress which is why I'm seriously considering the HAL pre-cruise package.

1. Can anyone tell me about the proximity of the Movenpick to the cruise terminal? I tried Google Maps and it appears that it is right above/next door to the cruise terminal, is that correct? It is next door to the terminal

2. What is the estimated cost of a taxi from Schiphol to the Movenpick? I think we would need to take a taxi rather than the train. about 50E

4. If anyone has purchased the HAL pre-cruise hotel package in Amsterdam before, did that include breakfast? If not, is there somewhere close to the Movenpick to get an inexpensive breakfast?

5. If we stay at another hotel close to the cruise terminal, is it easy to take a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal or will the driver resent a short trip? I read elsewhere on CC that they don't like short trips.

Thanks for your help!

There is no place close to the Movenpick for a cheap breakfast & the hotel breakfast was 33E pp last time we were there

There is always the tram but still a hike from Movenpick to the tram stop to take you to the centruum

We stayed at the Barbizon palace booked through Priceline easy walk to restaurants & a short taxi ride to the terminal

I am sure they will take you without a problem

We pre booked STA taxi from the airport but you probably can just walk out & get a taxi

I don't know how well your mother gets around but it is REALLY easy to take the train into central Amsterdam and then take a taxi from there. You actually pass the entrance to the train before you get out of the terminal.

The other places of interest that you mentioned are nowhere near the cruise port. And if seeing the Anne Frank house is important to you, be sure buy your tickets ahead of time.

There are group shuttle services at the airport. I can't remember the name of the one we used to get to Rotterdam but I would guess they also do runs into Amsterdam. That might be another option.

1. Can anyone tell me about the proximity of the Movenpick to the cruise terminal? I tried Google Maps and it appears that it is right above/next door to the cruise terminal, is that correct?

2. What is the estimated cost of a taxi from Schiphol to the Movenpick? I think we would need to take a taxi rather than the train.

3. What other hotels can you recommend that is close to the cruise terminal and the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and Anne Frank House?

Thanks for your help!

Yes Movenpick is above the cruise terminal. Any hotel in the vicinity of Centraal Station is also not too far from the cruiseterminal and An Frankhuis.

Amsterdam is a compact city with excellent public transportation. Indeed some cabdriver unfortunately donot like to make short drives, although it seems at the moment it isnot that bad as it was.

From the airport either take a cab (about E. 50,-) or use Uber or Tinker to make advance reservations.

This hotelshuttle also operates to many hotels: http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/

Thank you, all, for the information. Am I correct in understanding that if we were to stay at the Movenpick, we would be somewhat isolated from the Centruum? LHT28 indicates that there is a hike to get to the tram stop. How long of a hike? Is it flat walking and just a little far? DM is unable to deal with hills/inclines/multiple flights of stairs. Other than that, her mobility is fairly good for someone of her age.

The reason for avoiding the train has more to do with me handling the bigger luggage and directing her rather than actually taking the train. Thank you, Ine, for the link to the shuttle service. That is probably the way we will go. Less expensive than a taxi.

While the Movenpick is well situated for our departure, it doesn't appear to be well situated for sightseeing. I will continue to research other options, including the Barbizon.

It ia SHORT walk to the tram stop but it up a slight incline ..fine if you are fit

I would stay near the Central station if you plan on site seeing the trams are close by

Doubletree is across the road

be sure to make sure the hotel has a lift as many older/cheaper properties do not

JMO

This was a few yrs ago the tram stop was close to the walkway from the music building next to Movenpick

the photo was taken from in front of hotel

i-2TBxw28-M.jpg

Edited by LHT28

It ia SHORT walk to the tram stop but it up a slight incline ..fine if you are fit

I would stay near the Central station if you plan on site seeing the trams are close by

Doubletree is across the road

be sure to make sure the hotel has a lift as many older/cheaper properties do not

JMO

This was a few yrs ago the tram stop was close to the walkway from the music building next to Movenpick

the photo was taken from in front of hotel

i-2TBxw28-M.jpg

Oh, good point about the lift! I forgot about that; I guess I'm too spoiled in Canada.

Does anyone know if the Banks Mansion has a lift? I can't tell from the reviews I've read or from their website. Based on the reviews alone, I'm leaning towards the Banks.

Oh, good point about the lift! I forgot about that; I guess I'm too spoiled in Canada.

Does anyone know if the Banks Mansion has a lift? I can't tell from the reviews I've read or from their website. Based on the reviews alone, I'm leaning towards the Banks.

Yes Banks Mantion has a lift. Friends always stay there, they love it.

Thanks, Ine. I showed the website to my mother and she's very intrigued. Now I'm anxiously awaiting the time that I can make the reservation.

The Banks would be a great choice. We and 8 others stayed there last year pre cruise. The Flower Market is down the street and all the other spots you mentioned are less than two miles from the hotel. Trams are available right near the hotel if you don't want to walk it. They have a great made to order breakfast in the morning and snacks in the late afternoon. Also the Foam Museum is just a couple of blocks away.

• 1 year later...

We have reservations for Banks Mansion April 28th. Has anyone used Connexxion Hotel Shuttle from the airport to Banks? Cost shows as 34 euros for 2 people. Also, any suggestions for transportation from Banks to the cruise port (Royal Caribbean sailing)?

We are arriving in Amsterdam on May11th and have reservations at the Carlton in Harrlem. I understand that it is about 30 min from the airport.

We are traveling with alot of luggage and looking for the best way to reach our hotel. Any recommendation for services that we might use?

We chose the hotel due to the reasonable cost as compared to Amsterdam.

We have reservations for Banks Mansion April 28th. Has anyone used Connexxion Hotel Shuttle from the airport to Banks? Cost shows as 34 euros for 2 people. Also, any suggestions for transportation from Banks to the cruise port (Royal Caribbean sailing)?

The Hotel can certainly help you, but in this case a cab or Uber will be most convienent.

If using public transport you need to change trams at Centraal Station or walk from there.

We are arriving in Amsterdam on May11th and have reservations at the Carlton in Harrlem. I understand that it is about 30 min from the airport.

We are traveling with alot of luggage and looking for the best way to reach our hotel. Any recommendation for services that we might use?

We chose the hotel due to the reasonable cost as compared to Amsterdam.

Best and easiest will be to use Uber or take a cab, It will not be cheap.

Another option is this busconnection from the airport to Haarlem, busnr. 300. Storage for luggage might be limited.

https://www.connexxion.nl/dienstregeling/lijn?ID=M300

In Haarlem you probably need a cab for the final portion.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also 'over packers' and will have four large bags with us from AMS to our hotel on 26Jul. It appears to me that the standard taxis are small-ish. I note that KLM offers to book airport-to-hotel cars in various sizes. Given we have more than the average amount of luggage, should we choose one of the larger cars or a small van? Or can we get a taxi with more space?

We've used the Connexion shuttle from the airport to the Mouvenpick. They use a 10 to 12 seat bus. We were their last stop so we saw several other hotels. We weren't in a hurry so the round about route was OK. For return we booked Connexion shuttle from the Mouvenpick to airport we sat in their lobby until shuttle arrived.

We are also 'over packers' and will have four large bags with us from AMS to our hotel on 26Jul. It appears to me that the standard taxis are small-ish. I note that KLM offers to book airport-to-hotel cars in various sizes. Given we have more than the average amount of luggage, should we choose one of the larger cars or a small van? Or can we get a taxi with more space?

Most regular cabs indeed will be too small for 4 big suitcases. Better book a bigger one.

Thank you, all, for the information. Am I correct in understanding that if we were to stay at the Movenpick, we would be somewhat isolated from the Centruum? LHT28 indicates that there is a hike to get to the tram stop. How long of a hike? Is it flat walking and just a little far? DM is unable to deal with hills/inclines/multiple flights of stairs. Other than that, her mobility is fairly good for someone of her age.

The terrain is almost completely flat & it is only a 5 minute walk from the Movenpick to the tram stop.

The tram will take get you to Centraal Station in a mere 4 minutes. From Centraal Station, you can hop on a tram to almost any destination within the city. Amsterdam's tram system is excellent and easy to use.

The terrain is almost completely flat & it is only a 5 minute walk from the Movenpick to the tram stop.

The tram will take get you to Centraal Station in a mere 4 minutes. From Centraal Station, you can hop on a tram to almost any destination within the city. Amsterdam's tram system is excellent and easy to use.

Be aware tramnr 26 to Centraal Station is now cashless as are many of the buses in town. You can pay by bankcard and creditcard, but I am not sure if any cards from other countries will\/can be accepted. More of this in dutch, b ut if you use google translate to read it in english. https://www.gvb.nl/reizen/cashloos-ov/geen-contant-geld-meer-tram-26

You certainly need a PIN number.

Usually when ships are in port there will be a booth of the tourism office in the cruise terminal, in case of questions they will be helpful. Or check with the office at centraal station