Flowrider board reviews, which to buy?

I want to buy a board before my upcoming transatlantic on the Symphony of the Seas this October. I know that the boards on the ship are Outlaws, and they come in various lengths. I like the shortest possible, and on my last cruise on the Ovation of the Seas, the staff would not put out any shorter boards for passenger use, they even had one board that was almost a surfboard. Finally, after me bugging them for over a week occasionally they would bring out a shorter Outlaw for me to use only. They said they are too fast and quick turning for the passengers. Of course, when the new board showed up, the others wanted to try it, and they would usually take it away for the remainder of the session. This was very frustrating.

So, I did some google searches and surprisingly I couldn’t find any review sites. Sigh. Have found places to buy boards, but they are pretty lacking on reviews.

I am 5’9 190# and pushing 60. I do not do tricks, although I can do a 360 and launch from the top. I just want to carve fast and hard at the top of the wave. Which I can do fairly well. I am not great, but usually one of the better on the cruises I am on. I have surfed with Pez and I am getting closer to his skill level with every cruise. I know he had a Shuvit on a cruise I did with him in 2015, but I don’t like to use other people’s stuff and even though he offered I didn’t take him up on it. Anyway help!!!!:confused:

So, what board do I want to buy, and why?

I hope to hear from experienced flowriders who have surfed boards other than Outlaws.

Thanks in advance

JC

I want to buy a board before my upcoming transatlantic on the Symphony of the Seas this October. I know that the boards on the ship are Outlaws, and they come in various lengths. I like the shortest possible, and on my last cruise on the Ovation of the Seas, the staff would not put out any shorter boards for passenger use, they even had one board that was almost a surfboard. Finally, after me bugging them for over a week occasionally they would bring out a shorter Outlaw for me to use only. They said they are too fast and quick turning for the passengers. Of course, when the new board showed up, the others wanted to try it, and they would usually take it away for the remainder of the session. This was very frustrating.

So, I did some google searches and surprisingly I couldn’t find any review sites. Sigh. Have found places to buy boards, but they are pretty lacking on reviews.

I am 5’9 190# and pushing 60. I do not do tricks, although I can do a 360 and launch from the top. I just want to carve fast and hard at the top of the wave. Which I can do fairly well. I am not great, but usually one of the better on the cruises I am on. I have surfed with Pez and I am getting closer to his skill level with every cruise. I know he had a Shuvit on a cruise I did with him in 2015, but I don’t like to use other people’s stuff and even though he offered I didn’t take him up on it. Anyway help!!!!:confused:

I hope to hear from experienced flowriders who have surfed boards other than Outlaws.

Thanks in advance

JC

I’ve been told by many that every board is so different that it really depends on what you find works for you. It is a chicken and egg thing since you can’t try em till you buy em. May buy a used one cheaper as a starter. I’m in your boat. I want to get a board but I don’t know what is best for me.

FWIW. On my last cruise they seem to be rolling out some newer boards that weren’t as basic. I can’t recall the type though. Shorties were always available.

I did the harmony TA a couple years ago and they had newer boards which was nice. So maybe symphony will have better option. Be prepared for lots of advanced riders. It was a very long line during advanced hour on that cruise.

We got a 38" Shuvit with channels and side cuts (hourglass shape) after being on a cruise with Pezz a few years ago and we love it. We also have a 41" Carve with channels which rides similar to the longer Outlaw boards the ships have, but is a bit more nimble.

Shuvit Pros: channels/side cuts make it easier to do heelside/toeside and ride the top of the wave. Great for carving, and very easy to control. I'm getting pretty good at Ollies on it and can jump back and forth a bit on the wave. If your focus is deep carves and riding the top 3rd of the wave, this is THE board.

Shuvit Cons: not as great for tricks where you spin the board. I find 360s harder to do on this board, although once you get used to it, it's not a big deal. Despite the name, it's hard for me to do Shuvits on this board. I think this is due to this version of the board being flatter and the channels and side cut being designed to grab the wave.

As for the Outlaw, I have ridden the new version of the 39" Outlaw board (not the canoe versions they have on the ship for general use) a few times, and if I could do the Flowrider more than once or twice a year on a cruise, I would have one of these. The deck is concave, which makes 360s a breeze. After years of being able to do one or two spins on the Shuvit, I got on the short Outlaw for the first time and I could spin until I was too dizzy to go on. I think it is a great board for someone who is progressing into intermediate skills, or for us old farts who can do a couple of tricks and want to win BOTB by doing 10 360s in a row. The Outlaws are expensive though, but the fiberglass is low maintenance so they are more durable. They stand up to the 100's of rides a day on the cruise ships without issue. With myself and my two teenage boys sharing the wood boards, they do take a beating. I always take Crazy Glue on the ship for emergency board surgery.

Haven't tried the quad channel Outlaws, but I'm assuming those would be better for carving. The graphite boards seem like they are getting popular, but I have heard that a lot of people don't like lightweight boards unless you are doing aerial tricks.

The other board that has my interest is the 39" Carve with channels. That one also has a slight side cut so it seems like a hybrid between the short Shuvit and the short Outlaw. The only issue is the deck isn't concave, which is a huge plus for the short Outlaw. It is half the price of the Outlaw though, and since I already have the Shuvit I expect it might make an appearance in my bag at some point in the future.

For flying to the port, I have the big Flowrider bag which fits a boogie board. We put a boogie board in it along with the Shuvit and Carve and check it in on the plane. Haven't had any issues yet. I do carry the bag on the ship though, as I don't want to do that prime first day Flowriding with no crowds without my boards. It has backpack straps on it so I carry it on my back, and I always get questions about it since it is pretty huge. The good thing about that bag is if we run out of room in our suitcases on the way home, we can always throw some dirty clothes in with the boards. I also have the regular bag that just fits flowboards, and I wouldn't have an issue checking that in either. Now that my youngest son has progressed from boogie board to stand-up (plus the fact that RCCL has ruined boogie-boarding on their ships), I'm thinking we'll start leaving the boogie-board at home and just take the small bag.

Thanks in advance

JC

Will they let you surf with your board?

We got a 38" Shuvit with channels and side cuts (hourglass shape) after being on a cruise with Pezz a few years ago and we love it. We also have a 41" Carve with channels which rides similar to the longer Outlaw boards the ships have, but is a bit more nimble.

Shuvit Pros: channels/side cuts make it easier to do heelside/toeside and ride the top of the wave. Great for carving, and very easy to control. I'm getting pretty good at Ollies on it and can jump back and forth a bit on the wave. If your focus is deep carves and riding the top 3rd of the wave, this is THE board.

Shuvit Cons: not as great for tricks where you spin the board. I find 360s harder to do on this board, although once you get used to it, it's not a big deal. Despite the name, it's hard for me to do Shuvits on this board. I think this is due to this version of the board being flatter and the channels and side cut being designed to grab the wave.

As for the Outlaw, I have ridden the new version of the 39" Outlaw board (not the canoe versions they have on the ship for general use) a few times, and if I could do the Flowrider more than once or twice a year on a cruise, I would have one of these. The deck is concave, which makes 360s a breeze. After years of being able to do one or two spins on the Shuvit, I got on the short Outlaw for the first time and I could spin until I was too dizzy to go on. I think it is a great board for someone who is progressing into intermediate skills, or for us old farts who can do a couple of tricks and want to win BOTB by doing 10 360s in a row. The Outlaws are expensive though, but the fiberglass is low maintenance so they are more durable. They stand up to the 100's of rides a day on the cruise ships without issue. With myself and my two teenage boys sharing the wood boards, they do take a beating. I always take Crazy Glue on the ship for emergency board surgery.

Haven't tried the quad channel Outlaws, but I'm assuming those would be better for carving. The graphite boards seem like they are getting popular, but I have heard that a lot of people don't like lightweight boards unless you are doing aerial tricks.

The other board that has my interest is the 39" Carve with channels. That one also has a slight side cut so it seems like a hybrid between the short Shuvit and the short Outlaw. The only issue is the deck isn't concave, which is a huge plus for the short Outlaw. It is half the price of the Outlaw though, and since I already have the Shuvit I expect it might make an appearance in my bag at some point in the future.

For flying to the port, I have the big Flowrider bag which fits a boogie board. We put a boogie board in it along with the Shuvit and Carve and check it in on the plane. Haven't had any issues yet. I do carry the bag on the ship though, as I don't want to do that prime first day Flowriding with no crowds without my boards. It has backpack straps on it so I carry it on my back, and I always get questions about it since it is pretty huge. The good thing about that bag is if we run out of room in our suitcases on the way home, we can always throw some dirty clothes in with the boards. I also have the regular bag that just fits flowboards, and I wouldn't have an issue checking that in either. Now that my youngest son has progressed from boogie board to stand-up (plus the fact that RCCL has ruined boogie-boarding on their ships), I'm thinking we'll start leaving the boogie-board at home and just take the small bag.

Great info. Tnx. Now I might try to get a board for my upcoming cruise.

mil76, can you send me an email, my email address is in my signature. I want to make sure that whatever board I settle on that it is one that you recommend. I am leaning toward the 39” Outlaw that you mentioned because durability would seem to be a big plus for me. I loved your post!!!!!:)

JC

I have a 39" Carve with channels and love it. Perfect for someone that likes to carve up top and limit their tricks to 360's. I suggest trying a board before you buy it so you don't have regrets later.

Wood boards cost a lot less than fiberglass but don't last as long and require refinishing about every two years. I'm on my second Carve having worn the first one out after four years (I cruise a lot).

Lou

mil76, can you send me an email, my email address is in my signature. I want to make sure that whatever board I settle on that it is one that you recommend. I am leaning toward the 39” Outlaw that you mentioned because durability would seem to be a big plus for me. I loved your post!!!!!:)

JC

JC, I don’t necessarily worry about the durability when I picked. I cruise three times a year and I haven’t had to refinish my wood board yet. If I rode more such as loudbmw I would have to do some maintenance. Yes, there are a couple of chips/dings by I’m not worried about them. My philosophy is if the board is half the price and lasts half as long it works out to be the same in the end. F one needs to be replaced I can try another brand or style. I haven’t ridden my channeled shut-it lately, and mainly take my channeled carve and carbon fibre carve 4 channeled board.

My main recommendation would be go with a short board. They are a lot more responsive and fun. Also get a padded bag if you fly with them. Cover them in bubble wrap and protect the sides with 2” plumbing insulation styrofoam wrap. You can get it at Home Depot.

I am all in on the shortness of the board, while I agree paying half to a board is a plus.... durability, I think means I don’t have to worry if someone else uses it. I think my goal is to always have a short board available, and not just super long super slow boards that are great if you just stand on it and go up and down oscillating until you eventually crash. I would like to think the point of a flowrider is to ride the wave, and to visit all of it.

JC

Don't limit yourself to just considering Waveloch boards that others mention. I purchased an Ash board that is very stable, much more than the boards on the ship, and very easy to ride. The only issue I have with it on some waves is that you have two types of shape you can get - either a stub nose or a rounded nose. The stub nose is wonderful for just floating and carving hard. The issue I have with it is that if you do not get the board right across the wave and do not have enough weight forwards, the back corners of the board tend to catch the mat on some waves. The rounded ends are better for 360s and some other tricks and do not catch like the stub nose does. My Ash board is wood and does have a few nicks in it, but nothing bad.

I wanted to switch to a fibreglass board, but the Ash boards were too expensive in my opinion for fibreglass, so I purchased a MAK fibreglass board. I was not sure if I really liked it the first couple of times I rode it because it was so quick compared to my Ash board. It too has the stub corners, but for some reason, I rarely catch on the MAK board. Fantastic board for ollies and 360s plus carving. Very durable - not a single nick in it after riding it for 14 months.

Both of my boards have the concave top to them like others have mentioned. Basically, it means the toe and heel edge are raised slightly, permitting you to apply pressure easier to toe and heel when carving. A really nice feature to have. Both of my boards are 40" which I find perfect for my size 5'10" and 180 lbs for a 48 year old. I have VGT on top of both boards, which offers far more grip than the foam on the Waveloch boards.

I contacted Scott House for my Ash and Jeremie Miller for my MAK board directly through Facebook. Both of them answered any questions I had about what style of board would be best for me and my skills and built a custom board based on that. Another bonus with the MAK is that you can custom design the base of your board and they will do those graphics for you if that is something you want to do. The MAK fibreglass board with VGT top cost me about $150 less with MAK than with Ash.

As for transporting the boards on a plane. My first time, I put it in a box and padded the inside with foam and towels because I thought they would not let me carry them on board. The last few times, I just carry them on as a personal item. With JetBlue, you put them in the storage compartment above you. With our Delta flights, they had a closet at the front of the plane for hanging bags that they were happy to store the board in. I do not even bother putting it in a bag. Gets you lots of strange looks in the airport and is a great conversation starter.

How much are you wanting to spend and how often do you ride? I ride 38”‘s and have ridden pretty much ever board manufacturer out there.

Whether I spend 200 or 500, it will not affect my life. I just want the best board for surfing on the RCI ships, that carves well and fits my being 59 and a bit heavy, I don’t care to win BOB, I just like to carve fast and hard at the top fo the wave, that is my one and only goal, I can sort of do that, but I would like to do that better. :halo::') Boards that don’t require me to worry abou them seem to be better. I would like to offer my board to friends in line that I have never met before, and for all of us to have a great time.

JC

Don't limit yourself to just considering Waveloch boards that others mention. I purchased an Ash board that is very stable, much more than the boards on the ship, and very easy to ride. The only issue I have with it on some waves is that you have two types of shape you can get - either a stub nose or a rounded nose. The stub nose is wonderful for just floating and carving hard. The issue I have with it is that if you do not get the board right across the wave and do not have enough weight forwards, the back corners of the board tend to catch the mat on some waves. The rounded ends are better for 360s and some other tricks and do not catch like the stub nose does. My Ash board is wood and does have a few nicks in it, but nothing bad.

I wanted to switch to a fibreglass board, but the Ash boards were too expensive in my opinion for fibreglass, so I purchased a MAK fibreglass board. I was not sure if I really liked it the first couple of times I rode it because it was so quick compared to my Ash board. It too has the stub corners, but for some reason, I rarely catch on the MAK board. Fantastic board for ollies and 360s plus carving. Very durable - not a single nick in it after riding it for 14 months.

Both of my boards have the concave top to them like others have mentioned. Basically, it means the toe and heel edge are raised slightly, permitting you to apply pressure easier to toe and heel when carving. A really nice feature to have. Both of my boards are 40" which I find perfect for my size 5'10" and 180 lbs for a 48 year old. I have VGT on top of both boards, which offers far more grip than the foam on the Waveloch boards.

I contacted Scott House for my Ash and Jeremie Miller for my MAK board directly through Facebook. Both of them answered any questions I had about what style of board would be best for me and my skills and built a custom board based on that. Another bonus with the MAK is that you can custom design the base of your board and they will do those graphics for you if that is something you want to do. The MAK fibreglass board with VGT top cost me about $150 less with MAK than with Ash.

As for transporting the boards on a plane. My first time, I put it in a box and padded the inside with foam and towels because I thought they would not let me carry them on board. The last few times, I just carry them on as a personal item. With JetBlue, you put them in the storage compartment above you. With our Delta flights, they had a closet at the front of the plane for hanging bags that they were happy to store the board in. I do not even bother putting it in a bag. Gets you lots of strange looks in the airport and is a great conversation starter.

It would be awesome to carry as a carry on. That would be the perfect scenario. Anyone else do this?

JC

xpcdoojk/JC, I'll be on that Symphony TA with you. I've been debating the same thing - I want a durable board I'm comfortable letting others ride when I bring it along. I'm 6'1, 190, 50 years old and really like the shorter boards. I've been looking at the Ash Stub ($300) and trying to decide on 36" vs 39". I was on a 10 day last year with a guy who brought his Ash board (not sure what model) and pretty darn short. I'm kicking myself for not looking at the length...

xpcdoojk/JC, I'll be on that Symphony TA with you. I've been debating the same thing - I want a durable board I'm comfortable letting others ride when I bring it along. I'm 6'1, 190, 50 years old and really like the shorter boards. I've been looking at the Ash Stub ($300) and trying to decide on 36" vs 39". I was on a 10 day last year with a guy who brought his Ash board (not sure what model) and pretty darn short. I'm kicking myself for not looking at the length...

So you buy the Ash and I will buy the waveloch then one of us will figure out we screwed up!:')

I am definitely going to buy something.

I would love to be able to carry it on as that would be my biggest worry, is what the baggage handlers do to it. I know my golf clubs have been banged around.

JC

So you buy the Ash and I will buy the waveloch then one of us will figure out we screwed up!:')

I am definitely going to buy something.

I would love to be able to carry it on as that would be my biggest worry, is what the baggage handlers do to it. I know my golf clubs have been banged around.

JC

Done. See you on board. I'm going to try to carry it on my flights.