Norwegian increases gratuities from 1 April 2018

drsel

Norwegian Cruise Line is making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1, 2018. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to the onboard staff dedicated to delivering superior guest service throughout the cruise.

The new rates are:

$14.50 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom

$17.50 per person per day for any suite or The Haven category

Any guest that has made a booking by March 31, 2018 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to sail date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate are not affected.

Service charges can be prepaid in the Vacation Summary section on My NCL.

Umm, no. NCL leads the way on increases.

Not this time. NCL is playing catch-up. :p

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

QWhat is Royal Caribbean's gratuity price and policy?

A

The automatic gratuity is $14.50 USD, or $17.50 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis. The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure. Guests who have pre-paid their gratuity will not see a daily charge during their cruise.

The automatic daily gratuity is based on customary industry standards. Applying this charge automatically helps streamline the recognition process for the crew members that work to enhance your cruise. We hope you find the gratuity to be an accurate reflection of your satisfaction and thank you for your generous recognition of our staff.

Norwegian Cruise Line is making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1, 2018. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to the onboard staff dedicated to delivering superior guest service throughout the cruise.

The new rates are:

Any guest that has made a booking by March 31, 2018 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to sail date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate are not affected.

Oh! You found out how to do cut and paste! Congrats!

Umm, no. NCL leads the way on increases.

That's for sure. NCL leads the industry on this one :o

Its funny how just a simple acknowledgment of such an announcement sends the cheerleaders into a tizzy (mocking people for posting it).

I still don't understand how NCL charges an auto gratuity on a cover charge for a restaurant if you have are already paying a daily auto gratuity. But that is for another day and another thread :eek:

and what is your source for posting the crew doesn't get any of this pray tell? :confused:

Numerous crew I consider friends who have told me as such over the many dozens of cruises I have been on with NCL.

You can take the crew for their word or keep your head buried in the sand.

Good thing pom-poms are light and easy to shake.

Hi this is our first cruise ever! We are going May 2018 (Hawaii) and just found out about this increase.

Would anyone advise to prepay or just pay at the end of the cruise?

We are also great tippers and thought we should just tip as we go..thoughts? Advice??

The new rates are:

You NO DOUBT work for NCL......LOL ;p Firstly, "nominal"......this is the SECOND increase since I booked by September cruise on the Bliss....and it is now $1 (not $.50) as some of you are saying to our increases......funny way to word your opening statement OP!!

You NO DOUBT work for NCL......LOL ;p Firstly, "nominal"......this is the SECOND increase since I booked by September cruise on the Bliss....and it is now $1 (not $.50) as some of you are saying to our increases......funny way to word your opening statement OP!!

The OP obviously just cut and pasted the info they received in an NCL email.

Hi this is our first cruise ever! We are going May 2018 (Hawaii) and just found out about this increase.

Would anyone advise to prepay or just pay at the end of the cruise?

We are also great tippers and thought we should just tip as we go..thoughts? Advice??

by prepay it, it reduces the bill you get at the end of the cruise.

It's an extra $3-$4 for a 7 day cruise. If it's going to the crew then I think we can afford these extra few dollars. If however, as many have suggested, that this is going into NCL's pockets then yes - we should be up in arms.

It's an extra $3-$4 for a 7 day cruise. If it's going to the crew then I think we can afford these extra few dollars. If however, as many have suggested, that this is going into NCL's pockets then yes - we should be up in arms.

What do you mean by "up in arms about it". What will you do? What are your choices?