What not to miss in Miami

Smurf2017

We will be in Miami for one complete day pre-cruise. As this will probably be our one and only visit to the city, are there any tourist sights that we should not miss?

We will be staying on the outskirts of Little Havana and will not have a car. We love to mix with the locals wherever we visit, so always make our way around by public transport.

Any suggestions welcome.

T.I.A.

You can't stay in Little Havana without a car rental. Out of curiousity, why are you staying there? Do you speak Spanish fluently? Your public transport will waste a tremendous amount of your time.

It isn't a tourist destination but a working class Cuban city. It's a very odd choice for a first time visitor. Also, the 'outskirts' aren't the safest areas.

This has red flags all over it.

That said, my things to see:

Wynwood Walls

Miami Beach

South Beach Deco buildings

Vizcaya

Fairfield Botanical Gardens/Deering Estate

Coral Gables/Biltmore/Venetian Pool

OP is from the UK and probably doesn't know much about SoFL, especially the Miami area.

OP, not sure your age or the type of things you like to do. Some things we enjoyed doing as a family (1 6 year old and 1 teenager) were the Miami Zoo, the Everglades boat tour, and especially Seaquarium. We stayed in South Beach at Lincoln Road Mall so we went to the beach a lot also, and just spent time in SoBe.

I would guess your mode of transportation will be Uber? Miami is a HUGE city, you'll spend a lot of time getting around. It's 1,950 sq miles. I highly recommend getting a rental car. You're going to spend more in Ubering/taxi/whatever you choose than you would be to rent a car. Rentals are fairly cheap.

You can't stay in Little Havana without a car rental. Out of curiousity, why are you staying there? Do you speak Spanish fluently? Your public transport will waste a tremendous amount of your time.

It isn't a tourist destination but a working class Cuban city. It's a very odd choice for a first time visitor. Also, the 'outskirts' aren't the safest areas.

This has red flags all over it.

That said, my things to see:

Wynwood Walls

Miami Beach

South Beach Deco buildings

Vizcaya

Fairfield Botanical Gardens/Deering Estate

Coral Gables/Biltmore/Venetian Pool

Hi and thanks for your comments and suggestions. We didn't choose Little Havana intentionally. We chose the hotel and that is where it is situated and has a bus stop right outside the door. I speak a little Spanish and my girlfriend more so as she is Portuguese. With the Spanish being next door neighbours so to speak, there are many similarities in the language and both nationalities understand one another. We are looking forward to testing our linguistic skills on the locals as we do wherever we travel. We enjoyed breaks in Turkey, Czech Republic, Hungary and Germany last year and don't speak any of those languages, so Miami shouldn't be a problem.

Love your ideas, particularly Vizcaya and the gardens so thanks for mentioning those.

Thanks also to tecknoge3k and skudy. I think we have a plan coming together now and it will definitely include South Beach.

I would highly recommend a hop on/hop off bus. We do these whenever we have a day in a city and want to take it all in. Get on the first morning bus and hop off at the stuff you want to see. Check their schedules and stops, that way you can plan ahead as well. You'll want to see Little Havana, or at least grab Cuban food. Versailles Restaurant is the most popular spot.

South Beach is what seemingly most tourists think of when they hear "Miami" as well. Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive, and South Pointe Park are the places to see there. I love South Pointe, personally. The most famous restaurant in South Florida is Joe's Stone Crab, which is right next to South Pointe Park as well. They serve lunch and dinner, quite pricey, but if you want to try real stone crab claws and eat at an iconic restaurant, that's the place to be.

The bus will take forever. Our transit system is not great, its actually pretty bad. Its not like you find in most European cities. So if you can take Uber/Lyft.

Your choice of hotel area is extremely extremely odd and I highly suggest you change it.

As for must do. It depends what you like to do.

The usual list is, see Ocean Drive, Lincoln Road, Wynwood, maybe Vizcaya.

The hop-on hop-off bus might be your best best to get around.

Where exactly is your hotel? Address or name of the hotel? You might be in for a very special Miami experience.

The bus will take forever. Our transit system is not great, its actually pretty bad. Its not like you find in most European cities. So if you can take Uber/Lyft.

Your choice of hotel area is extremely extremely odd and I highly suggest you change it.

As for must do. It depends what you like to do.

The usual list is, see Ocean Drive, Lincoln Road, Wynwood, maybe Vizcaya.

The hop-on hop-off bus might be your best best to get around.

Where exactly is your hotel? Address or name of the hotel? You might be in for a very special Miami experience.

The Jefferson at 528 SW 9th Ave.

We survived the nights in the real Havana and two weeks in Cuba and only got ripped off once. What could be worse?!

We survived the nights in the real Havana and two weeks in Cuba and only got ripped off once. What could be worse?!

I have seen this hotel come up on the boards before. It is what it is, cheap, in an ok at best area. I would not call the area dangerous but I would not call it safe either.

If you plan on using Uber you will be ok. Public transit you will be spending 40% of the day waiting for the bus.

I would not walk around there at night.

Flymia is a lot nicer about it than I am.

It is a meh hotel in a bad location.

I would not stay there.

Please see if you can find other accommodations.

Flymia is a lot nicer about it than I am.

It is a meh hotel in a bad location.

I would not stay there.

Please see if you can find other accommodations.

Thanks for that but the hotel is already booked and paid for so not an option. We arrive around 10.30 pm on a Friday and leave around 10 a.m. on Sunday so only a couple of nights.

I am about to hit the 'Buy' button on a day resort pass but will ask first this time. I'm looking at the Confidante at 4041 Collins Ave. for our post cruise / pre-flight last day in Miami. Any thoughts please?