Couple of LA Boarding Questions

Boatmans Lady

Wasn't certain what title to use, but never having been to LA or cruised with Regent, I have a couple of what might be stupid questions, but I like to be prepared.

Owing to flying from the UK, we arrive the day before with an included night in a hotel.

Our paperwork says TBC, but does anyone know roughly when we will get told where we are staying and if transport is provided from the airport?

Also do we pay for any meals we take?

Secondly, which port do Regent use within the LA area and we have a sail time of 6pm, so we were thinking that as we will be up early due to the time difference, we could do some sightseeing before boarding.

Bearing in mind the 6pm sail time, could we reasonably get to the port for 4pm. Would this give us enough time to complete boarding and attend muster?

Thanks for any help.

For U.S. passengers, if you're using Regent air, then the transfer to the hotel is included. If you are doing your own air, it is not. I'm not sure if different rules apply to UK passengers, however.

Last time we had a TBC hotel, we found out about a month or two beforehand which hotel it was.

Your breakfast likely will be included, but you'll need to check. It usually is. All other on-shore meals are on your own.

You probably are sailing out of the San Pedro port, but you can check your sailing date here https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-los-angeles-california.html to confirm (note that this site is not 100% accurate, but this is the usual port for LA).

Have your TA check what the all-aboard time is. It likely will be 4:00 or 4:30, since Regent does the lifeboat muster before sailing (5:00 seems to be a favorite time for a 6:00 sailing). Be aware that LA-area traffic can be brutal, particularly on a weekday, so factor that into your plans.

Thank you wishlweretravelling.

This certainly helps and I'll certainly factor in the traffic and travelling time, but sounds as though we might have time to do something before boarding.

I love to plan and look at things and at the moment I have too much time on my hands, so all these things keep popping into my mind.

Be very very careful about LA Traffic and the Bumper to Bumper traffic to San Pedro Ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with JVilleGal. And the traffic in all of the LA area can be bad so I wouldn't venture too far before going to the port.

Thank you, and we will certainly take this into consideration if we decide to do anything, but I think we first need to know where we will be staying.

I have noted that there are things in the port area that would be of great interest to my hubby, so we do have options.

Boatmans Lady, sorry I'm late to the party here but perhaps I can offer a few details of our LA boarding experiences exactly one year ago today (!) when we sailed LA to Miami on Explorer. We spent a few days in LA first as we have friends there and know the city fairly well. So, we stayed elsewhere, but moved into the hotel included by Regent for the two nights before our cruise - one night was included in the cost of our cruise, we purchased the second night ourselves. On that occasion, the included hotel was the Intercontinental Century City, a large, modern-ish hotel in a fairly good location we were familiar with already. Rather than go into all the details here, may I suggest we have a separate email conversation? My blog address is in my signature here if you'd like to get in touch.

Boatmans Lady, sorry I'm late to the party here but perhaps I can offer a few details of our LA boarding experiences exactly one year ago today (!) when we sailed LA to Miami on Explorer. We spent a few days in LA first as we have friends there and know the city fairly well. So, we stayed elsewhere, but moved into the hotel included by Regent for the two nights before our cruise - one night was included in the cost of our cruise, we purchased the second night ourselves. On that occasion, the included hotel was the Intercontinental Century City, a large, modern-ish hotel in a fairly good location we were familiar with already. Rather than go into all the details here, may I suggest we have a separate email conversation? My blog address is in my signature here if you'd like to get in touch.

Thank you. I'm not great with technology, but have been on your blog page [just waiting for your cruise to load to read] but it may be me, but can't see how I send you a message.

Could you give me a pointer please.

Thanks

After spending most of my life in Los Angeles, I also agree about the traffic. Not sure what city you are staying in (Long Beach?) because San Pedro is a rather miserable area. Without traffic you could be almost wherever you want to in an hour. That same trip with traffic is at least doubled (if there are no accidents).

If you got up at 6:00 a.m. to drive to Beverly Hills or Santa Monica (for instance), you would hit morning traffic and would be in bumper to bumper traffic (traffic heading from Orange County, Long Beach, etc. to their jobs in the Los Angeles area). If you decide to wander off, I would head back at noon - just to be on the safe side.

Note: Messaging on Cruise Critic is not enabled!

After spending most of my life in Los Angeles, I also agree about the traffic. Not sure what city you are staying in (Long Beach?) because San Pedro is a rather miserable area. Without traffic you could be almost wherever you want to in an hour. That same trip with traffic is at least doubled (if there are no accidents).

If you got up at 6:00 a.m. to drive to Beverly Hills or Santa Monica (for instance), you would hit morning traffic and would be in bumper to bumper traffic (traffic heading from Orange County, Long Beach, etc. to their jobs in the Los Angeles area). If you decide to wander off, I would head back at noon - just to be on the safe side.

Note: Messaging on Cruise Critic is not enabled!

Thank you TC.

We won't know where we are staying until Regent inform us. It just says "TBC" on our itinerary.

Knowing me of old when I fly to the Western side of the USA, I'm likely to be wide awake by 4 or 5 am and don't want to just kick around a hotel all day after being cooped up on a plane all day previously, so hence my question.

Once we know where Regent are overnighting us, I'll have a look for some things to occupy us.

Sorry for the confusion about the messaging that I replied to a previous poster, but she directed me to her blog, to send a message, but I couldn't see how to do this.

Hence my reply to her.

Thank you TC.

We won't know where we are staying until Regent inform us. It just says "TBC" on our itinerary.

Knowing me of old when I fly to the Western side of the USA, I'm likely to be wide awake by 4 or 5 am and don't want to just kick around a hotel all day after being cooped up on a plane all day previously, so hence my question.

Once we know where Regent are overnighting us, I'll have a look for some things to occupy us.

Sorry for the confusion about the messaging that I replied to a previous poster, but she directed me to her blog, to send a message, but I couldn't see how to do this.

Hence my reply to her.

What time do you get in the night before? That might be a good time to go out and see a few things - tire yourselves out and you'll be able to sleep a bit later on the day of embarkation. Just a thought!

What time do you get in the night before? That might be a good time to go out and see a few things - tire yourselves out and you'll be able to sleep a bit later on the day of embarkation. Just a thought!

Regent say they will confirm our flights once they become available, so it will depend on which carriers they use. BA are the first of the big ones at 355 days out from return, but as it will be two long haul flights home, i'm not expecting to hear till March at the earliest.

It's just me having time one my hands looking at things. Will have to be more patient!!

After spending most of my life in Los Angeles, I also agree about the traffic. Not sure what city you are staying in (Long Beach?) because San Pedro is a rather miserable area.

Now, now Jackie I was raised in San Pedro although I left in 1966 never to move back. If you were referring to California, 'miserable' would work! Just joking It was a great place while I lived there. :cool: Every time I visit the traffic gets worse Just like the DC area.:rolleyes:

Now, now Jackie I was raised in San Pedro although I left in 1966 never to move back. If you were referring to California, 'miserable' would work! Just joking It was a great place while I lived there. :cool: Every time I visit the traffic gets worse Just like the DC area.:rolleyes:

Okay - my bad. I was raised in North Hollywood before it became one of the worst places in the valley. Agree that 'miserable' does describe at least Southern California;p

Greetings from South Beach, Boatmans Lady. In my opinion, if you are departing from San Pedro, and have a transfer to the ship, take it.

The port is more than 25 miles from the Intercontinental Hotel, for example. LA traffic is horrible, and the drive isn't the most scenic. The post itself has nothing to offer, as far as we could tell. We have been to LA many times, and visited all the tourist sires. In most cases, once was enough. As Travelcat2 has pointed out, getting anywhere in a certain time is iffy. We just go with the flow. Have a great cruise! Mary

Greetings from South Beach, Boatmans Lady. In my opinion, if you are departing from San Pedro, and have a transfer to the ship, take it.

The port is more than 25 miles from the Intercontinental Hotel, for example. LA traffic is horrible, and the drive isn't the most scenic. The post itself has nothing to offer, as far as we could tell. We have been to LA many times, and visited all the tourist sires. In most cases, once was enough. As Travelcat2 has pointed out, getting anywhere in a certain time is iffy. We just go with the flow. Have a great cruise! Mary

Does anybody have a recommendation for a hotel in LA? We are not taking the included Regent hotel. We do not live in a city where they offer included air so would have to fly to another city to get the included air. We opted out for our convenience. We plan on arriving in LA two days early and want to see the sites. Are looking for a hotel convenient to the sites and the cruise port. We will taxi to the hotel and then to the cruise port. We do not want to "backtrack". Our site seeing will be the HOHO bus. Any suggestions? We have lots of points with Marriott so could get free rooms but have no idea what location we need. Thanks for the help.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a hotel in LA? We are not taking the included Regent hotel. We do not live in a city where they offer included air so would have to fly to another city to get the included air. We opted out for our convenience. We plan on arriving in LA two days early and want to see the sites. Are looking for a hotel convenient to the sites and the cruise port. We will taxi to the hotel and then to the cruise port. We do not want to "backtrack". Our site seeing will be the HOHO bus. Any suggestions? We have lots of points with Marriott so could get free rooms but have no idea what location we need. Thanks for the help.

Los Angeles is HUGE - it would help if you indicated which sites you are interested seeing. There are things to see in Beverly Hills, Orange County, San Fernando Valley, Malibu, Santa Monica, etc. - all more or less on the way to San Pedro but many miles apart. There are plenty of Marriotts but, again, we need to know what types of sites you are looking for.

Must say that L.A. is not a place that I would take the HOHO bus (unless I knew all of the drop-off points and were comfortable being in the areas where they stop). As you likely know, not all of L.A. is safe and you would not want to accidentally wander into the wrong area - not on foot or in a car.

So, basically, there is no place that is close to the port and close to the major sites in Los Angeles. The port is quite a distance from most sites. Long Beach is local and has some thing to see (like the Queen Mary) but, IMO, is not as interesting as many other places.

Just be careful -- Los Angeles is not a walking city and is massive in size. It is over 500 sq. miles and has over 13 million people.

I live about 50 miles north of downtown LA, so I’m familiar with the area. There is no easy hotel recommendation. The HOHO bus does mostly the West LA and Hollywood areas. And, they are not on the way to San Pedro.

To be honest, I have never done the hoho bus. But, I know HOHO bus has different routes, so you need to find out which is of most interest. There is a Marriott in downtown LA, next to LA Live, lots to see and do there. But i don’t think is a hoho bus stop. I believe there is a Marriott in Beverly Hills, which may be on one of the hoho bus routes, or at least close enough. There is a Marriott in Santa Monica, which will be closer to the airport and may be considered on the way to San Pedro, but not really. You may have to take a taxi or bus to a hoho bus stop, thou.

In order to make any recommendations need to know what is really what you want see and do. You can’t see all the touristy areas in two days, because you will spend a lot of time in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boatmans Lady and HotRoot, you may also want to check the West Coast Departures forum for additional information => https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

HotRoot, here is a google link to Marriott properties in the LA area => link

Depending on your budget (points or cash), I would recommend these areas: Santa Monica, Century City/Beverly Hills, or Marina Del Rey. These are all fairly convenient to the airport, and would be a good base for venturing out for sight seeing. You will have some backtracking if you want to visit the Hollywood area, for instance.

There are loads of tour options. See here => link

I am fairly certain some tour companies will pick you up right at your hotel. I do know there are HOHO buses, but as previously stated, you might need to take a taxi/Uber/Lyft over to one of the pick up points, depending on where you stay.

No doubt traffic can be bad, but don't let that fear keep you from seeing some of the great things the area has to offer. Just requires a bit of advance planning, and building in buffers for time. For instance, google maps shows a drive time of about 45 minutes (32 miles) from the Century City/ Beverly Hills area to the port in "light traffic". I'd budget an hour and a half to be safe in the event of heavier traffic. Time of day can make a difference. If you want to arrive at the Port around mid-afternoon, traffic should be lighter than early morning or late afternoon (commute times).

Boatmans Lady and HotRoot, you may also want to check the West Coast Departures forum for additional information => https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

HotRoot, here is a google link to Marriott properties in the LA area => link

Depending on your budget (points or cash), I would recommend these areas: Santa Monica, Century City/Beverly Hills, or Marina Del Rey. These are all fairly convenient to the airport, and would be a good base for venturing out for sight seeing. You will have some backtracking if you want to visit the Hollywood area, for instance.

There are loads of tour options. See here => link

I am fairly certain some tour companies will pick you up right at your hotel. I do know there are HOHO buses, but as previously stated, you might need to take a taxi/Uber/Lyft over to one of the pick up points, depending on where you stay.

No doubt traffic can be bad, but don't let that fear keep you from seeing some of the great things the area has to offer. Just requires a bit of advance planning, and building in buffers for time. For instance, google maps shows a drive time of about 45 minutes (32 miles) from the Century City/ Beverly Hills area to the port in "light traffic". I'd budget an hour and a half to be safe in the event of heavier traffic. Time of day can make a difference. If you want to arrive at the Port around mid-afternoon, traffic should be lighter than early morning or late afternoon (commute times).

Thank you! I will have fun following your links to figure out what we are going to do. I have a year to figure it out.

Get the highest rated Long Beach hotel, where you will be very close to the port. Trust me. There are some really excellent hotels down there.

Actually, staying and eating dinner at the Queen Mary (Sir Winston’s Restaurant) makes sense. Fun. See the Churchill exhibition with sets from the Oscar-nominated movie “Darkest Hour”...

Get the highest rated Long Beach hotel, where you will be very close to the port. Trust me. There are some really excellent hotels down there.

Actually, staying and eating dinner at the Queen Mary (Sir Winston’s Restaurant) makes sense. Fun. See the Churchill exhibition with sets from the Oscar-nominated movie “Darkest Hour”...

Unfortunately we will have no say in where we stay as our hotel is part of our package with Regent as we are flying in from the UK.

I am a native Angeleno and I do love my city. I do not find it "Miserable" whatsoever except for the traffic. There are some areas I would not wander into - parts of Hollywood are included. If you have Marriott points, there is a nice Marriott in Santa Monica. I have taken many of my travel friends for a tour. My usual destinations are Beverly Hills, Santa Monica's 3rd Street Promenade and Pier, Farmer's Market at 3rd and Fairfax, Sunset Blvd, the Getty Museum in Brentwood or Malibu. Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Downtown is actually really nice to walk now near Disney Hall and the Grand Central Market. You can take the new Metro line from Santa Monica to Downtown. In Century City they just redid the entire mall and have an Eataly there which is the hot destination. The pier for Regent is San Pedro (Long Beach pier is only used by Carnival) and if you stayed in Santa Monica, Century City or Beverly Hills, you can walk even after dark but don't venture down a dark alleyway. The ride from those areas even in traffic should be no more than an hour - 90 minutes to be safe

The Bel-Air Hotel is superb and well located between Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. About 30-40 Minutes from LAX, and less than an hour from the port, depending on the time of day.

Unfortunately we will have no say in where we stay as our hotel is part of our package with Regent as we are flying in from the UK.

As of last month Regent was still using the Intercontinental in Century City. Your transfer to the ship should be included.

If you are flying in only the day before, you will have little or no time to do any sightseeing. I would be exhausted from the flight. Assuming you are flying into LAX non-stop; Customs & Immigration at LAX can be dreadful, especially if you arrive with several other flights. It is at least a minimum of 45 minutes from LAX to Century City. If no transfer is provided from LAX to Hotel, get a car service, not a taxi.

There is not much that is in walking distance from Century city except maybe for Museum of Tolerance or the Annenberg Space for Photography.

J