Come from Toronto Stay in Scranton

lisakoivu

Anybody ever do this? We stayed in Parsippany once, may do that again, but Scranton feels more on the way... I know it's nearly 3 hours from Port but we are super early risers (think 4 am on a typical day) and think that it will work. This is for a March 11 sailing of the Breakaway.

Anybody ever do this? We stayed in Parsippany once, may do that again, but Scranton feels more on the way... I know it's nearly 3 hours from Port but we are super early risers (think 4 am on a typical day) and think that it will work. This is for a March 11 sailing of the Breakaway.

You sail on a Sunday. I don't see a problem staying in the Scranton area unless snow is predicted. Make a cancellable plan A for Scranton and a plan B to get at least as far as Parsipanny. In case of bad weather Hotwire can be your friend for a last minute reservation change.

What route do you usually take driving from Toronto to Cape Liberty? It'll be our first time driving and I'm trying to get an idea on different routes....

We drive from London to New York at least once a year, for the last 9 years. We often go one way and come back another. There are two main routes, both are an easy and nice drive. It is a 5 minute difference so take your pick.

If you cross in Lewiston take the 90 over to Syracuse and down the 81/380/80 there are tolls on the 90, but it amounts to about $7US so not a big deal. However there are mountains from Syracus down to Scranton, in winter that may not be as nice, but in fall it is beautiful.

If you cross in Fort Erie and take the 20A, down the 390/86 to Binghamton and then down the 380/80. No tolls this way. But it is not a multi-lane road for most of it so you can't pass if you get behind a Sunday driver.

... There are two main routes, both are an easy and nice drive. It is a 5 minute difference so take your pick.

Lewiston - 90 over to Syracuse and down the 81/380/80 there are tolls on the 90, but ... there are mountains from Syracus down to Scranton, in winter ...

Fort Erie - take the 20A, down the 390/86 to Binghamton and then down the 380/80. No tolls this way - not a multi-lane road for most of it so you can't pass if you get behind a ...

Depending on whereabout in Scranton, PA (just off I-81 South) ... early Sunday AM drive to Cape Liberty is probably 2.5 hours non-stop but, there are still the hills up on 380 down to 80 East until down to the Delaware Water Gap. State DOT (highway) crews do a pretty good job keeping at least one lane passable, unless it's a major storm & of course, all bets off with a blizzard. I would be more comfortable closer to the DWG, making it no more than a 2 hour drive - if not pulling closer into NJ for the night, where there are more & better dining choices - even with a winter storm around the corner.

I've gone up those hills via PA into Triple Cities (Binghamton/Broome County - NY) in quite a few winter storm over the years, it's passable but most definitely, need plenty of extra time if you are on a clock/schedule to meet. All it take is a stranded trailer or bus unable to make the 2nd. half of the uphill run, blocking the single passable lane for everyone until tows & plows/salt trunk can come in to bail everyone out - same is true coming down on I-380 after climbing up the hills - but, DOT highway crews do a good job in the winter months.

Having said that, I would suggest (and my own preference/choice) - stick with the NYST to Syracuse, which is basically flat & well maintained - and, driven that into and out of winter storm (between Erie County & Syracuse ... then, usually down I-81 for NYC) with excellent roadside assistance & motorist alerts - not sure how that toll-free route is (in the winter months). The stretch between Syracuse/Fairgrounds and Binhamton is also well kept - and no tolls, making the Thruway's toll worth it.

It is a long drive coming across & down, especially if you are east of downtown Toronto ... with 2 drivers, cruise control & some well-timed stops for restrooms & meals, and get-out-to-stretch rests - it isn't all that bad ... start out early in the day; and, get as close as you are comfortable with. With the mountain elevations & the fact that it's still winter, please keep your eyes on weather forecast along your route - have a Plan B on leaving earlier than scheduled and different stop at a backup hotel, perhaps closer Parsippany. IMO, it's better to be almost there than to be just on the way, with 3 hours remaining ... as in, what if a major chem or hazmat incidents shut down I-80 at/near the state borders between NJ & PA. Then what.

Case in point - another winter storm watch/warning for NYC tonight, less than 1" forecasted but up in the Poconos (that's up on I-380 & I-80 corridor in PA/NJ) - 6" to 8" of snow expected, making for a messy commute overnight into the morning . Of course, nothing like lake-effect snow in your area.

Whatever you decide, have a safe & pleasant drive and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Edited by mking8288

We are going in March, but I am re-thinking Parsippany. We are also coming from near London, Ontario. Thanks for all your input. We have done this before, three times, just always looking for a different/faster idea.

why not try going thru Buffalo, taking I-90 to Batavia (exit48), then route 98 to route 63 thru Geneseo to I-390 to I-86/route 17 to I-81 south to Scranton.

We live the next town over from Scranton in Dunmore, PA (also directly off 81). It takes us about an hour and 50 min to 2 hours to get to the pier, not 3 hours. However, give extra time if weather is bad to get through the Poconos. We always drive in the morning of and have never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums