Southampton To Heathrow transportation

Off To Sea

We have used International Friends twice. The first time we were in a large bus but it was not filled to capacity so lots of room. We had a guide who took us to Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge and Windsor Castle, then to our hotel at the airport (we had an early flight the next day). The second time, we booked them in a car, from the ship with a stop off at Windsor, then to the airport. Our driver was in a suit and tie, he expertly reassembled my inlaws' wheelchair and took us to two different terminals.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Blacklane private transfers from London to Southampton & from Southampton to the airport. Driver picked us up at the hotel to take us to Southampton and when the ship returned another driver picked us up at the port. It was so easy. Also used them in Paris.

We are on the silhouette arriving on June 9, 2018 in Southampton

We are on the Silhouette as well and will be taking either the train or the National Express bus. Both are good options if you are a confident traveller.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would say that the train is not a great option for Southampton to Heathrow, as you have to switch to a coach in Newbury or travel via London.

The cheapest option is NE coaches - comfortable, reliable and almost door-to-door.

I would say that the train is not a great option for Southampton to Heathrow, as you have to switch to a coach in Newbury or travel via London.

The cheapest option is NE coaches - comfortable, reliable and almost door-to-door.

Not too sure where Newbury comes into it Bob :confused:, but yes, Nat Express coach is direct to Heathrow whereas by train you have to switch to a RailAir coach at (depending on the time) either Woking or Reading.

Train is also about twice the cost (train ticket includes the RailAir coach) and because of that switch it's no quicker than Nat Express.

But because of the frequency and no need to pre-book, the train is a useful Plan B if other arrangements fall foul.

JB :)

• 4 weeks later...
To: off to sea & Braysaway

We (Hal & Barbara) are also on the Silhouette with you. When she ship returns, are you flying home the same day(6/9)?

Live north of NYC

Our email is hs2bs@aol.com

Hi Hal and Barbara

We are off to Oxford for a few days before we fly back to Australia

Regards

Helen & David ( Braysaway)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used Smiths Private Transfer Service in May from Southampton after disembarkation to transport 4 adults to Heathrow.

It worked out great as was price reasonable per couple cost. Driver was there waiting for us. Would not hesitate to use them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BPCruiser:

There are 4 of us wanting to share a ride and cost! Thank you in advance for answering my questions below😁

What time did you disembark and what time did you book your transfer with Smiths?

What size car did you have for 4 adults and luggage?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

BPCruiser:

There are 4 of us wanting to share a ride and cost! Thank you in advance for answering my questions below[emoji16]

What time did you disembark and what time did you book your transfer with Smiths?

What size car did you have for 4 adults and luggage?

Hi Langley, we disembarked I believe at 8:45a and driver picked us up at 9:15ish. If you decide to use Smiths, ask for Simon as your driver (tall Simon) as there are 2 with the company. Super nice, friendly and clean vehicle. Our traveling friends made the booking but it was not a sedan or town car. It was a larger vehicle, more like a van. I sat in front passenger next to driver and other 3 sat on second row and all big pieces of luggage and carry on went in back. He showed up promptly as booked at cruise terminal and got us to Heathrow in a timely fashion thru rush hour morning traffic. Our flight departed 1:40p. We made it in time, checked in and had enough time to sit in BA Lounge prior to our flight. Would use him and Smiths again.

Hi Langley, we disembarked I believe at 8:45a and driver picked us up at 9:15ish. If you decide to use Smiths, ask for Simon as your driver (tall Simon) as there are 2 with the company. Super nice, friendly and clean vehicle. Our traveling friends made the booking but it was not a sedan or town car. It was a larger vehicle, more like a van. I sat in front passenger next to driver and other 3 sat on second row and all big pieces of luggage and carry on went in back. He showed up promptly as booked at cruise terminal and got us to Heathrow in a timely fashion thru rush hour morning traffic. Our flight departed 1:40p. We made it in time, checked in and had enough time to sit in BA Lounge prior to our flight. Would use him and Smiths again.

Awesome, you've made my decision!! Thank you so much, have a great week😁

Awesome, you've made my decision!! Thank you so much, have a great week[emoji16]

You are very welcome. You can go to their web site and I believe look at the various size vehicles. Error on the larger side as it takes a bit of space in back of van to hold 4 large pieces of luggage plus carry on luggage unless you want to sit with excess on your lap for ride which would not be fun. 2nd Row fit 3 people who all were on the more slender side.

It was easy to remember Simon’s name as he is British and I associated his name with Simon Cowell. He jokingly said when he dropped us off and I asked for his business card, replying just ask for the tall good looking Simon and they will know which one you are requesting. [emoji6]

He had a great sense of humor and was quite pleasant to chat with on the long ride.

You are very welcome. You can go to their web site and I believe look at the various size vehicles. Error on the larger side as it takes a bit of space in back of van to hold 4 large pieces of luggage plus carry on luggage unless you want to sit with excess on your lap for ride which would not be fun. 2nd Row fit 3 people who all were on the more slender side.

It was easy to remember Simon’s name as he is British and I associated his name with Simon Cowell. He jokingly said when he dropped us off and I asked for his business card, replying just ask for the tall good looking Simon and they will know which one you are requesting. [emoji6]

He had a great sense of humor and was quite pleasant to chat with on the long ride.

I love Cruise Critic and people like you! You took your time away from daily activities, or honey do list or whatever, to answer a complete strangers question. Thank you... you rock!!

• 1 month later...

We are on Celebrity Silhouette arriving back into Southampton on a Saturday at 6AM (August 4th). We are booked on a BA flight out of Heathrow back to the states at noon. If we can arrange for the first debarking option, is this doable and if so, what are the recommendations for getting from the port to the airport in plenty of time?

Yes - doable, and without trauma.......

Mainly because it's a Saturday - no lemmings cluttering up the road heading for their grindstones in London.

Journey time on a saturday or sunday from ship to LHR is about 90 minutes. And if there's been some major drama that's closed the motorway, the alternates won't be clogged with diverted traffic.

I wouldn't have the same confidence on a weekday.

And most BA flights use Heathrow's T5, which is a few minutes closer to Southampton & no significant airport traffic to deal with.

Even Celebrity's berth (City Cruise Terminal) is the most convenient in Southampton.

So the gods are on your side.

But to be sure you'll still need early unassisted disembarkation (keep your bags in your cabin overnite & schlepp them off the ship yourselves). And you'll need a pre-booked private transfer car waiting for you at the pier for about 7.15am, the time-scale doesn't give you the option of considering buses or trains.

This will give you a head-start, and avoids any lines that sometimes build later for the elevators, gangway, luggage reclaim & immigration. A private transfer will cost around £80 to £90 for the vehicle (not per person).

Try www.smithsforairports.com or www.westquaycars.com or www.aquacars.co.uk

These are all based at the Southampton end, so no risk of the driver getting held up on his way to the pick-up. And they're all frequently used by CC members.

One caveat.

This does presume your being able to get off the ship around 7am.

Ships rarely arrive late at Southampton, and it's a reliable & sheltered port. But there's always the risk of the ship being delayed by mechanical issues or (unlikely in August) heavy seas en-route to Southampton. And the scheduled arrival time of 6am is about an hour later than most arrivals, so the captain has no wiggle-room.

Even if the ship arrives late you'll still likely be OK if you're in the car by 8 to 8.30am.

You will want to be at the airport at least about 90 minutes before your flight. If all's well you'll likely be there almost three hours before your flight time. :)

Yes - doable, and without trauma.......

Mainly because it's a Saturday - no lemmings cluttering up the road heading for their grindstones in London.

Journey time on a saturday or sunday from ship to LHR is about 90 minutes. And if there's been some major drama that's closed the motorway, the alternates won't be clogged with diverted traffic.

I wouldn't have the same confidence on a weekday.

And most BA flights use Heathrow's T5, which is a few minutes closer to Southampton & no significant airport traffic to deal with.

Even Celebrity's berth (City Cruise Terminal) is the most convenient in Southampton.

So the gods are on your side.

But to be sure you'll still need early unassisted disembarkation (keep your bags in your cabin overnite & schlepp them off the ship yourselves). And you'll need a pre-booked private transfer car waiting for you at the pier for about 7.15am, the time-scale doesn't give you the option of considering buses or trains.

This will give you a head-start, and avoids any lines that sometimes build later for the elevators, gangway, luggage reclaim & immigration. A private transfer will cost around £80 to £90 for the vehicle (not per person).

Try www.smithsforairports.com or www.westquaycars.com or www.aquacars.co.uk

These are all based at the Southampton end, so no risk of the driver getting held up on his way to the pick-up. And they're all frequently used by CC members.

One caveat.

This does presume your being able to get off the ship around 7am.

Ships rarely arrive late at Southampton, and it's a reliable & sheltered port. But there's always the risk of the ship being delayed by mechanical issues or (unlikely in August) heavy seas en-route to Southampton. And the scheduled arrival time of 6am is about an hour later than most arrivals, so the captain has no wiggle-room.

Even if the ship arrives late you'll still likely be OK if you're in the car by 8 to 8.30am.

You will want to be at the airport at least about 90 minutes before your flight. If all's well you'll likely be there almost three hours before your flight time. :)

Thank you for the thorough reply and suggestions. I will make arrangements accordingly. And yes, we’re on the BA flight to Austin so terminal 5 it is.

We also have booked Smith's..or will be booking on the 13th of March. What would be an acceptable tip? We are using them both ways for our cruise. Heathrow to Southampton hotel on return Southampton to the Hilton at Heathrow which we will be at for a few day prior to our return to the US.

We also have booked Smith's..or will be booking on the 13th of March. What would be an acceptable tip? We are using them both ways for our cruise. Heathrow to Southampton hotel on return Southampton to the Hilton at Heathrow which we will be at for a few day prior to our return to the US.

Anything from nada upwards - tipping in the UK & Europe isn't the big deal that it is in North America.

Here we tip purely based on the standards, & some simply don't ever tip anyone - and nobody gets chased down the street.

But if you aim not to tip at all you'd better work on your accents :D

5% to 10% max is the norm - from Southampton to Heathrow or Gatwick we usually tip £5.

£10 would be a good tip.

BTW the majority of restaurants in tourist areas, esp central London, add a service charge of 12.5% or more. (that service charge must by law be clearly stated on the menu).

That's not the norm elsewhere in the UK. We try to avoid places which make such a presumption, but if we can't avoid one we don't also leave a tip.

Edit to add. "Hilton at Heathrow for a few days"

If you're planning to spend that time exploring central London do consider a central London hotel. Out at Heathrow can make sense for a one- mebbe 2 - night stop-over but it's a pretty soul-less area of hotels & carparks, and you'll tire of the journey in and out, and the inability to pop back to your hotel for a rest / change of clothes / freshen-up between day & evening.

Edited by John Bull

Anything from nada upwards - tipping in the UK & Europe isn't the big deal that it is in North America.

Here we tip purely based on the standards, & some simply don't ever tip anyone - and nobody gets chased down the street.

But if you aim not to tip at all you'd better work on your accents :D

5% to 10% max is the norm - from Southampton to Heathrow or Gatwick we usually tip £5.

£10 would be a good tip.

BTW the majority of restaurants in tourist areas, esp central London, add a service charge of 12.5% or more. (that service charge must by law be clearly stated on the menu).

That's not the norm elsewhere in the UK. We try to avoid places which make such a presumption, but if we can't avoid one we don't also leave a tip.

Edit to add. "Hilton at Heathrow for a few days"

If you're planning to spend that time exploring central London do consider a central London hotel. Out at Heathrow can make sense for a one- mebbe 2 - night stop-over but it's a pretty soul-less area of hotels & carparks, and you'll tire of the journey in and out, and the inability to pop back to your hotel for a rest / change of clothes / freshen-up between day & evening.

Thank JB, we have been to London a few times. Just need the one day going into the city. Seen so many of the popular spots. Going to do Windsor after the cruise and relax before our trip home. Good to know on the tips!

The wife and I are heading on the Jade from 5/4 to 5/16 (wednesday) for a UK cruise. the boat docks at 8a, our flight is scheduled for 150p at LHR. Is the national express bus from 9:40 to arrive at 12 too late?? btw its Terminal 3.

Edited by ThebigE1

The wife and I are heading on the Jade from 5/4 to 5/16 (wednesday) for a UK cruise. the boat docks at 8a, our flight is scheduled for 150p at LHR. Is the national express bus from 9:40 to arrive at 12 too late?? btw its Terminal 3.

I reckon that's pushing your luck.

At a guess 90% chance you'll be Ok.

For some things 90% is pretty good. But for making a flight???

And you have even less chance of making it to the 7.30 am coach from Southampton.

Just the unfortunate timings of the Nat Express coaches vs your flight time

I think you,d be safer with either a private transfer or a ship's transfer coach - they leave the pier around 8am to 8.30

I reckon that's pushing your luck.

At a guess 90% chance you'll be Ok.

For some things 90% is pretty good. But for making a flight???

And you have even less chance of making it to the 7.30 am coach from Southampton.

Just the unfortunate timings of the Nat Express coaches vs your flight time

I think you,d be safer with either a private transfer or a ship's transfer coach - they leave the pier around 8am to 8.30

yah, i dont know if I want to push my luck with that, its such a late docking time for the jade. I wish there was a site we can match with another couple to split the cost of the private car! its such a significant cost difference between nat exp and the private car.