Am I crazy? DIY Oxford plus Windsor castle the same day from London?

Mkehlb

We want to go to Oxford to do a JRR Tolkien walking tour and then go to the cemetery where he and his wife are buried. I "think" we should take a bus from London. Will there be sufficient time to go to Windsor and tour in the afternoon or am I being unrealistic?

Although there are two very frequent bus services London-Oxford (the X90 and the Oxford Tube), I suggest you use the train, which is quicker, as long as you get the fast service, not a “stopper”, and more comfortable in my opinion..

The train from London Paddington to Oxford will take about an hour. To get from Oxford to Windsor, you would get on a London-bound train and change at Slough for a short connection to Windsor & Eton Central, which also takes about an hour total. To finally return to London you’d go back to Slough from Windsor & Eton Central and change to a London Train -this will take around 30-40 minutes, depending on the connection.

So I see no real difficulty in doing both Oxford and Windsor, although you didn’t say what time and how long the walking tour in Oxford lasts or the time of year (for daylight). I assume the tour includes a pint in the Eagle & Child, which is just one of several reasons I wouldn’t suggest hiring a car for the day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To finally return to London you’d go back to Slough from Windsor & Eton Central and change to a London Train -this will take around 30-40 minutes, depending on the connection.
Perfect plan, there's nothing to see in Oxford.*

To get back from Windsor, it should also be possible to get a train from Windsor and Eton Riverside directly to London Waterloo. This takes about an hour. Depending on where in central London you're going next, this could result in a shorter total journey time than having to make the further connection from London Paddington.

*I am, of course, joking. Oxford is certainly worth at least a day - and possibly more - all on its own.

Perfect plan, there's nothing to see in Oxford.*

To get back from Windsor, it should also be possible to get a train from Windsor and Eton Riverside directly to London Waterloo. This takes about an hour. Depending on where in central London you're going next, this could result in a shorter total journey time than having to make the further connection from London Paddington.

*I am, of course, joking. Oxford is certainly worth at least a day - and possibly more - all on its own.

Good option - I spend half my life on the Great Western mainline, so naturally think in those terms!

Sent from my iPad using Forums