Mediterranean cruise - Celebrity pricing?

spencersmama

Hello all,

I'm looking into booking a Med. cruise for the summer of 2014. As of right now, I am debating between a Celebrity or a Disney cruise. (I've read a lot of posts regarding the differences between X and Disney, so I feel pretty well informed about that. :) ) I'd like your opinion and advice about a couple of questions.

I am leaning toward the Celebrity cruise, because the itinerary is perfect for us. The dates are not ideal, but we could probably work it out. We are taking a Disney Alaskan cruise next month and I was originally planning on doing an onboard rebook for the Disney Med. cruise to get the 10% discount and onboard credit. When I factor in the price savings of rebooking onboard, the price of the Disney is less per night than the price of the Celebrity. However, I realize that Celebrity has sales and promotions that Disney doesn't have.

My main questions are- Does Celebrity have sales that occur at specific times of the year? I am subscribed to a few travel newsletters, so I know Celebrity had the 1,2,3 promotion this winter/spring for 2013 summer sailings. Is that an annual promotion? If I decide to book Celebrity and the price drops or they start a promotion, can I cancel the old reservations and rebook to get the discounts?

Our dates are limited. I'm trying to balance out saving $ on the cruise, getting a good deal on airfare for 5 people, and trying to get to our top destination spots.

Not related, but curious - does Celebrity give any discounts or OBC with onboard rebooking for future cruises?

Thanks for the help!

I no longer book my cruises in advance. Due to industry over-capacity, high airfare costs and a weak global economy, the cruise lines have been having trouble selling staterooms and the best deals tend to be after final payment. So for my last three cruises, I have booked airfare that "boxes" several possible cruise itineraries to give me maximum flexibility. Then after final payment, the cruise lines have their massive fire-sales on staterooms, and then I pounce.

This strategy has several advantages:

1. Lowest possible cruise pricing via guarantees

2. Time value of money

3. Maximum leverage for obtaining subsequent upgrades or promotions, because you still haven't paid the credit card bill yet!

4. Generally coincides with best/lowest airfare timeframe too (i.e. 6-10 weeks out).

Some disadvantages:

1. Higher risk, higher stress. If your particular cruise is popular, prices might not drop.

2. Not a good fit for those who want specific staterooms or locations.

I might stick with Disney since its a known for you with both itinerary and time frame you can go. We did the Baltics with DCL we booked on-board and got OBC as the price dropped from when we booked which ended up paying for most of our excursions.

With Celebrity you'd chance it by hoping for a sale. I booked our trip last fall for the Med in July without any promotions. If I booked during the 123 deal, I would have paid more than its costing me including beverage packages purchased on my own at full price.

Since this is our first celebrity sailing in a few weeks I can't answer the booking on-board question. I also didn't do any changes so I don't know about canceling reservations.

Also I'd look at airfare. I don't know if both cruises you're looking at depart from the same port, but you might want to check if they are different departures if flights to one cost more than the other. Seriously my airfare for 4 is costing more than the cruise did!

So for my last three cruises, I have booked airfare that "boxes" several possible cruise itineraries to give me maximum flexibility.

I have thought about doing that. Have you had any problems booking private tour companies for excursions when you wait?

I might stick with Disney since its a known for you with both itinerary and time frame you can go. We did the Baltics with DCL we booked on-board and got OBC as the price dropped from when we booked which ended up paying for most of our excursions.

With Celebrity you'd chance it by hoping for a sale. I booked our trip last fall for the Med in July without any promotions. If I booked during the 123 deal, I would have paid more than its costing me including beverage packages purchased on my own at full price.

Since this is our first celebrity sailing in a few weeks I can't answer the booking on-board question. I also didn't do any changes so I don't know about canceling reservations.

Also I'd look at airfare. I don't know if both cruises you're looking at depart from the same port, but you might want to check if they are different departures if flights to one cost more than the other. Seriously my airfare for 4 is costing more than the cruise did!

I believe you about the airfare! I wanted to go to Europe the last couple of summers, but the airfare is so crazy. It's hard to justify spending that much money!

I will probably compare airfare prices next month before I leave on the Disney cruise. That way I'll have an idea of which cruise may be the better deal. The Celebrity cruise leaves from Istanbul. I know I have seen low priced airfare to Istanbul. I just don't know if I'll be able to find low airfare in the height of the tourist season. Both the return on Celebrity and both ways on Disney are from Italy. So that will probably be a wash.

I have thought about doing that. Have you had any problems booking private tour companies for excursions when you wait?
I am not having many issues with tour companies because most of them are also seeing fewer bookings this season. It all seems to go hand in hand!

Ohm and thanks for the info on the price of your cruise, hansolosmom. It's interesting that you paid less for your cruise by booking early before all the sales!
I can assure you that she did not get the best pricing by booking early. I have been watching the pricing on many of X's summer Med sailings like a hawk, and nearly every long cruise (i.e. 10 or more nights) has had a post final-payment price drop in the range of a 40-60%. For example, a verandah guarantee on our 7/19 sailing is currently $1,099 pp! How about an Aqua Class guarantee for $1,499pp? A verandah guarantee on the Reflection's 7/19 sailing is currently only $1,149 pp. And this is happening on almost all of X's Med sailings--you could've or still can score a balcony for $999-$1,299pp. Pay a few bucks more and get Concierge or Aqua class. And to rub salt in the wounds of early bookers, X still will give you the 123 promo in many cases too. Insanely cheap pricing for a peak summer cruise vacation!

Of course none of this is an assurance that the current glut and fire-sale pricing will be this way next year or even this fall. But given recent history and the fact that the pricing dynamics will not change for the foreseeable future, I will be happy to pay 30% next year even if pricing goes up because I will have already benefited from waiting until after final payment a few times already! :)

We kind of fall into the Terpnut camp. We do book some cruises far in advance when we see a good deal (this is often a good strategy on HA) but many other times we will wait until inside the final booking period. Since we are retired we do have the flexibility to wait and do things at the last minute, and if something does not open-up on one cruise there are always other cruise options (we have cruised on 14 cruise lines) or just land trips. As to excursions (cruise ship or private) that is not much of an issue for us since we seldom take any excursion. Having traveled a lot over the past forty+ years we generally prefer to do our own thing. In Europe we make liberal use of public transit or rental cars. The result is we generally save a lot of money over excursions and we can go where we want, when we want, with whom we want. This kind of independent travel is not for everyone, but for us, anything that helps us avoid being part of a "cattle drive" (group excursion) is a good thing :)

Hank

I have to disagree... I booked our Mediterranean cruise over a year in advance on a double upgrade sale. Since then I have been upgraded to aquaclass, have 400 OBC and drink packages for both of us and I never had to pay a penny more. If you book early you can continue to add each promotion as it comes along. And yes, our cost was what was listed above by the person who said to wait to the end. I paid that, but also have tons of credit and 2 drink packages.

I have to disagree... I booked our Mediterranean cruise over a year in advance on a double upgrade sale. Since then I have been upgraded to aquaclass, have 400 OBC and drink packages for both of us and I never had to pay a penny more. If you book early you can continue to add each promotion as it comes along. And yes, our cost was what was listed above by the person who said to wait to the end. I paid that, but also have tons of credit and 2 drink packages.
I'm not sure how you got <$100/day/person verandah pricing on a summer Med cruise over a year in advance, but even if you did, last-minute bookers are getting the same or lower fare with all the same promos (OBC, free gratuities, beverage packages), AND they have the time value of their money!

I just called each time that I thought something might apply. It became like a game... How much could I get?!

I think for some people the safety of knowing that it is booked and that you like your room number is worth more than your time. For some, waiting until the end can be stressful and certain rooms are booked.

I just called each time that I thought something might apply. It became like a game... How much could I get?!

I think for some people the safety of knowing that it is booked and that you like your room number is worth more than your time. For some, waiting until the end can be stressful and certain rooms are booked.

That strategy is great and I've done it before too. The problem with it is that, after final payment, the cruise line usually won't give you any additional price drops or add new promos. And lately, X's lowest pricing is always within 6-10 weeks of sailing!

We have jumped onto the last minute bandwagon too. Our Mediterranean cruise leaving next week was booked about a month ago, concierge guarantee for $1099 on the Silhouette for 11 nights. Airfare was slightly higher than if we had been watching for the best price for 9 months but still not too high to wipe out our savings on the cruise. We had originally booked a similar 12 night itinerary for $1799 for a balcony. As far as private excursions, everything we wanted was available and easy to book.

We are planning on doing the same next year with an eye toward a British Isles and/or Norway cruise.

On the other hand though, we jumped on an amazing deal for New England this fall - $549 unobstructed oceanview for seven nights, we haven't seen the same for less than $1000 since and only suites are available for this cruise now (final payment is next month). We booked in February and have been able to watch airfare and land a great deal on it too.

I guess none of this really answers the OP's questions, but I do find it is interesting to read about other people's booking strategies. It is a bit more difficult when you can't be totally flexible with dates or when you have 5 people traveling. With just two of us, it is easier to find what we need.

Ohm and thanks for the info on the price of your cruise, hansolosmom. It's interesting that you paid less for your cruise by booking early before all the sales!

Actually, just to throw a spanner into the mix the reverse happened to us!!

As you can see from my sig (which I can't seem to change!!)we booked in September for a June cruise with Celebrity, an inside cabin with no promotions. Due to family illness we had to cancel, when I rebooked the cruise we are doing now, (same cruise just different dates and in July so in the school holidays which would be dearer) I got a balcony, free gratuities, free drinks packages and a large amount of OBC for less than we had originally booked for.

So, I won't be booking early again!!

We have jumped onto the last minute bandwagon too. Our Mediterranean cruise leaving next week was booked about a month ago, concierge guarantee for $1099 on the Silhouette for 11 nights. Airfare was slightly higher than if we had been watching for the best price for 9 months but still not too high to wipe out our savings on the cruise. We had originally booked a similar 12 night itinerary for $1799 for a balcony. As far as private excursions, everything we wanted was available and easy to book.

We are planning on doing the same next year with an eye toward a British Isles and/or Norway cruise.

On the other hand though, we jumped on an amazing deal for New England this fall - $549 unobstructed oceanview for seven nights, we haven't seen the same for less than $1000 since and only suites are available for this cruise now (final payment is next month). We booked in February and have been able to watch airfare and land a great deal on it too.

I guess none of this really answers the OP's questions, but I do find it is interesting to read about other people's booking strategies. It is a bit more difficult when you can't be totally flexible with dates or when you have 5 people traveling. With just two of us, it is easier to find what we need.

Sounds like you scored a great deal on your Med cruise too! And for your September cruise, it's good to know that X will occasionally offer a good deal that far out! By being vigilant and flexible, it sounds like you've been able to have your cake and eat it too! :)

You're right about flexibility being important. A couple years ago, we were not as flexible as we are a family of four with children. We always needed and booked connecting staterooms, so we could never take advantage of post final payment guarantee sale deals. Now that the kids are older, we are more flexible. But the interesting thing I learned this year (at least about X), is that at least with a very good travel agent, even when booking two guarantees, we can still request (and get) stateroom assignments that are adjoining! I guess I had been afraid of guarantees for no reason!

I echo the "after final payment" strategy. Terpnut's post is dead on with what I have been doing the past couple years. I have gotten some great deals this way. It isn't just Celebrity either. I grabbed an awesome deal on my Greek Isles cruise on NCL last year. I simpley watched the cruise the year before and noted that every sailing went way down after final payment. So the next year, I just waited it out. I just booked a Norway cruise on Celebrity that was a great buy as well. I also just did it with my med cruise a couple weeks ago. That was a ridiculous price.

In the current paradigm, cruise lines make a crap load of money off early bookers and probably lose money on last-minute customers. As early bookers increasingly learn how they are being screwed, more and more will wait until after final payment to book. Eventually ships would be 75%-80% empty within 10 weeks of sailing! This trend can't continue forever.

I think as more people become savvy about not booking early and cruise lines condition customers to book only after final payment, the cruise lines will be forced to either offer better pricing early and/or offer assurances they will honor price drops after final payment, all the way to the date of sailing. I'm skeptical about the latter.

I am not having many issues with tour companies because most of them are also seeing fewer bookings this season. It all seems to go hand in hand!

I can assure you that she did not get the best pricing by booking early. I have been watching the pricing on many of X's summer Med sailings like a hawk, and nearly every long cruise (i.e. 10 or more nights) has had a post final-payment price drop in the range of a 40-60%. For example, a verandah guarantee on our 7/19 sailing is currently $1,099 pp! How about an Aqua Class guarantee for $1,499pp? A verandah guarantee on the Reflection's 7/19 sailing is currently only $1,149 pp. And this is happening on almost all of X's Med sailings--you could've or still can score a balcony for $999-$1,299pp. Pay a few bucks more and get Concierge or Aqua class. And to rub salt in the wounds of early bookers, X still will give you the 123 promo in many cases too. Insanely cheap pricing for a peak summer cruise vacation!

Of course none of this is an assurance that the current glut and fire-sale pricing will be this way next year or even this fall. But given recent history and the fact that the pricing dynamics will not change for the foreseeable future, I will be happy to pay 30% next year even if pricing goes up because I will have already benefited from waiting until after final payment a few times already! :)

Would you like to see my CC receipts? If I booked a comparable room today it's around $8k unless I did a guarantee which is $5500 or so. I paid $6k and chose my room. That extra $ has paid for my drink packages with plenty to spare. So don't go around saying there's no way because there is!

Also I would think the OP wouldn't be looking at guarantee rooms since there's 5 of them. My guess would be connecting rooms or perhaps a suite.

I believe you about the airfare! I wanted to go to Europe the last couple of summers, but the airfare is so crazy. It's hard to justify spending that much money!

I will probably compare airfare prices next month before I leave on the Disney cruise. That way I'll have an idea of which cruise may be the better deal. The Celebrity cruise leaves from Istanbul. I know I have seen low priced airfare to Istanbul. I just don't know if I'll be able to find low airfare in the height of the tourist season. Both the return on Celebrity and both ways on Disney are from Italy. So that will probably be a wash.

It's funny you say that, because we've been wanting to do Alaska which for whatever reason when I look at airfare is always $$

Liza, What you are doing is fine and usually works well up until you make your final payment. After the final payment, you can not normally get the benefit of last minute specials (if any) which are usually specific for new bookings only. Although we generally follow a booking pattern similar to you, we also take advantage of some of these last minute specials which can be absolutely fantastic. Probably the best deal we ever had was when we snagged a 16 day RCI cruise for about $44 per passenger day....and this was for a high category balcony. Since we were Diamond with RCI we probably drank that much per day in booze (in those days we had access to their Concierge Lounge with free cocktail parties daily). In addition, we were able to get a $250 stockholder credit on that cruise. In the end we figure that RCI paid us to take that trip. We have also booked a couple of last minute Celebrity cruises where the cost for per passenger day was well under $100 for a veranda. Does the last minute strategy always work? Nope! But when it does the savings are quite amazing.

Hank

Would you like to see my CC receipts? If I booked a comparable room today it's around $8k unless I did a guarantee which is $5500 or so. I paid $6k and chose my room. That extra $ has paid for my drink packages with plenty to spare. So don't go around saying there's no way because there is!

Also I would think the OP wouldn't be looking at guarantee rooms since there's 5 of them. My guess would be connecting rooms or perhaps a suite.

So what sailing are you on? Every one of Reflection's July sailings are currently between $1,149 to $1,999pp verandah guarantees (that's under $4k per verandah for even the most expensive July sailing), but more importantly, the pricing has been even lower at some point over the past few weeks. And the irony is, Reflection seems to be selling well compared to X's other itineraries!

If you have been reading my other posts carefully, you should know that, when you book after final payment, you can book guarantees AND request immediate and specific stateroom assignments! For example, as a family of four, we requested and got adjoining staterooms. And thanks to a great travel agent, we got all the promos too. So it is possible to have your cake and eat it to.

But my main point again is: For the lowest pricing on the majority of Med itineraries this summer season, you definitely must book within 6-10 weeks immediately prior to sailing!

Liza, What you are doing is fine and usually works well up until you make your final payment. After the final payment, you can not normally get the benefit of last minute specials (if any) which are usually specific for new bookings only. Although we generally follow a booking pattern similar to you, we also take advantage of some of these last minute specials which can be absolutely fantastic. Probably the best deal we ever had was when we snagged a 16 day RCI cruise for about $44 per passenger day....and this was for a high category balcony. Since we were Diamond with RCI we probably drank that much per day in booze (in those days we had access to their Concierge Lounge with free cocktail parties daily). In addition, we were able to get a $250 stockholder credit on that cruise. In the end we figure that RCI paid us to take that trip. We have also booked a couple of last minute Celebrity cruises where the cost for per passenger day was well under $100 for a veranda. Does the last minute strategy always work? Nope! But when it does the savings are quite amazing.

Hank

I think the best strategy is a hybrid whereby you check prices frequently and book something early. Then close to final payment, you do an analysis with pricing trends, open staterooms, etc. If you determine that there is a high supply of staterooms, there's news of a major cruise ship disaster, the economy is bad, etc. (like this summerseason), you cancel the existing booking and wait out the inevitable post-final payment price drops and sales. If you happen to score a great early booking price, you just keep it.

Of course, if you are retired and totally flexible like Hank, then you just jump on last-minute great deals when they pop up! :)

I don't care about adjoining rooms. My kids are 16 and 13 now. On the cruise we have booked next month, DH and I have a balcony and the kids have an inside across the hall and down a couple of doors. The 5th person is my mother. She decided to book her own cabin.

I wanted a balcony for this Alaskan cruise - it's over our 20th anniversary. But next year I don't care about the cabin. I'd rather save money and book private tours such as romeinlimo at the various ports, to try to maximize my sightseeing time.

OP,

A lot depends on other factors.

I'm in the book early camp, most of the time. Part of the reason is that I still work full time, and need to schedule vacation time around certain dates at work. As a result, I am booking early - currently as soon as the schedule comes out. I did one last minute guarantee recently, and it was a good price, but the only reason I was looking was due to airfare credit I needed to use or lose.

At this point, most of the cruises I've booked ahead of time haven't changed price. The Reflection cruise that I took in Feb 2013 did not go down for the category that I booked. Since I had booked at a "five-star" rate, I probably could have gotten the beverage package added, but I had already gotten decent OBC from Celebrity, and had purchased beverage packages when they had run a 10% off sale in June 2012.

So far, my Equinox cruise in 2014 has not gone down in price. When they announced the 321GO! sale, I was able to have the beverage package added, although I had to give up some OBC to get it.

I booked summer 2014 in Europe as soon as the sailing schedule was released. I had purchase an "Open Passage" certificate while on board, so I received some OBC from it. This way, I can look for my airfare and purchase it when I am comfortable with the price, and I can watch for discounts. If I don't get a discount from the price I paid, I'll be fine - I got the time I need.

It is all a huge combination of factors, the time, the cabin you want, etc. The 321GO! was new in January 2013. Will they offer it again? Who knows! In 2012, they offered drink package sales, and they haven't offered those since they started giving away the packages. In 2012, when the schedules were first released, they offered generous OBC for Captain's Club members who booked early. This year, they offered a small discount instead.

You asked if there were perks to booking on board. Yes, there can be. They don't necessarily offer a discount, but they do offer a cabin upgrade and OBC for booking on board.

Lastly, you mentioned that you are a family of five. I recommend that you look into one of the FV Balcony cabins. They are at the very front of the ship, so if there is a probability of sea-sickness you may not want one, but they offer a larger cabin, including two bedrooms - one with a king bed and one with two bunks, plus the couch is then used as a bed for one person. They have a small dining table in the room along with the couch and chair. They offer a lot of space. The cost for the first two people is higher than a standard balcony, but the cost for passengers 3, 4 and 5 is a good price. For a similar trip, we are actually still debating between the rooms we have booked (an inside and a balcony) and switching to the FV. The pricing is very similar.

Archived