Now I'm Disappointed in New Locks Cruise

LostFan#1

DH and I were looking for a getaway cruise over Thanksgiving, and the Caribbean Princess partial transit (new locks) Nov. 20 appealed to us for dates and price. The more I read on these boards, though, the more I am wishing we had a cruise going through the old locks. But we're committed now.

So, my question is this: were we to take the excursion listed below, would we be going through the old locks? Would this excursion be the next best thing, since we're transiting on the new locks?

Experience the full wonder of the Panama Canal with a crossing of the canal by tour boat on this daylong adventure. Travel by ship's tender to the Gatun Yacht Club, where you will board an air-conditioned transportation for the narrated drive through the isthmus to the small village of Gamboa. From Gamboa, embark on your ferry tour boat for a transit of the canal through two more sets of locks. Cross the Gaillard Cut and enter the Pedro Miguel Locks, which lower your vessel 28 feet on its way to the Pacific. Your boat will settle on Miraflores Lake. Sail across Miraflores Lake to the Miraflores Locks. A light lunch is available during your scenic cruise of the lake and locks. Your cruise ends at the port of Balboa in Panama City, where you board your air-conditioned transportation for the return trip to the ship via the new four-lane highway.

Thank you,

Debbie

Actually you may have swerved into a best of both worlds solution:D. Your cruise and shorex will give an excellent sampling of both the new and the gently used. While the tour description is essentially accurate, just be aware that it can and often does operate in the opposite direction. Either direction is equally rewarding. BTW, the Caribbean Princess just made her initial transit through the new Agua Clara Locks this past Thursday, there are pictures on this and the Princess forum if you want a preview.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2557951

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2557949

Thank you for the encouraging words. I am hesitant to look at ay preview photos as I want to be surprised. I’m the same way about ports we’re visiting that are new to us.

I do want to verify though - the excursion I referenced does take us through the old locks?

Thank you for the encouraging words. I am hesitant to look at ay preview photos as I want to be surprised. I’m the same way about ports we’re visiting that are new to us.

I do want to verify though - the excursion I referenced does take us through the old locks?

Yes it does.

But it is fun to peak at the presents before Christmas!!!

We just got off the Caribbean Princess today and took that tour. I hope they work the kinks out of the tour because it was a cluster@#$$%^! There were 8 busses totalling 300 people. Bus 1 stopped for an iguana and bus 2 rammed into him. Fortunately they had 2 extra busses following the 8. Then we got to the ferry and the ferry wouldn't let us on. We waited for over 1.5 hrs with no water or bathrooms. People were going out behind trees to relieve themselves. (complete with fireants) It was 3:00 before we started boarding the ferry. The first set of locks were amazing. 2nd set was in the dark. We didn't get back to ship until 9:45, holding up the ship for 2.5 hours. This meant we got to Limon 2 hours late and they had to redo entire excursion schedule. Almost everyone went to excursion desk to complain and Princess was appalled. They ended up giving everyone 50% refund.

There were 300on the ferry and it was really crowded. It could have been amazing. Anyway I hope they fix it.

That sounds horrific! With Princess having to refund that much money, surely fixing the mess will be a priority. I have booked the excursion so will definitely be hoping for the best. Seeing locks after dark makes no sense at all.

Thank for your review!

Sorry to hear about your experience. If there is a common link to the complaints for this shore excursion, it is returning late to the ship. However yours just may be in record territory! Just a couple of questions if you don't mind... what time did you tender off the ship to begin the tour and do remember where you met the ship after you returned from the tour? Was it Colon or Cristobal?

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your experience. If there is a common link to the complaints for this shore excursion, it is returning late to the ship. However yours just may be in record territory! Just a couple of questions if you don't mind... what time did you tender off the ship to begin the tour and do remember where you met the ship after you returned from the tour? Was it Colon or Cristobal?

Thanks

We tendered off at 10:45. We didn't board the ferry until after 3:00. We were at Colon which was a shipping port. If there were vendors and such, we would have no way of knowing because the port was closed when we returned at 9:45 ish. Princess handled it well and assured us that they would get to the bottom of the mess.

While that time is a wee bit on the late side to begin that particular shorex, but it is not that late. Ships using the old locks often times start tendering between 9 to 10, so I don't think the start time is a the root of the late return. Would be nice if Princess lets you know what happened, but I doubt they will.

While that time is a wee bit on the late side to begin that particular shorex, but it is not that late. Ships using the old locks often times start tendering between 9 to 10, so I don't think the start time is a the root of the late return. Would be nice if Princess lets you know what happened, but I doubt they will.

It wasn't Princess fault. The tour company was the culprit. The ferry captain was 1.5 hr late. We were already an hour behind getting there. We received 2 letters from Princess assuring us that they were investigating.

Princess handled it in a professional and courteous manner

Glad Princess was responsive to the problem, they like you, are pretty much at the mercy of using the only service available for that tour. There isn't any real alternatives of operators for this particular tour. Hopefully Princess will be able to a some arm twisting to minimize future occurrences.