How to Spend a Few Days in Tahiti Pre-Cruise

mrmusicman

We will be arriving in Tahiti Sunday April 29 at 9:30 pm for the 11 night that departs Thursday May 3. Any suggestions regarding how we should spend those pre-cruise days? I posted this same message in the Pacific Islands Port of Call Board, but got no response...

Thanks!!

We will be arriving in Tahiti Sunday April 29 at 9:30 pm for the 11 night that departs Thursday May 3. Any suggestions regarding how we should spend those pre-cruise days? I posted this same message in the Pacific Islands Port of Call Board, but got no response...

Thanks!!

We are doing a similar thing. After combing thru these boards, here is my suggestion. I have never been there. I have only read the boards. So keep that in mind.

When you arrive so late in PPT, I would make the first night easy and stay at Intercontinental Tahiti. The overwater bungalows are the best, but arriving so late it probably wouldn’t be worth the extra money. Most people on these boards agree it is the best. There is no shuttle so you must take a taxi.

In the late morning after check out, I would take the ferry to Moorea. I would stay in the overwater bungalows at Hilton Moorea. People from the boards highly recommend to get out of Papeete for a much more tropical feel. Moorea is the easiest because of the ferry

The Hilton has expensive food and drink, but local restaurants provide free transportation to dinner. The Hilton also provides snorkeling gear, kayaks, paddle boards, etc. most people on the boards recommend Alberts for touring or car rental. Also a lot recommend MAC Moorea activities center.

When it is time for your cruise, check out of the Hilton and take the ferry back to Papeete. The drop off for the ferry and the port for the ships are close.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You only have 3 days, so I'd go to Moorea if I were you. Inter-island flights are surprisingly expensive ($400 RT to Bora Bora), and Moorea is the only island you can get to without an inter-island flight. Just take the ferry, which conveniently departs and returns right next to the Papeete cruise ship dock. Also, Moorea is a magically gorgeous island worth spending 3 days on, and it's less expensive than Bora Bora. Rent a car on Moorea through Albert's Transport.

Unless you require luxury accommodations, I'd recommend spending your first night at the Fare Suisse pension in Papeete. We just stayed there overnight on our way to Bora Bora a week ago and it was just $103 per night . . . and that included the airport pickup and drop-off. Unbelievable! It's very basic accommodation, but very professionally run and you can get free transport from the airport and to the port for your ferry. They also serve a nice continental breakfast each morning for $10 per person.

We arrived 8 days before!!! We arrived late at night . We spend 3 nights in Papeete in a Airbnb facing the market. Great choice. We took the first day to relax, walk over the small shopping centre (Carrefour) to get a SIM card for my phone (vini) and just stroll around town. 2nd day, we rented a car (avispacificcar) and toured the west side of the island. 3rd day was Bastille day (Julyu 14). We attended and participated in the different event (nice parade and display). On the 4th day, we went to Moorea (Les Tipaniers). Not Over the water bungalow but right on the beach. Spend 4 night there. We had also a rental car. Toured the island, went ATV, Sea-doos and whale watching. We speak French so language was not an issue.

You definitively have to try dinner at Les Roulottes near the cruise terminal. Yummy food.

Trip photo before the cruise: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2p8LS5

PS. The town of Papeete is presently in the process of upgrading the whole cruise area to accomodate bigger ship in the future. You may see construction zone around.

Best News outlet (in French) for Polynesia: http://www.ladepeche.pf/ and https://www.tntv.pf/actualitetahiti/

Cheers,