Transportation to Horseshoe Bay and Shopping?

jetta8300

That has been discussed on this board fairly often. Don't know why you could not find it. They are good on buses and ferries like the tokens. Problem for those whose ships dock at the Royal Navel Dockyard is that the ticket books are not sold at the Dockyard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are now on my ignore list. How dare anyone ask a question!!

Enough already can we get back on topic, Transportation to Horseshoe Bay and Shopping? especially the Shopping part which is my wife's favorite?

There are many shops right in port....or you can take the ferry into Hamilton. Hamiltons ferry will dock right on Front Street. Most of the stores are higher end. On the "side" streets there are "less expensive" souvenir shops. The restaurants and bars are expensive in Hamilton also. Bermuda is not cheap. The ferry ride is about 20 minutes and great for a photo op. Gorgeous homes on the water.

There are buses, shuttles and taxi's to take you right to Horseshoe Bay....or any other beach you want to go to. Most do not have facilities, but HB does...and it is the most beautiful.

If you are overnight...and in Hamilton.....make sure you look at the big board at the dock to see the times that the ferry goes back to the dock yard. It stops running at a certain time and you don't want to miss the last one.

If you are overnight and want to have a good time....SNORKEL BEACH, which is right at the end of the pier (big sign. you can't miss it) They have a beach party almost every night. Even the ships crew (if they are off that night) attends. I have insomnia and always sit on my balcony and watch everyone "teetering" :D back to the ship.

Any questions, I would be happy to help. Have been there many times.:)

I think the most worry free transportation solution in Bermuda for a 3 day stop is to plan on using public transportation days 1 and 2 and to do things nearer the dockyard on day 3. As soon as you walk off the ship you walk through a building, you can buy the 2 day transportation pass at that building- they are $31.50 per person and they take US cash. The passes are good for unlimited travel on ferries or buses (not for shuttles or cabs). Believe me I was worried about transportation when planning out trip but everything worked out smoothly. If you have any specific guestions I will gladly answer them, also read my review of our trip a few weeks ago under the Carnival Pride forum. We did lots of cool things and some of the best were free.

There are many shops right in port....or you can take the ferry into Hamilton. Hamiltons ferry will dock right on Front Street. Most of the stores are higher end. On the "side" streets there are "less expensive" souvenir shops. The restaurants and bars are expensive in Hamilton also. Bermuda is not cheap. The ferry ride is about 20 minutes and great for a photo op. Gorgeous homes on the water.

There are two new shops open at the Dockyard selling official America's Cup mercandise.

I think the most worry free transportation solution in Bermuda for a 3 day stop is to plan on using public transportation days 1 and 2 and to do things nearer the dockyard on day 3. As soon as you walk off the ship you walk through a building, you can buy the 2 day transportation pass at that building- they are $31.50 per person and they take US cash. The passes are good for unlimited travel on ferries or buses (not for shuttles or cabs). Believe me I was worried about transportation when planning out trip but everything worked out smoothly. If you have any specific guestions I will gladly answer them, also read my review of our trip a few weeks ago under the Carnival Pride forum. We did lots of cool things and some of the best were free.

For only going to Horseshoe Beach the minibus shuttles are the best way. They are available after you walk off the dock proper, no waiting for buses and they go to the bottom of the hill at Horseshoe. $7 each way. I don't get the passes anymore. I buy tokens for $4.50 for the ferries and take the shuttles to the beach. For example this year I did Horseshoe on day 1 and day 3. Took the shuttles. Did St. George's on day 2 with tokens for the ferry. Most people don't need the unlimited passes and will spend less buying individual tokens for ferries or buses. The unlimited passes are best for those doing a lot of hopping on and off.

I think the most worry free transportation solution in Bermuda for a 3 day stop is to plan on using public transportation days 1 and 2 and to do things nearer the dockyard on day 3. As soon as you walk off the ship you walk through a building, you can buy the 2 day transportation pass at that building- they are $31.50 per person and they take US cash. The passes are good for unlimited travel on ferries or buses (not for shuttles or cabs).

So according to this site, it says that a 2 day pass isn't available at the Dockyard, only a 1 day .. did you find that to be false when you went? Am I interpreting it the wrong way? (Where it says "updated April 2016)

https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000092.htm

And that 3-day plan was what we're doing, don't tell everyone else to do that too! ;)

So according to this site, it says that a 2 day pass isn't available at the Dockyard, only a 1 day .. did you find that to be false when you went? Am I interpreting it the wrong way? (Where it says "updated April 2016)

And that 3-day plan was what we're doing, don't tell everyone else to do that too! ;)

That web site is in India. Has many inaccuracies. It can't be relied on. But what it says is based on what Bermuda had planned in April to sell this cruise season, 2016 at the Dockyard. Only one day passes. But after many complaints they reversed that and they have been selling the two day passes and tokens at the Dockyard this year. I guess Raj didn't update his web site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Unless you're going to ride busses and ferries a lot in a day, it might be cheaper to use tokens. You can also just pay $5.00 cash when your board the ferry. They don't talk about it, but they take exact cash on ferries. I did it on our cruise.

The busses are fine, but they are very slow and very crowded at times. The $7 horseshoe beach shuttle is great.

I was there September 7th 2016- you can now buy the pass as soon a you get off the ship. I was also surprised how close the Ferry Dock was, just a quick walk away. It may be more economical to pay as you go, but I liked knowing that if I needed a bus or ferry it was accessible by tge 2 day pass. I purposely avoided Horseshoe Beach coming right off the ship becaus I knew it would be crowded, insteadvwe took thw Ferry to Hamilton and then the bus to Coco Reef Resort (Elbow Beach) stayed there most of the day and then hit Horseshoe on the bus back and staye there about an hour.

Unless you're going to ride busses and ferries a lot in a day, it might be cheaper to use tokens. You can also just pay $5.00 cash when your board the ferry. They don't talk about it, but they take exact cash on ferries. I did it on our cruise.

The busses are fine, but they are very slow and very crowded at times. The $7 horseshoe beach shuttle is great.

I did the math and it would only save a small amount - like $5 total? I think it would be better for us to just get the pass (to ensure we never have to worry about change, and in case we decide to go somewhere additional) But thank you!

I was there September 7th 2016- you can now buy the pass as soon a you get off the ship. I was also surprised how close the Ferry Dock was, just a quick walk away. It may be more economical to pay as you go, but I liked knowing that if I needed a bus or ferry it was accessible by tge 2 day pass. I purposely avoided Horseshoe Beach coming right off the ship becaus I knew it would be crowded, insteadvwe took thw Ferry to Hamilton and then the bus to Coco Reef Resort (Elbow Beach) stayed there most of the day and then hit Horseshoe on the bus back and staye there about an hour.

Thanks, good to know. I think we're doing Horseshoe on our last day, and part of NCL (only to ensure a timely return) so I'm hoping for a less crowded experience than what I hear about.

Thanks, good to know. I think we're doing Horseshoe on our last day, and part of NCL (only to ensure a timely return) so I'm hoping for a less crowded experience than what I hear about.

Horseshoe is a definite must see, even on crowded days if you walk to the left past the rock formations yoi can find tranquility. I am not a big fan of crowds, that's why I don't suggest going Day 1. If you want see something unique and nobody has mobility issues, there is a really cool place called 'Glass Beach' about 1 1/2 mile walk from the dockyard. While glass beach is not a good beach for swimming, it is an excellent snorkelling beach. There is also 'Snorkel Park Beach' justva couple hundred yards from where you dock. It is everything I dislike in a beach; crowds, bars and loud music- butvthe snorkeling there is outstanding because the depths vary in a short distance. If you have any more questions let me know. And you are right, you may save a few dollars paying as you travel, but having the passes are nice. Just make sure you ask the bus driver before you get on if it is going where you want.

I did the math and it would only save a small amount - like $5 total? I think it would be better for us to just get the pass (to ensure we never have to worry about change, and in case we decide to go somewhere additional) But thank you!

Yes, that's why we like to get the passes. We don't plan much ahead so never know what we might decide to do or extra places we might want to explore.

Horseshoe is a definite must see, even on crowded days if you walk to the left past the rock formations yoi can find tranquility. I am not a big fan of crowds, that's why I don't suggest going Day 1. If you want see something unique and nobody has mobility issues, there is a really cool place called 'Glass Beach' about 1 1/2 mile walk from the dockyard. While glass beach is not a good beach for swimming, it is an excellent snorkelling beach. There is also 'Snorkel Park Beach' justva couple hundred yards from where you dock. It is everything I dislike in a beach; crowds, bars and loud music- butvthe snorkeling there is outstanding because the depths vary in a short distance. If you have any more questions let me know. And you are right, you may save a few dollars paying as you travel, but having the passes are nice. Just make sure you ask the bus driver before you get on if it is going where you want.
We were on the fence about Horseshoe because of the crowds but decided to go. It's just too beautiful to miss! I went 15 years ago and thought it was one of the prettiest beaches I'd ever been too. We also got a day pass at Cocoa Reef. The pass includes a three course lunch, one alcoholic beverage, beach chair, umbrella, use of the facilities and pool....all on Elbow Beach!!! So excited!

The coco reef passes are great. Everyone I know who has done it has loved it.

Horseshoe is close enough to do any day using the beach shuttle. If to go, walk left directly past everyone else on the beach past the big rock outcroppings. Keep going. Nirvana is on the other side. Quiet little beaches and coves without all the crowds. The only downside is the chair/umbrella guys won't lug their stuff that far. You need to bring your beach to towels from the ship instead.

Edited by Ohio_Bob

We were on the fence about Horseshoe because of the crowds but decided to go. It's just too beautiful to miss! I went 15 years ago and thought it was one of the prettiest beaches I'd ever been too. We also got a day pass at Cocoa Reef. The pass includes a three course lunch, one alcoholic beverage, beach chair, umbrella, use of the facilities and pool....all on Elbow Beach!!! So excited!

COCO REEF is a great choice, in fact we did it our first day in Bermuda, the location is beautiful and it's nice that they provide lunch with the cost. What we did was as soon as the Cruise Ship docked we bought our 2 day Transportation Pass and headed straight to the Ferry for a ride to Hamilton, once in Hamilton it's a few block walk to the Bus terminal, from there we took the #7 bus to Coco reef (also the same drop off as Bermuda College) we spent most of the day there and caught the #7 bus back towards the Dockyard and got off at the Horseshoe Bay stop and spent about an hour or so there. Please read my review for more information: Feel free to ask me any additional questions- Bermuda is awesome, the Transportation is confusing at first but once you get a handle on that everything is a breeze!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401047&highlight=pride

COCO REEF is a great choice, in fact we did it our first day in Bermuda, the location is beautiful and it's nice that they provide lunch with the cost. What we did was as soon as the Cruise Ship docked we bought our 2 day Transportation Pass and headed straight to the Ferry for a ride to Hamilton, once in Hamilton it's a few block walk to the Bus terminal, from there we took the #7 bus to Coco reef (also the same drop off as Bermuda College) we spent most of the day there and caught the #7 bus back towards the Dockyard and got off at the Horseshoe Bay stop and spent about an hour or so there. Please read my review for more information: Feel free to ask me any additional questions- Bermuda is awesome, the Transportation is confusing at first but once you get a handle on that everything is a breeze!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401047&highlight=pride

I read somewhere you can get dropped off at Warwick Long Bay and walk the beach all the way down (over/up/idk, lol) to Horseshoe Bay. I was thinking that would be a nice way to check out a few of the beaches one day, thoughts? Is it possible/safe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Edited by Kreativ' Gal

I read somewhere you can get dropped off at Warwick Long Bay and walk the beach all the way down (over/up/idk' date=' lol) to Horseshoe Bay. I was thinking that would be a nice way to check out a few of the beaches one day, thoughts? Is it possible/safe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk[/quote']

Yes. Very doable if no one in your party has mobility issues. :) As far as "safe", do you mean "people" safe? Most definitely. IMO, Bermuda has the nicest people of any Island I have ever visited. It is nothing like some of the Caribbean Islands where they are trying to sell you trinkets and weed. The Bermuda people are modest and have incredible manners. (you are not even allowed to wear a bathing suit anywhere other than the beach). :) I remember years ago, a teenager tried to get on the bus at the port. She had on a bikini top and shorts. The lady bus driver said: "young lady, you will put some clothes on before you step onto my bus!!!" Hahahah :) Love the people there.

I read somewhere you can get dropped off at Warwick Long Bay and walk the beach all the way down (over/up/idk' date=' lol) to Horseshoe Bay. I was thinking that would be a nice way to check out a few of the beaches one day, thoughts? Is it possible/safe?

[/quote']

There is a satellite photo of the paths between the beaches here.

SBtS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk[/quote']

A lot of people do that walk, I wish we had. There was so much more we wanted to do. Like the othe poster stated, the locals are very friendly. I remember a group of about 5 teenagers walking towards us being loud, as soon as they got close the quieted down and said to my wife " Good Afternoon, Mam" and stepped aside so that she could get by. Also talk to the bus drivers- let them know where you are going. The bus stops can be confusing becauae the locale isn't well marked.